Camp Carnival ???

boocicle

I have been a lurking on the board for a few years and have really enjoyed reading all the good advice on cruising. I finally decided to join and ask a few questions.

We are planning a trip on the Glory and wanted to know if the Camp Carnival for toddlers (ours is almost 3) ever fills up? We also wanted to know if they have the kids nap during the day? Trying to see if we can enjoy the pool for a few hours during the day. Seems like the best time to enjoy the sun is when she needs to nap.

Thanks for checking out my post and I hope you don't think we are bad parents for dropping off our child for our own selfish motives. LOL

Hi there...

They know how many kids willl be on the cruise before it sets sail... and they arrange staff based on this.

They often have the older kids go to the Disco or other areas, so there is plenty of room in the playroom!

The hours of Camp are usually from 9am - Noon, then family time in the afternoon, and from 7-10PM.

Personally, I think naptime should be done in your room... but that is just my opinion. Camp is meant for children to participate in activities. The only time that they do schedule sleep time is at night.....

Catrin

I can't speak for Carnival, but on Disney there was no napping during the day - just lots of fun activities. Don't feel bad about wanting to leave your child for a few hours so you can enjoy some adult activities. We left our son in the club every night so we could enjoy dinner alone. He loved it and would beg to go. Worked out great for everyone!

As the other posted said they know the amount of kids on the ship before

you sail. Thus have the right number of staff...

Kids which are age 3 will be in groups with kids 2 - 5. If there large amount

of kids they can break them into 2 smaller groups at times.

The kids will have a lot of fun. Hours start around 9 - 12, 2 - 5, 7 - 10 give or

take a few minutes. You can then pay for baby sitting hours after 10PM until

2 or 3AM at $6.00 per hour. So if you and your spouse want to stay out late

you can.

DON'T feel bad for dropping you kids off. They will have FUN and so will you.

My kids until they got about 11 love the camp. They would rather be in camp

than with us. Once they got 11 years old they had been on 6 or 7 cruises and

it became old hat for them. They still enjoyed it and would pick and choice

the activities...

I would suggest that you simply plan your Sea Day around her usual schedule.

Also note that the hours of 9-12,2-5 and 7-10 are Sea Day Hours....these hours are different on Port Days, since Camp Carnival stays open more to handle the children of Adults who are on excursions.

Camp Carnival is one of the reasons cruising makes such a good family vacation. My boys love camp carnival and having kid only activities and meeting new friends. We love having adult time. My boys did prefer spending the sea days with us prior to dinner so they can hang out by the pool and then going off to camp carnival or Circle C activities after dinner. And both boys love the after hours parties and activities. At $10 per hour for 2, its definately worth it!

Great advice from everyone, you can also learn lots more & even find Capers for each day on the Family cruise section. It's about half way down the main topic list where it says Special Interest Cruising.

I would suggest that you simply plan your Sea Day around her usual schedule.

Also note that the hours of 9-12,2-5 and 7-10 are Sea Day Hours....these hours are different on Port Days, since Camp Carnival stays open more to handle the children of Adults who are on excursions.

Thanks for all the good advice. I was curious how everyone feels about leaving their children on the ship while they leave on an excursion. The wife and I talked about that and we were a little uncomfortable about it. Maybe we should not be.

Again THANKS to everyone.

To me, that's partly based on your personal comfort level. Depending on whether the "What If's" are considered and how much stock you put in them. To me, it boils down to, "under the 'perfect storm' of circumstances, your child could end up sailing to the next port (or two) without you'". PERSONALLY, that freaks me out.

Other things to be considered are what KIND of excursion you're going on (SCUBA diving versus a tour of the island or shopping, etc.) and whether it's independant or ship sponsored. Either way, the above situation is a possibility, it just depends on whether Carnival would be notified of what held you up and whose dime was paying for you to travel to the next port to catch the ship.

Just things to think about. You may also benefit from the "Family Cruising" board on here as well.

Our son is 6 and we haved talked alot about leaving him on the ship if we do an excursion, we have decided that we are not that comfortable with the idea (I guess the "what ifs" got to us too!:rolleyes:). Our fear is that what if he gets sick (or hurt) and we are somewhere on an island and they cannot get us back quick enough? But that is just us (he is our only child too so that may play into it as well) and I at least want to be close by just in case. DH will probably do the diving (he likes it and I do not so it works) with our friends and I will shop (with son in tow) or do the beach until DH comes back. We are fine with that as this is not our first cruise so a little relaxing is probably in order. Now, we will be taking advantage of the late night babysitting offered by camp carnival so that we can stay out late each night. Good luck with your decision!

Archived