Snorkel-Mart for Scuba?

carla1183

We've been considering the masks at snorkel-mart for our upcoming cruise, especially because they have a very economical choice for prescription masks.

However, we'll be diving, not snorkeling, in Grand Cayman, Roatan, and Cozumel. Will these masks be sturdy enough for scuba? I've never bought any of my own gear (we both certified with class or borrowed gear). I'd like to do things the cheapest way possible, but if the masks cracks at 20 feet under, it doesn't really do me a bit of good!

We've been considering the masks at snorkel-mart for our upcoming cruise, especially because they have a very economical choice for prescription masks.

However, we'll be diving, not snorkeling, in Grand Cayman, Roatan, and Cozumel. Will these masks be sturdy enough for scuba? I've never bought any of my own gear (we both certified with class or borrowed gear). I'd like to do things the cheapest way possible, but if the masks cracks at 20 feet under, it doesn't really do me a bit of good!

Hi,

Even the cheapest masks should hold up under depth but how they fit and the quality of the strap and seals (nothing worst than breaking a strap 1,000 miles from home with no stores in sight) are bigger considerations. You're doing three dive destinations so the chance of a cheap mask strap breaking will be compounded. If you're looking for a reasonable mask, do some more shopping around. I regularly check the sales at scubatoys dot com, diversdirect dot com, scuba dot com and leisurepro dot com, amoung others. I'd trust these sites more and most offer free phone support to talk to a dive professional about the quality of a mask and how well it will hold up before you even buy it.

Randall

Snorkel masks are sometimes not made of tempered glass, and can have tiny air bubbles that cause them to crack under pressure (had a student who didn't believe me once) and ruin your whole day. If you're going to dive, get a real dive mask.

Dale

PADI OWSI

I've never been diving, but do snorkel. I think the name of the website really tells all. Snorkel masks do not need to withstand the pressures of deep diving.

If it was me, I'd go with a dive shop for the mask and just like in anything else it may take a few dollars more up front to save money later.

• 3 months later...

Thanks for yalls help. We finally just sucked it up and called scubatoys (who it turns out is down the street from our house!)

We got Tusa masks and lenses - ended up being $45ish for the mask and $30ish per lense. Not TOO bad and I feel better knowing we have real dive masks.

Thanks for talking me out of going the toocheap route!

Thanks for yalls help. We finally just sucked it up and called scubatoys (who it turns out is down the street from our house!)

We got Tusa masks and lenses - ended up being $45ish for the mask and $30ish per lense. Not TOO bad and I feel better knowing we have real dive masks.

Thanks for talking me out of going the toocheap route!

Did you say Scubatoys? Excellent choice.

Archived