Is Progresso safe right now?

I'm wanting to know if progresso is safe for us to be in right now? As time gets close for my family and I to set sail (in 12 days from New Orleans on the Fantasy) all this talk of the drug wars is it safe? I kinda think that alot of it is just over done by the media but you never know. Could this just be that some of our US beach spots are tired of all our teens going to mexico for spring break and they are losing out so they are feeding this fire to make it look worse then it is? :confused:

The state of Yucatan is one of the safest places you'll ever find. I have read of NO drug wars in the area. You'll be fine in Progreso and I'll bet you'll have a great time!

Thats a surefire bet. Like money in the bank! Thank You for the info. :D

I personally believe that the Yucatan is so safe that I am headed down in just 4 more days to purchase a home just outside of Progreso (Chelem, to be exact). My family of 4 will be moving from Oklahoma to Chelem this summer and we can't wait to close on our house Friday!!!

One of our local radio stations had a large group that just return from Progresso. They raved on how much fun that they had and felt safe. Alot of the local people that they met were glad to see them and ensured them of being safe

I went last year and never felt unsafe. I was with a group of 4 other single ladies. I wouldn't have ventured far from the tourist area though. There were plenty of mericans in the part the ship dropped us off. I felt like the locals were excited to have us there. I think this is a new port of call, and the locals are excited to have the boost to their economy. Here are my tips.

1. Bring a snack from the boat, it semed undeveloped and we were scared to eat the local food. We did have some nachos, but what could you do to contaminate a nacho? We figured the hot oil would kill anything. LOL. If you eat there try to stick with "safe" stuff and eat from crowded places where the food is selling more and will likely be fresher.

2. Don't expect a luxury beach. Was pretty basic, no water toys, or anything. Restrooms were basic. Bring your own toilet paper just in case. :-0. The had some in the bathroom we used, but I always grab a few sheets when I leave the ship.

3. Take a look around the flea market. Nice local vendors there. Got some great bargains. They had some great music and dancers.

4. Use common sense. Keep an eye on your valuables, don't flash a lot of money, keep your jewelry including wedding rings in the safe on the ship, stay with your group if possible. Keep your wallet in your front pocket. Don't leave purse unattended. I do this on WHATEVER island I visit. Not just Progresso.

5. Bring cash. I wouldn't trust using my credit card and definitely not a debit card here. You would NEVER get your money back if they overchaerge you.

6. Have an open mind, it may not be luxurious, but if you try to see the bright side, you can make a decent day of it. DO NOT expect luxury. (how many times have I said that)

If you don't like it, the bus runs back to the ship several times a day, I think every 30

minutes, so you can always go back. Don't stay on the ship and not try this island. You will see a lot of negative reviews, but you should at least try it, since it's part of what you paid for in your cruise fare.

Archived