My Rant About The MSC Message Board

nevis92

If you spend time on any of the other cruise line’s message boards, you will see a pattern of behavior. The boards are filled with “regulars” who are enthusiasts of that particular cruise line. They’ve been referred to as cheerleaders. They take great pride in their favorite cruise line and circle the wagons when someone drops in to leave a negative review. Almost automatically, they dismiss the reviewers negative review and attack the reviewer as inexperienced, ill-informed, impossible to please, or simply and idiot. Some of the more understanding cheerleaders are respectful of the reviewer but because of their bias, will always make excuses for the cruise line’s shortcomings or missteps.

My point is that all the mainstream, US cruise lines have very active message boards with many more participants and posts per day than MSC. Holland America has a particularly loyal group of participants on their board, many having cruised together multiple times. HAL’s board is, with some exceptions, filled with useful, constructive information and healthy discussions about past and future cruises. They complain about service, food, entertainment, etc. Much of the same issues discussed on MSC’s boards. Except MSC, which has only had one or two ships in N. America for just a few months a year, hasn’t built up a message board culture on Cruise Critic. With far fewer posters, and even fewer “regulars”, this board behaves differently.

This board has a high percentage of “trolls”, folks who just joined Cruise Critic, have “been on over 5000 cruises, and finally felt they had to speak out about how terrible MSC is”. I’ve noticed some of these people haven’t even sailed with MSC as they pontificate about the shortcomings or the African Homo Sexual Society Group. By the way, to the same person who has registered several different alias’ on this board and continues to post about this subject, I may not be an African or gay, but I know how to spell homosexual! And you have revealed yourself as the same ignorant person every time you post on the subject.

My point is that 99% of us that visit MSC’s message boards are trying to make informed decisions about what cruise to take next, or how best to prepare for the one we’ve already booked. It is unfortunate that there seems to be a vocal minority that wants to see MSC fail in the N. American market and simply go away. I’m not discounting that there have been many legitimate negative reviews which warranted discussion. One only has to visit the Rick Sasso thread to see that the negative reviews in early January were heard by MSC loud and clear. They took the unconventional step to address them in a forum with MSC’s President. If you haven’t read the thread, I highly recommend it.

So here is some red meat for the conspiracy theorists out there. Since it goes without question that the cruise line’s employees closely follow the message boards of their respective brand, would it be fair to assume that there are employees of competing brands that are reading MSC’s boards? If you agree, then hold on to that thought for a moment.

A high percentage of N. Americans who cruise, do so on one of the brands under the Royal Caribbean or Carnival Corp umbrella. Both are HUGE publically-traded corporations with a lot of ships to fill in an increasingly difficult environment. They play by the same “set of rules” in the way they market and sell to the cruising public.

Along comes MSC, a privately-held, family owned company with close to 400 container ships around the world. They have A LOT of cash and A LOT of clout. They have business relationships at many more world ports than any other cruise line due to their cargo operations. So MSC decides to sink some ridiculous amount of money ($8 billion?) into cruise ships and suddenly has the youngest fleet in the world, and is the fastest growing cruise line in the world.

So a corporate board member of Carnival or RC isn’t a little worried? They aren’t worried that MSC’s ships are gorgeous vessels? They aren’t worried that MSC isn’t beholden to stockholders like they are? They aren’t worried that MSC’s fares are FAR LOWER. They aren’t really REALLY worried that “kids sail free” is going to force them to offer something similar?

Why they SHOULD worry is that in a very short period of time, MSC has become a major “player” in the cruise business. They should worry that their former colleague, Richard Sasso, is no dummy and knows what changes need to be made in order to see that MSC thrives in this market. They should worry because as their stock value goes down, capacity and debt continue to climb. That puts increasing pressure on them to fill ships while trying to avoid cutting fares.

I’m sure that no employees from competing cruise lines have EVER posted something negative about MSC. I’m sure they’ve never registered as a new member of Cruise Critic and claimed to have just disembarked from a horrendous week aboard the Orchestra filled with sub-par food and evil Italian “stares”. Yes, early January was not good for the Orchestra, but as the more positive reviews keep showing up by seasoned, legitimate Cruise Critic members, the more the “trolls” want to make sure none of us forget that MSC is “horrible” or “the worst cruise ever”.

I am looking forward to my cruise aboard the Orchestra in two weeks. I will be sure to report back on my experience. I’ll include the good, the bad, and everything in between. What I will not do is take down the whole ship because of a hidden agenda to see them fail. Nor will I prop them up in an effort to prove the naysayers wrong. But I will take the good advice from those that have recently been aboard and use that to make my vacation more enjoyable. Oh yeah, I almost forgot, that is what Cruise Critic is all about.

Happy Sailing.

I'm with you, Nevis!!

Is it bad etiquette to ask a non-cruiser with a weird agenda to fly away from the forum? If it is I'll just wish for that, quietly.

(Please crackerjack please go and reinvent yourself elsewhere...PLEASE!!!)

I believe there is only one ***** that has registered under many different alias and continues to pester the family members that are cruising on April 11 of how the African Homosexual Society will be having pool parties and wearing their leathers on this cruise. First of all, who ever you are, let me mention you are very inconsistant with your stories, and I highly doubt you will be cruising at all. Secondly, if I'm wrong i'm really sorry I had to change my cruise because I would have loved to have witnessed the stories you have written, thirdly, I have been in touch with MSC and they don't even know who you guys are. But wait, you once wrote your group had booked all of deck 12 with only one room available, and then in another post you state that you are a very small group cruising because you all work in retail and only a few members from your group are able to afford a cruise. Do us all a favour, Get yourself a life and leave the cruisers alone. To the cruisers on April 11, I highly doubt there will be any such group on board, and if there is, I'm sure they will be so small you wont even notice them. I look forward to reading the reviews from April 11. I'll be cruising in approx. 2 weeks and will be looking forward to it.

I highly doubt that Micky Arison is trembling with fear over MSC. He's good at playing monopoly, just ask Royal Caribbean.

Want the real story? Read "Devils On The Deep Blue Sea" by Kristopher Garin.

I highly doubt that Micky Arison is trembling with fear over MSC. He's good at playing monopoly, just ask Royal Caribbean.

I will definitely pick up a copy. Looks like a great book. Thanks.

I just picked up the book at the library and of what I've read so far, I am really going to enjoy this book! Thanks again for the recommendation.

I'm glad. Indeed a compelling read. Sometimes I wish I didn't know what I know. However, It doesn't keep me from cruising.

Another read is "The Mouse Betrayed". As you might guess it exposes corporate shinnanagins and the dark side of Disney. I offer that one out to friends and family and they refuse...don't want to know. How can you trash Mickey Mouse? But that's a subject for another board.

Enjoy the book. Enjoy your cruise. Give me the skinny on MSC when you return.

P.S. I noticed you were on the Monarch of the Seas in 1996. Our was early December of that year.

Nevis92 - Well-written post! Your comparison of this board with that of HAL and other busier boards also applies to Costa's board -- it doesn't have the year-round chatter and broad repeat base of HAL, NCL RCCL, etc.

You'll note that I've yet to sail on MSC. Came to this board out of curiosity as the group that we have sailed with the last few years (Andy Cooney's Cruise of Irish Stars) sailed on the Orchestra on the Feb 7th trip. Since we didn't make the trip, I was interested to read any feedback on the trip. (The 2010 trip is on the Costa Atlantica, though the change may or may not be reflective of the MSC experience. It simply could have been a business decision on the tour's part.)

Again, great post Nevis!

I decided to booked in less than 24 hours, than found this site. I am starting to think I made a mistake. My cousin and I sail together 30 years ago, NCL Skyward. She likes to sunbath and I like to snorkel. She is a nurse and I am a high school teacher. We just like to have some sun and fun. Both of us are very friendly and like to meet new people from all over the world.

Question, Should we go with the ships excursion or try for natives at the port. I have my answer for Cayo Laventoda (sp) we will stay on the beach and enjoy. But the rest of the port of calls St. Martins, Antigua, and Bahamas?

I decided to booked in less than 24 hours, than found this site. I am starting to think I made a mistake. My cousin and I sail together 30 years ago, NCL Skyward. She likes to sunbath and I like to snorkel. She is a nurse and I am a high school teacher. We just like to have some sun and fun. Both of us are very friendly and like to meet new people from all over the world.

Question, Should we go with the ships excursion or try for natives at the port. I have my answer for Cayo Laventoda (sp) we will stay on the beach and enjoy. But the rest of the port of calls St. Martins, Antigua, and Bahamas?

You didn't make a mistake! Just go with the attitude that you will have fun and you will! I wasn't sure what to expect going in and we had a great time and can't wait to go again, WITH MSC!

I haven't looked at your exact itinerary but I am a nervous traveler. For our itinerary last week the times in port were pretty short. If you miss the boat you are out of luck. I was more comfortable sticking with the ship excursions. If we were going to be in port all day long and I was just booking something for a few hours that would be different but all it would take is a small delay and you could be stuck.

You will have plenty of chances to sunbathe, and there is some great snorkling. Check out the excursions that the ship is offering when you get on board (they added a bunch from what was shown on their website) and see if they have things you like at price you want. There will be plenty of people to meet you at the port if you want to go out locally, but just be sure you stick with ship time and that your guide understands that has you back in plenty of time.

HAVE FUN!

With regards to your question about ship excursions vs local tour operators, you are probably better off checking out the Ports of Call boards on this site. There is a huge amount of info there. St. Maarten and Nassau are very developed so you are probably safe booking with the locals but there is never a guarantee. Antigua...no idea...sorry.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Just finished the book and it was a great read! Regardless of one's interest in the cruise business, it is a great business story.

After reading the book, it makes me even more hopeful that MSC will be successful. We need competition for the big players.

I also highly recommend this book. Anyone with interest in the cruise business will enjoy it.

I pretty much knew the story behind Carnival but what really surprised me was the repeated misfires that Royal Caribbean had over the years. It will be hard for them to do anything but play catch up with Carnival.

Certainly makes MSC an attractive buy for RCCL, doesn't it?

One last message from onboard the Orchestra. We are getting ready to depart from Key West. So far, I'm very impressed with the ship. Our first night's meal at Villa Borghese was excellent and service has been great.

I can't think of anything to complain about, (yet), so pleased to say our first impression is very positive. Nothing to worry about.

MSC will put downward pressure on the big cruise line's rate structure. I can't see why anyone would cruise the others when they can bring their kids on MSC for free.

Increased capacity + decreased demand + new competition = trouble for Carnival/RCCL/NCL.

Archived