Wedding dress for the beach

Can anyone share their lessons learned from experiences with wedding dresses for beach weddings? For example, what fabrics and styles work well, and what should be avoided? I don't want to sacrifice my dream of a wedding dress, although I know ballroom princess dresses are out for this type of occasion ;)

Thanks!

Laurie

• 2 weeks later...

I have worked with some brides that marry on the beach and the gowns that seem to work the best seem to be; first a gown without a train. Also; very light weight materials, such as chiffon, they are beautiful when the breezes from the beach blows.

I hope that this is of some assistance to you.

You'd be surprised what will "work" in terms of a beach wedding dress. I had a typical "princess" gown with a bit of modification. I (ok, the seamstress! LOL) removed all the tulle layering from the skirt except for two layers (for a bit of shape) and had the train bustled. It wasn't too warm (married in Barbados, 85 degrees) and held up nicely.

The dress is "Felicity" by Maggie Sottero. The specs are on the website.

http://www.maggiesottero.com/dress.aspx?keywordText=felicity&keywordType=any&page=0&pageSize=12&style=A407

If you find the dress you just have to have, see what you can do to make it work. Don't let the beach part scare you from having the dress of your dreams! :D

TedLora065.jpg

I don't think there are any rules - wear what you like ...you are unlikely to wear it again, so what if it get ruined in the process LOL !:D

If you are concerned about comfort though, I'd advise light natural fiber non- clingy fabrics ; silk, cotton, linen in any style....more important that it isn't too tight fitting than any particular design.

I chose a silk blend floaty evening type dress that was kind of weddingified by a a pretty lace shrug/shawl and my tiara & flowers...it was my second wedding though, so it was never going to be the big fluffy meringue dress !!!

OurWedding12022008081.jpg

I don't think there are any rules - wear what you like ...you are unlikely to wear it again, so what if it get ruined in the process LOL !:D

If you are concerned about comfort though, I'd advise light natural fiber non- clingy fabrics ; silk, cotton, linen in any style....more important that it isn't too tight fitting than any particular design.

I chose a silk blend floaty evening type dress that was kind of weddingified by a a pretty lace shrug/shawl and my tiara & flowers...it was my second wedding though, so it was never going to be the big fluffy meringue dress !!!

OurWedding12022008081.jpg

OMG. that is beautiful!

Mine is something like that (30th anniv vow renewal).

I bought my gown from a bridal boutique that had a special area for DW dresses which was where I got my gown from. But in trying on gowns in other store it's based on what you want and what ur willing to wear. I wanted something not so thin but I think my gown is a bit more than I initially wanted... But I'm fine with that bc I love love love it. Remeber beauty knows no pain (and doesnt get hot hahaha :D I'll be telling myself that all day).

I had a regular wedding gown for my beach wedding, wasn't about to give it up! I just had the train bustled up and wore tall flip-flops to keep it from dragging the ground. The bottom got a bit dirty, but nothing noticable at all!

9809334_MyWedding141.jpg.d7bf6659bb04f28f90edd63a5873ab56.jpg

I had a regular wedding gown for my beach wedding, wasn't about to give it up! I just had the train bustled up and wore tall flip-flops to keep it from dragging the ground. The bottom got a bit dirty, but nothing noticable at all!

Pretty dress! Did your DH wear a suit? Or just what he had on?

I am trying to decide for DH. We are having a vow renewal and I have an ivory dress... I was thinking of white cigar shirt with khaki pants for DH.

I also really like this black shirt with a flower stripe (Hawaiian) down one side of it.....

I can't decide!

Pretty dress! Did your DH wear a suit? Or just what he had on?

I am trying to decide for DH. We are having a vow renewal and I have an ivory dress... I was thinking of white cigar shirt with khaki pants for DH.

I also really like this black shirt with a flower stripe (Hawaiian) down one side of it.....

I can't decide!

He wore what he had on. We actually did two ceremonies (long story) one on the beach and a more formal "at sea" ceremony. He wore a tux for that one.

I bought my gown from a bridal boutique that had a special area for DW dresses which was where I got my gown from. But in trying on gowns in other store it's based on what you want and what ur willing to wear. I wanted something not so thin but I think my gown is a bit more than I initially wanted... But I'm fine with that bc I love love love it. Remeber beauty knows no pain (and doesnt get hot hahaha :D I'll be telling myself that all day).

I am getting married 11/10/09 also! I am getting married in port at Key West. Enjoy!

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived