Shopping ???

QUIGONATOR

• 2 weeks later...

This forum is about Costa Rica. If you identify which city, you have a better chance of getting an answer. ;-)

I would like to know the same about Puntarenas. How far from the port? Can you walk to shopping?

• 1 month later...
Is this a port where there is a market or shopping @ the port? Is this a safe place to shop, or is this a place we have to take an excursion to be safe (like Belize)? What kind of goods do they sell?

If you are talking about Puerto Limon, yes there is a very safe and nice tourist shopping area close to the pier. You can buy souvenirs, coffee, bracelets, local folk art, etc. Prices are "controlled" by the sellers informal union. They will offer things for 1 for $2 or 2 for $3. Beyond that they will not change prices.

I would like to know the same about Puntarenas. How far from the port? Can you walk to shopping?

You will find quite a number of merchant stalls at the head of the pier about 3 deep extending from the edge of beach to the road and I would estimate the market to be about 2 blocks long. Items for sale will include t-shirts, hats, sun dresses, pottery, and a signifcant about of rather nice wood products. I was particularly impressed with some of the laminated cutting boards and cheese trays that were made with a number of colorful local woods....but alas one only needs so many cutting boards.There were a number of other textile items offered but we were on a mission for sun dresses for young granddaughers. Be prepared to bargin.

Archived