Has anyone taken the snorkeling boat tour?

beach410

From Nachi Cocum or Playa Palancar that they offer for $39pp? Is teh snorkeling good? How long is the excursion? What kind of boat takes you to the reef?

I havn't taken those boats, but I did look in to them. If the boats from Playa Palancar go to Palancar reef then the snorkeling will probably be very good. Palancar and Columbia are two of the best reefs on the island. I would guess the excursion would last a couple hours and you'd be in a motorboat capable of taking 10-12 with you. But those are just guesses on my part. If you have the opportunity to take that snorkeling tour to Palancar reef, I'd recommend it.

We did one of those snokel trips 5 years ago. We went to three great snorkel spots. After the first one, they offered us a drink. After the next one, one more drink. WHen we finished our last snorkel, they cranked up the music and started really dishing out the tequila. My pretty conservative wife drank a lot of tequila. She even fell down at the pier and said "I fell down and don't even care!".

Haha! It was a great time, got a lot of it on video. We paid paid like $32 and she still thinks it was one of the best tours. It was with mayan paradize (I think).Basically, it was excellent snorkeling and then lots of booze on the way back. I am going back to Coz this summer and will consider finding a tour like this again to go on. After two trips to Paradise beach and one to Chakanaaub, I am ready to be back on a boat!

I just did the snorkel tour from Nachi a couple weeks ago. It was a small boat, maybe holds 12 people. You sort of have to jump on the boat and then pull yourself off since the pier isn't really setup for the small boat. They should work on that I think. Make it easier to get on and off the small boat.

Anyway they take you to two spots. First one was pretty shallow and not really much to look at. A few fish and starfish. Wasn't sure if they took us there just to feel us out and make sure people wouldn't drown or what. Really not worth stopping at. The second spot is better, more fish and deeper with coral, fans, etc to see. They let you off with a guide but you don't have to stay in a tight group which I liked. You sort of drift with the current and the boat follows along.

Oh..it's a "glass bottom" boat too so you can see some stuff on your way out. DW was supposed to go but changed her mind when she saw the small boat. She gets seasick in smaller boats.

They said it would be 15-20 minutes to the first stop but it was more like 40. We were gone a total of 2 1/2 hours.

I had a small turtle swim right in front of me so that was fun!

The snorkeling sort of takes away from your time at Nachi, but since I'd rather snorkel than be sitting on the beach that was ok with me.

We had better snorkeling in Belize and Roatan, but I'd say if you really like to snorkel vs sitting on the beach it's worth it.

Archived