Which cruise line and ship would be best??

chicklily41

We are thinking of traveling with a friend on a cruise this fall. He uses a large power wheelchair. He does not want to try a 7 day cruise the first time he goes. He would be more comfortable with a 3 or 4 day cruise. We will be driving to a port from Georgia.

Does anyone have a suggestion of which cruise line would have the most modern and accessible ship? I know many of the newest ships sail for 7 days or longer. We are considering the Disney cruise line for this reason. However, I have read that there is a lip to go onto the balcony. Is this true?

Can anyone recommend another alternative cruise line and ship? Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. Thanks! :)

We are thinking of traveling with a friend on a cruise this fall. He uses a large power wheelchair. He does not want to try a 7 day cruise the first time he goes. He would be more comfortable with a 3 or 4 day cruise. We will be driving to a port from Georgia.

Does anyone have a suggestion of which cruise line would have the most modern and accessible ship? I know many of the newest ships sail for 7 days or longer. We are considering the Disney cruise line for this reason. However, I have read that there is a lip to go onto the balcony. Is this true?

Can anyone recommend another alternative cruise line and ship? Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. Thanks! :)

I don't think you'll find any ship that is 100% totally accessible. If the only issue is a "lip to go onto the balcony", that might be the best you'll find. Depending on how skilled your friend is in his chair, a lip might not be a barrier at all...or may be huge. You'd best talk with him about what he thinks he can manage.

You do want to try to book the newest ship in any fleet, as that is likely to be the most accessible.

And you'll need to book early, as none of the lines have very many handicap-accessible cabins available, and they are booked quickly. The sooner you book now, the better.

For what you would pay on a 3 or 4 day Disney you could do a 7 on most any other cruise line

We like Princess each ship we have been on has had different access to the balcony. The crown has a built in ramp and the lip that goes over the track is automatic and lifts automatically when you turn the handle to close the balcony door.

Cindy

For what you would pay on a 3 or 4 day Disney you could do a 7 on most any other cruise line

It may be true that Disney is more expensive than other lines, but you get return for your investment 100 times over. Disney is exceptional in their service and accomedations. Their non-HC rooms are larger than that on other ships and their HC rooms are very roomy and easy to get around. The staff will happily assist you with any of your requests, and seem to never break a sweat. :) IMO, there is no question as to which line to choose, especially if you are looking for a line that is accommodating to those with disabilities. Nobody does it better than Disney.

Like to other poster said, no line will be 100%, but nobody comes closer.

I would just add that your friend should also take his manual wheelchair and have friends push him for shore excursions. Finding wheelchair lift type transportation is difficult, and rarely available through the ship's excursions. For ports where there is much to see nearby the pier, often there are not curb cuts or ramps, so bumping up a step or two is commonly needed. Not practical with a power chair.

We rarely get a cabin with a balcony. My mother has MS and drafts bother her. We sit by the pool if we want to sit outside, and the cheapest accessible cabins are fine for us...and let us take more cruises (since they are less expensive).

I would also look at itineraries that have few if any tender ports. These can be problematic for a wheelchair user, and most will not accomodate power chairs at all.

I would call several lines - include HAL - and asked about problems that you may encounter. I think the main problem will be getting on and off the ship. Probably not at the US port but the others. Some ports use tendors, HAL will take a manual wheelchair but you have to be able to get up and down the steps. Also some ports have ramps that maybe hard for you to handel the wheel chair. HAL will give you plenty of help but what they can do will vary by ship and port so you need a one on one discussion at some point.

I would reconsider the 7 day cruise. On the ship there should be no problem, its gettin on and off.

Also may have a problem getting the large chair in the cabin.

If you are willing to drive down to Ft. Lauderdale, consider RCCL's Enchantment of the Seas for a 4 or 5 night itinerary. If you are willing to wait until November or later, you'll have more choices as more lines will have their ships back in the Caribbean by then. For example, RCCL's Navigator of the Seas which is a larger, newer ship with many accessible features will get back from Europe on November 21st and will leave that day on a 5 night Western Caribbean cruise.

Typically though, most cruiselines use their older, less accessible ships for the shorter cruises so you may be limiting yourself by not considering a 6 to 8 night cruise.

we were on the Disney Wonder in '07 and my wife uses a very large powerchair and we had an accessible balcony room and had no problems with the lip. You will not be sorry if you choose Disney. They spoiled us, when in line at the buffet they would provide a to take her plate and get what she wanted and the whole staff was very accommodating. The only complaint with Disney was the price. Was on Carnival Glory back in January but no balcony. No problems at all on that ship. We are sailing RCI Freedom of the Seas this November and have an accessible Junior Suite and can't wait!!!

It may be true that Disney is more expensive than other lines, but you get return for your investment 100 times over. Disney is exceptional in their service and accomedations. Their non-HC rooms are larger than that on other ships and their HC rooms are very roomy and easy to get around. The staff will happily assist you with any of your requests, and seem to never break a sweat. :) IMO, there is no question as to which line to choose, especially if you are looking for a line that is accommodating to those with disabilities. Nobody does it better than Disney.

Like to other poster said, no line will be 100%, but nobody comes closer.

Since your name is DisneyCruiser and since all the cruises you list are Disney cruises have you been on other ships and Other lines?

I have sailed Disney and Princess. If you are adults traveling w/o children I would recc. Princess. We took MIL in wc and FIL in scooter on Crown in Feb. Caribe 303 was fantastic. Huge room and balcony. Bathroom was splendid. Disney is very good at their craft but I detest lines and they view lines as a normal event. We found it had to get away from children. Pnly 1 bar is for adults. The adult pool was child free but the area around the pool often had lots. For families it absolutely wonderful. When Cinderella talked to the little girls my eyes turned misty, but for 2 adults I much prefer Princess.

We booked Eastern because 3 of the 4 ports you are dockside with no tender. Just drive right off!

I have cruised Disney, Princess, and Royal Caribbean.

Didn't like Princess (we were on the Grand).

We crruised Disney 4 times, both Wonder and Magic. I love all things Disney. The drawbacks, the locations of the h/c cabins, they are aft and not near the elevator. the elevators are very very small, be patient and give yourself plenty of time to get anywhere. The seating in the Walt Disney Theatre is either the very back or the very front. The prices are high, but book off-season if possible. Their private is the best for wheelers!!

Don't get me wrong, I would do Disney again in a heartbeat.

We have cruised about 25 times on Royal Caribbean, in my experience I love the Radiance class. The Majesty (their oldest ship) is very do-able too. Each ship has plusses and minuses. We are cruising on the Navigator i anut 3 weeks!!!!!!!!! Can't wait.

Sherry

Shebbieal,

Please let us know what you didn't like about the Grand? We are booked on it in 2010 on a 14 day cruise. It is our first cruise on Princess ( usually do RCI) and have heard very good to very bad.

We are not hard to please, and quite used to cruising and all the foibles associated. Just want to get as much info as possible.

Thanks Ann

The main theatre h/c seating is TERRIBLE ! ! ! I had to bend down to watch the shows.It seemed like a lot of floors couldn't handle chairs, so we did a lot of up and down on the elevators, example (don't remember which floors) going thru on deck 5, had to up to seven, go thru whatever, then back down to 5. The ship wasn't terrible just aggravating.

We have had much better experiences with Royal Caribbean when it comes to access.

Sherry

Thanks Shebbieal, Yes we like RCI, but have done so many of their itineraries we wanted something different. On the Voyager we found it necessary to do a lot of the up and over then downs. Most of the time it was to avoid congested area.

But, we have plenty of time and it really didn't bother us very much.

Thanks Again.

Archived