Last week on IOS -- tragic accident...

Does anyone know what really happened to the lady who fell overboard with her motorized cart? We heard 2 different stories, one she did drown and the other she was in the hospital in Cozumel for shock! Can someone tell me what really happened and is she OK?

Donna

How terrible for her! I haven't read anything about it. Have you checked the Cruise Events at Sea web site?

The only way I can think that would happen would be on the gangplank or attempting to get on a tender boat.

P.S. I just checked Events at Sea and there is no mention of this incident yet. Keep checking though. Sometimes it takes a few days for incidenst to be posted.

We were on the IOS last week. We were walking back to this ship and we were just passed the security guard that is outside the boat when we heard a man yell for help. We saw the lady in the water. My husband and I ran up to the ship and told the crew members who were working (taking sea passes, etc) and they just looked at us. After yelling 3 times at them that someone had fallen in the water and they needed help, they finally took off running to help, but without any type of floatation device. Then the security guard came for the life preserver. He was in such a panic and rush that the rope from the preserver got caught in the que stands and he knocked over everything. Finally a female crew member jumped in the water with the lady. It seemed like there was lots of confusion and that they weren't really prepared for a situation like this. The security guards left there posts and someone could have easily gotten on the ship. There were lots of crew standing around outside on the pier, but no one was really doing anything. They were yelling at each other to get life jackets, etc. Although we did not see the lady actually be lifted out of the water, she was floating fine when we saw her. Reports from the crew (including the female crew member who jumped in with the lady) said that the lady was doing fine and was on the ship. An ambulance came, but I do not know if the lady went to the hopsital, but it was reported that she was back on the ship that night. Our table mates said that they saw the motorized scooter sitting at the entry way. Apparently a dive boat came over to help and pulled the scooter up from the water.

Thanks everyone who replied, especially eeyore81. So that is 3 stories now, but sounds like she was OK. Yes, it was off the pier between pier and ship. Doesn't explain what happened though as to why she went off, could have been a medical problem first.

Donna

How terrible for her! I haven't read anything about it. Have you checked the Cruise Events at Sea web site?

The only way I can think that would happen would be on the gangplank or attempting to get on a tender boat.

P.S. I just checked Events at Sea and there is no mention of this incident yet. Keep checking though. Sometimes it takes a few days for incidenst to be posted.

What is that website?

Donna

From what I heard standing on the pier, she went beyond the do not cross red line to get on smooth concrete. She was looking at the water, etc and just went too far. It was extremely windy that day. I do not know if the wind played a part in it or not. Yes it was in between the pier and the ship. It was my understanding that in order to get her out of the water, they had to swim under the pier to the other side. It was very scary just watching everything. I learned a lesson to make sure to stay in the center of the pier and hold on to your children and family.

Glad she is ok.

What amazes me is that the crew didn't respoind immediately when eeyore81 reported the urgent situation to them. I'd think it would be treated like a pax overboard situation, all hands on deck to assist in the situation, not a lot of standing around.

From what I understand, is that eeyore81 asked the security personnel that check passengers in. I thought I heard that they are not employees of the cruiseline, and are actually personnel from the ports that are visited. They may not have had the preparation that crew get for such accidents.

As for that red line...I pointed that out to my husband two weeks ago, as we were watching passengers return to the Voyager. I made comments about how many passengers were crossing that line and looking into the water. Well, the next day while coming back in from Costa Maya, what does my DH do? Goes right over, crosses the red line and looks down between the ship and the water. :eek:

I just hope the lady is well. ;)

Archived