Rough waters sailing to Canada from New York?? What's the norm to Saint Johns..

Just wondering how are the waters sailing out of New York going to Canada. or Saint Johns NB.. Are the waters usually rough in August and September. Has anyone ever sailed to Saint John and had smooth calm waters.. I know nothing etched in stone but just trying to get an idea of the norm is whenb sailing out of New York..

Also can someone recommend which side of the ship to book, port or starboard when docking in Saint John NB?? Hoping to book a cabin this weekend that will give a good view while docked in St Johns NB.... I believe the triumph dock at the new pier...

I am not sure about August, but when I went in June the waters were pretty calm. The only thing I experience was a lot of rain, but that didn't stop anything. Also, if you are worried about getting seasick, I usually take something three or more hours before going on board the ship. Usually after the first night I get my sea legs and alright the rest of the way. :D

We sailed to Saint John in August from NY and the waters seemed to be pretty calm. On the return trip however we did hit a bit of rough water... Nothing that was too horrible or seasickness meds couldn't cure. I remember walking down the long hall to the room feeling a bit queasy. But overall nothing bad at all. When we docked in Saint John we were on the port side, however if they have a new peir then I am not sure which side. :)

Took Norwegian Spirit out of NYC last Sept 21st to Halifax, St John, Boston & Martha's Vineyard.....The waters were just fine until we left Boston and ran into tropical storm Kyle...seas pretty high 10-15 feet and ship rolled a bit. Never made it into Martha's Vineyard. But rest of the trip was very pleasant and relaxing. Go for it. You'll have a great time.

Just wondering how are the waters sailing out of New York going to Canada. or Saint Johns NB.. Are the waters usually rough in August and September. Has anyone ever sailed to Saint John and had smooth calm waters.. I know nothing etched in stone but just trying to get an idea of the norm is whenb sailing out of New York..

Also can someone recommend which side of the ship to book, port or starboard when docking in Saint John NB?? Hoping to book a cabin this weekend that will give a good view while docked in St Johns NB.... I believe the triumph dock at the new pier...

The Bay of Fundy is very unpredictable. It can be as smooth as a millstream and it can be extremely rough-----luck of the draw.

There is no new pier in Saint John, rather a brand new terminal building constructed at the dock. It will be officially opened in early June and the CEO of Princess Cruises is coming for the opening. It would be on the starboard side of the ship as it is docked. I was surprised to read that it is the first dedicated cruise terminal building to be constructed. Other places have retrofitted warehouses and such to make terminals for cruiseships.

Took Norwegian Spirit out of NYC last Sept 21st to Halifax, St John, Boston & Martha's Vineyard.....The waters were just fine until we left Boston and ran into tropical storm Kyle...seas pretty high 10-15 feet and ship rolled a bit. Never made it into Martha's Vineyard. But rest of the trip was very pleasant and relaxing. Go for it. You'll have a great time.

Am taking a 10 day cruise from NY to Canada leaving 9/30. Can you give me an idea of the temperature? What type of clothing did you take - winter or summer?

Am taking a 10 day cruise from NY to Canada leaving 9/30. Can you give me an idea of the temperature? What type of clothing did you take - winter or summer?

Days at sea will be cold. They are cold even in summer and you will need a sweater and jacket.

On shore at that time of year the mornings will be cool and crisp (mid 50's) but as the day progresses the temperature will rise to the mid 60"s).

If there is a hurricane down south the air will be balmy and warmer --in the 60's.

On occasion (rarely) there have been a few snow flurries in early October but they don't last.

My best advice is to be prepared to layer. By the end of September the locals will be wearing fall and winter clothing but the winter coats will not make an appearance until into November.

For sea days you might want a toque as the cold wind will be hard on the ears.

The end of September can also bring some lovely days in the low 70's when people rush back into their shorts for a few hours.

It is a transitional period and the weather is just that----transitional. It can be all over the place in the space of a few days.

We cruised to St. John from New York late last August on the Caribbean Princess. Previously, we cruised there on the Regal Princess in October 2004. Either side of the ship was the same to us, since the ship was far from the coast all the way up. The seas weren't rough at any time on the late August cruise. We docked both times at Pugsley Pier in St. John.

There were several ships in port last August, and the city was packed with people and traffic. We were glad to get out of town for an all-day tour to Fundy National Park.:)

DavidnSteph

• 3 weeks later...

Last year we went to Halifax and the trip going there was great..but coming back was awful !ship rock like hell everyone was screaming and people were leaving the restaurant without eating ...everything at the tables started falling on the floor. people did not make it to the show, all u can see was people throwing up everywhere the elevators stinks and we had to go to the cabins and just try to sleep.... nothing to do except pray :)

The night from hell i will call it...next day was calm i swear not to go back on a cruise ...of course it didn't last long.:Di am going back to the Atlantic ocean :eek:

Last year we went to Halifax and the trip going there was great..but coming back was awful !ship rock like hell everyone was screaming and people were leaving the restaurant without eating ...everything at the tables started falling on the floor. people did not make it to the show, all u can see was people throwing up everywhere the elevators stinks and we had to go to the cabins and just try to sleep.... nothing to do except pray :)

The night from hell i will call it...next day was calm i swear not to go back on a cruise ...of course it didn't last long.:Di am going back to the Atlantic ocean :eek:

What time of year was that? Was it the result of a hurricane?

DT

:)

We have two piers, Pugsley and Long wharf, it would be rare that a ship would dock at these piers on their port sides. Pugsley has an automatic gangway connected to a pedestian walkway which leads to the new terminal via escalator and elevators. Long wharf has manual gangways that leads to two large tents that holds venders and excursion embarkations. :)

Archived