Upsell...Maybe not so good

mnh

I received an upsell on my 3-15-09 sailing on The Pearl from a mini-suite to an Aft AE for $250 per person. At first I was excited but in a matter of 5 minutes I was not so excited. I found out that I had a handicap unit (9672) and so from what I have read, no tub, no dressing area, a smaller table for eating, and a ramp that covers a large portion of the balcony.

A learning expierence for me, I should have checked the cabins better however I think that NCL should also make you aware that the cabin is altered.

And in a matter of minutes my minisuite was gone!

Does anyone have pictures of this cabin?

I booked thru a large online travel agent and cannot call and have been working thru emails. I like this agent and have booked numerous cruises thru them with no problems and I really am not blaming them for this mess.

Live and learn and it will not spoil my cruise but next time I will be more diligent in making changes!

I'm sorry I don't have personal experience or photos of that cabin, but most people on these boards find the HC cabins to be a benefit and love the extra space they provide. I have also read that the "ramp" on the balcony can be removed for passengers who don't need it.

I hope you enjoy your upgrade.

Think of all the great perks you upgraded to. Butler and concierge service, priority embarkation and disembarkation, breakfast and lunch in Cagneys, and snacks delivered to your room. While the room may not be ideal for you maybe the added benefits outweigh the negatives.

I'm sorry I don't have personal experience or photos of that cabin, but most people on these boards find the HC cabins to be a benefit and love the extra space they provide. I have also read that the "ramp" on the balcony can be removed for passengers who don't need it.

I hope you enjoy your upgrade.

In this particular case the HC suite does not provide ANY extra space. as stated is it missing several things and the balcony itself has an additional railing sticking up above the regular railing.

Sorry I don't have a good shot of that. There are on the Jade but they would be essentially the same.

9172HCsterncabindiiningarea.jpg

9172HCSterncabinbarareaAEsuiteJade.jpg

9172HCsterncabinJade.jpg

Given the number of complaints about NCL booking the HC cabins way too early, I'm surprised someone hasn't mentioned how nice it is to hear that an HC cabin is still available that close to the cruise date.

Two thoughts here: most likely booked by HC and they had to cancel.

Other thought is I wonder if they upsell fairy when they have a higher level HC cabin available near sail time, bothers to call any of the HC passengers they have booked and offer them an upsell to said cabin first?

My gut feeling is no they don't.

Normally if you are in a HC cabin you cannot take advantage of any upgrades offers or such things, because there are no options.

the balcony itself has an additional railing sticking up above the regular railing.

My recollection from looking at the neighboring balcony to our AE on the Pearl is that the extra railing is there because the balcony floor/deck is raised up to be the same height as the door jam. There is an additional false floor on the actual balcony deck to bring the balcony up a few inches, presumably so you don't have to step/roll up/down to get over the sliding door track/threshold. The additional rail is about the same height above the original rail as the false floor adds to the actual deck. I presumed it was because they have a minimum rail height standard they must maintain.

I just got back from an AE suite. I think the extra perks that you'll get are definitely worth the price that you paid. HC or not the room is still an upgrade from a mini-suite. Plus the Cagney's breakfasts/lunches, butler service, snacks, Concierge, VIP embarkation and debarkation, VIP tender tickets, upgraded room service menu, DVD player.... it's all worth it. Have a WONDERFUL cruise!

My recollection from looking at the neighboring balcony to our AE on the Pearl is that the extra railing is there because the balcony floor/deck is raised up to be the same height as the door jam. There is an additional false floor on the actual balcony deck to bring the balcony up a few inches, presumably so you don't have to step/roll up/down to get over the sliding door track/threshold. The additional rail is about the same height above the original rail as the false floor adds to the actual deck. I presumed it was because they have a minimum rail height standard they must maintain.[/quote

I am sure that is the case but it doesn't matter if you are sitting in the wheelchair there is a good chance that one or the other of those rails will come right at your eye level. I am always having to sit up extra tall or scrunch to see over them.

I received an upsell on my 3-15-09 sailing on The Pearl from a mini-suite to an Aft AE for $250 per person. At first I was excited but in a matter of 5 minutes I was not so excited. I found out that I had a handicap unit (9672) and so from what I have read, no tub, no dressing area, a smaller table for eating, and a ramp that covers a large portion of the balcony.

I just checked NCL's website for your cruise. It is showing 9672 as available. Were you able to switch cabins???

I was able to get my original mini-suite back. I had a suite on The Spirit and I know I will miss the suite perks. However I just could not get around the cabin adjustments.

Bottom line is I am packed and ready to go!

I was able to get my original mini-suite back. I had a suite on The Spirit and I know I will miss the suite perks. However I just could not get around the cabin adjustments.

Bottom line is I am packed and ready to go!

I don't blame you -- I probably would have done the same thing. Enjoy your cruise!:D

Sorry that I didn't read your post until now as I would have told you that cabin 9672 looked wonderful and much larger than the one we had next door. We had 9670 on the Pearl in Dec and when we were leaving, the room stewards were cleaning 9672 and we looked inside. It was much larger than 9670 AE that we were in and the steward told us since it was the HC, it was much larger.

• 2 weeks later...

We were just called this afternoon and were upgraded to AE Penthouse Suite from a balcony. :D

We sail on Sunday on the Pearl.

After the call I looked up the room and saw it is a HC room on the 9th deck.

I have searched this board and I found a little information on the room but no seems to agree on what the HC room has vs a non HC AE suite.

Does anyone no for sure if the room will have a sofa and dinning table?

You will have a love seat, and dining table for two. A MUCH larger bathroom with roll in shower a ramp to the balcony and balcony will have an extra higher rail on it. Also no dressing room, the larger bath occupies that space.

Does it matter if you booked through a TA (I did)... Does NCL just offer the upgrades and upsells (not sure of the difference) to NCL direct bookers? Should I be waiting for my phone to ring (just kidding). I'm trying to figure out the advantages/disadvantages to booking through TA vs. through NCL directly.

thx

• 3 weeks later...

Long story short - we were recently upgraded to 9672 on the GEM for the 4-18-2009 sailing. My friend who is travelling with me has MS. We are thrilled to have the extra space for her walker, as well as the priority with embarkation, disembarkation and tenders. To the extent any of the perks reduce the need for her to stand in long lines, we are happy. Not having any threshholds to step over for the shower and the balcony will be a big help for my friend too. We may ask to have a larger table placed in the cabin. Thanks for all the info here. These cabins are a blessing for people with disabilities.

Archived