LAX - Brentwood - Hotels

I'm starting a new separate thread to discuss this question on it's own:

Post cruise we will visit relatives in Brentwood near the VA Medical Center. Having a shuttle to LAX would be lovely and room rates are fine if it looks like the pictures. Since you recc. it-I'm sure it is lovely. My question is-Is this close enough to relatives without driving everyone crazy? There are some high priced options, like Luxe but in addition to the cost we would have to take a taxi. The map seems to put it at about 6 miles and I drive that just for a cup of coffee but these boards send the tone that an extra mile is a big deal. This is for May 9 (Sat) and flying out on May 10 (Sun).

Option 2 in Priceline 4 1/2 stars Culver City and that might work but there is still the taxi issue.

I followed your advice for DT in San Pedro-so I need your help again please. Thank you!!!

Here is my question on this first...

You want to be "close enough to relatives without driving everyone crazy", but I'm not sure exactly what that means.

You also say that the free shuttle to LAX is a bonus, and budget/price may be a concern...

So, I just need a little clarification here.

If you think that the relatives just need to be fairly close (not crazy) drive to and from you hotel (to pick you up and drop you back for the day, or say take you to dinner nearby)...

Then this is not a bad drive for them, especially on a Saturday.

Probably about 10 minutes one way.

Then you can just take the free hotel shuttle to LAX on Sunday, without bothering them.

If you or they want a hotel closer to them, there are a few other options, but then yes, you'd have to pay for taxi or shuttle to LAX.

Let me know, so I can help you out, and we'll figure out a great option for everyone (you and your relatives)...

PS if they are near the VA, then they are in the southeastern most part of Brentwood - so that might make a difference.

i'm starting a new separate thread to discuss this question on it's own:

here is my question on this first...

you want to be "close enough to relatives without driving everyone crazy", but i'm not sure exactly what that means. Need to be fairly close a 10 minute drive is fine. I don't want to pick a hotel that has a difficult access or the road it being torn up in front of it, or if i had picked 2 blocks further it would not be on a one way road.

you also say that the free shuttle to lax is a bonus, and budget/price may be a concern... Luxe is over $200 and taxi is another 65. Radison is about a $100. I hate to spend money i don't have to spend, but family finances are actually going the opposite of the economy and i could spend it if i needed to. I don't want the aunt thinking i need to say at motel 6. If something is worth the extra then i will spend it.

so, i just need a little clarification here.

if you think that the relatives just need to be fairly close (not crazy) drive to and from you hotel (to pick you up and drop you back for the day, or say take you to dinner nearby)... Yep

then this is not a bad drive for them, especially on a saturday.

probably about 10 minutes one way.

then you can just take the free hotel shuttle to lax on sunday, without bothering them.

if you or they want a hotel closer to them, there are a few other options, but then yes, you'd have to pay for taxi or shuttle to lax.

let me know, so i can help you out, and we'll figure out a great option for everyone (you and your relatives)...

ps if they are near the va, then they are in the southeastern most part of brentwood - so that might make a difference.

1 cousin is brentwood, 1 is marina del rey and aunt in near va. I don't know which house we will be at to visit. My mother will stay the night with aunt. Aunt lives off s. Barrington

thank you

1 cousin is brentwood, 1 is marina del rey and aunt in near va. I don't know which house we will be at to visit. My mother will stay the night with aunt. Aunt lives off s. Barrington

thank you

Okay, we're getting closer...;)

One cousin in Marina Del Ray.

One cousin in Brentwood.

Aunt is off South Barrington, which is probably South Brentwood/North West Los Angeles.

then...

Need to be fairly close a 10 minute drive is fine. I don't want to pick a hotel that has a difficult access or the road it being torn up in front of it, or if i had picked 2 blocks further it would not be on a one way road.

I like to hear you say that, as it seems like you really pay attention to the issues and quirks of the various hotels that I report on in the LA area!

this though, gives me another option/idea...

Luxe is over $200 and taxi is another 65. Radison is about a $100. I hate to spend money i don't have to spend, but family finances are actually going the opposite of the economy and i could spend it if i needed to. I don't want the aunt thinking i need to say at motel 6. If something is worth the extra then i will spend it.

Luxe is a hotel that I really like, and I do totally understand the Motel 6/Aunt comment!;)

Radisson is still pretty good, but here is another option that might solve the concerns all around...

The Foghorn Inn in Marina Del Ray!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=724713

Check the link out...

Here's why it might be good for you.

#1 Regarding the concern over relatives:

It's in Marina Del Ray, so whether you are ending up at the cousin's house in Marina Del Ray - or the cousin will be driving to and from the other houses in Brentwood - it's totally convenient for all!

Easy to pick you up or get over to the cousin Marina Del Ray place (probably a nice condo or multi-level townhouse in that area).

Or, if the cousin is driving back and forth to Brentwood, so easy and convenient to pick you up on the way there, and the way back.

(Marina Del Ray is not that big, it's all close for the cousin).

#2 Regarding any concern over "We can only afford Motel 6":

Foghorn Inn, is an older Surfer Hotel.

But, I recommend it now, because they have redone the quaint rooms with flatscreen TVs, and it has lots of cool modern amenities, while still maintaining that old school surfer vibe.

I'd highly recommend a 2nd floor room (with balcony) facing Mother's Beach out front!

#3 Transportation to LAX:

While Radisson has shuttles waiting around on call to go to and from LAX (so a bit faster and ready to go)...

Foghorn Inn has shuttles that are included in the price of the room to and from LAX. You just need to be sure that they know your time frame and requests a bit beforehand (because they are not just sitting in the parking lot "on call" like at Radisson)...

Let me know if this helps, if I'm reading your concerns correctly; and if you have any more details to finalize your plans!

I'm happy to help!

Archived