Yikes! Gangway collapse

Mooder

Scary, isn't it?

This was also posted on the CCL Boards and Host Graham made a good comment about how people need to realize that when a ship cancels a port due to high winds, THIS is exactly the reason why. People need to realize that the main concern of the ships crew is to keep passengers safe.

Scary, isn't it?

This was also posted on the CCL Boards and Host Graham made a good comment about how people need to realize that when a ship cancels a port due to high winds, THIS is exactly the reason why. People need to realize that the main concern of the ships crew is to keep passengers safe.

Good point. I think about that every time someone talks about missing GSC. We had to leave (evacuate) GSC early once when winds picked up very suddenly. Between getting on the tender, riding the tender in those conditions, and then crossing the gangway, that was the scariest cruise experience I've ever had :eek: so I completely understand when they choose to skip it.

Just saw it on the Today show. For some reason, someone was filming it. Or maybe it was a security cam.. I went over to the MSC boards and there was no mention of it.

Just saw it on the Today show. For some reason, someone was filming it. Or maybe it was a security cam.. I went over to the MSC boards and there was no mention of it.

I watched that video too on MSNBC - pretty dramatic. It appeared the gangway was covered so I am feeling it is fortunate no one got trapped under water!

Good point. I think about that every time someone talks about missing GSC. We had to leave (evacuate) GSC early once when winds picked up very suddenly. Between getting on the tender, riding the tender in those conditions, and then crossing the gangway, that was the scariest cruise experience I've ever had :eek: so I completely understand when they choose to skip it.

we just had a cruise that missed GSC. We were disappointed but the weather was horrid.

SO, the captain sailed us out into the sun and we floated around in sun and warmth, instead of going to GSC where it was cloudy,windy and very cold that day.

We certainly didn't complain. I was THRILLED to death.

This is what I love about cruising...The Captain has the ability to have some 'control' over whether you are in good weather or bad, unlike when you take a land vacation and you're stuck.

I'll just make sure to book another cruise that goes to GSC in the future. It's not like the island is going anywhere. :p

we just had a cruise that missed GSC. We were disappointed but the weather was horrid.

SO, the captain sailed us out into the sun and we floated around in sun and warmth, instead of going to GSC where it was cloudy,windy and very cold that day.

We certainly didn't complain. I was THRILLED to death.

This is what I love about cruising...The Captain has the ability to have some 'control' over whether you are in good weather or bad, unlike when you take a land vacation and you're stuck.

Great point!!!

I'll just make sure to book another cruise that goes to GSC in the future. It's not like the island is going anywhere. :p

Not like the island on 'Lost'! :)

I'll have to remember that point about cruising into good weather - next time I'm talking to someone who doesn't 'get' cruising.

A few years back we were sailing on the RCI Sov. of the Seas and once again were unable to be tendered to the private island Coco Cay, because the winds were so strong.

Of course folks were dissappointed, so this is what the captain did.....

He got on and made an announcement that to make up for missing the island, he would speed up the ship for our trip back to Port Canaveral, so that on the way back we could catch the night time shuttle launch!

We had the wonderful opportunity to see the Shuttle launch while we were out in the middle of the ocean in pitch darkness....it was spectacular!!! If you have never seen a night launch, nothing can prepare you for the beauty of it! It lights up the sky, just like day light! You can watch it forever and even see when the the two parts seperate!!!

Having lived in Florida for years, we had seen several launches...and even we were impressed.

All the folks out on deck to watch (many of whom had never seen a launch) were in awe! They actually broke out in applause!

I saw it on Fox News.

If you ever want to see what's going on in the cruising world, go to cruisejunkie . com

It will curl your hair...you may never cruise again! :eek: lol

A few years back we were sailing on the RCI Sov. of the Seas and once again were unable to be tendered to the private island Coco Cay, because the winds were so strong.

He got on and made an announcement that to make up for missing the island, he would speed up the ship for our trip back to Port Canaveral, so that on the way back we could catch the night time shuttle launch!

We had the wonderful opportunity to see the Shuttle launch while we were out in the middle of the ocean in pitch darkness....it was spectacular!!! If you have never seen a night launch, nothing can prepare you for the beauty of it! It lights up the sky, just like day light! You can watch it forever and even see when the the two parts seperate!!!

Having lived in Florida for years, we had seen several launches...and even we were impressed.

All the folks out on deck to watch (many of whom had never seen a launch) were in awe! They actually broke out in applause!

Thank you for this wonderful description. I can only imagine what it would look like and hope that I get the opportunity to see it for myself once they have more cruises from Port C.

Scary stuff! On my Scotland/Ireland cruise last year, someone stepped off by accident between the dock and ship. I'm not sure exactly how it happened, but we only heard about it because it delayed our departure a bit, so the captain announced what had happened.

Apparently it was an older lady, and one of the crew - Jimmy - jumped in after her and got her out. She had to go to the hospital and wasn't able to return to the ship for the remainder of the cruise. I think it happened in Belfast. I believe she flew home from Belfast, not sure how much later.

Jimmy was honoured at a ceremony and was given a day off - with his family, who happened to be on the cruise, apparently - in one of the ports afterwards. He was also introduced and got a standing ovation at the introduction of staff and crew at the end of the cruise.

Thank you Fridaythe13th! We Friday the 13th people have to stick together.:D There was a Friday the 13th in Feb and another one upcoming this month...awesome, and very unusual!

I couldn't think of a good screen name and since it was a Friday the 13th when I signed up I thought it was wicked cool... I then happened to take a picture of my feet in the elevator on RC Mariner on a Friday so I just had to make it my avitar.:D

We were on our first and only cruise so far, in Mediterranean, when captain advised a force 8 was in our path to Cannes - so we were missing that port and had an extra sea day. As it happens the storm was a force 10 and two cruise ships caught it in took damage! We had dinner that evening with a couple who constantly moaned and groaned because Cannes was the only reason they were on the cruise! I politely stated that I was grateful that the captain decided the safety of his ship, passengers and crew was his first priority. It proved to us that we were right to opt for the open seating restaurant - we didn't come across the moaners again. Don't get me wrong I sympathize that their main port was omitted, but at least we were able to explore four later locations safely.

the scariest part to me was when the moring cable s snap loose..those

could easily cut someone in half :eek:

Dear God, I didn't even consider that but you're right!

Holy Crap! :eek:

:eek:How COOL is that?? !!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D

Nice!

My Aunt (a spoiled little brat) pitched a holy fit in the Captains face when they couldn't do a scheduled stop at St. Barts (some type of unfavorable weather.) The captain upgraded them from an inside cabin to a suite. Knowing how she can be, I'm amazed he didn't make her walk the plank.

Scary stuff! On my Scotland/Ireland cruise last year, someone stepped off by accident between the dock and ship. I'm not sure exactly how it happened, but we only heard about it because it delayed our departure a bit, so the captain announced what had happened.

Apparently it was an older lady, and one of the crew - Jimmy - jumped in after her and got her out. She had to go to the hospital and wasn't able to return to the ship for the remainder of the cruise. I think it happened in Belfast. I believe she flew home from Belfast, not sure how much later.

Jimmy was honoured at a ceremony and was given a day off - with his family, who happened to be on the cruise, apparently - in one of the ports afterwards. He was also introduced and got a standing ovation at the introduction of staff and crew at the end of the cruise.

What a story! Thank you. I am so impressed by the bravery of some of these crew members!!

This is great, thanks for sharing,you had a cool captain on RCL

Au contraire, mon ami. There was a thread on the msc site onto which I posted a link to the video with sound. There were already several other video links posted when I did so. Either it has been removed or drifted off page one.

Archived