Canadian $ vs USD

While you could get by with using only $US during your stay as almost all businesses will accept them you aren't likely to get close to the current exchange rate which is close to 30% and your change will be in CDN $$.

If you are flying into Vancouver there are currency exchange outlets at the airport - if you are busing or training into Vancouver there is a currency exchange in the the station - charges a flat $3.00 per transaction fee.

Your hotel maybe willing to exchange your money as well.

Enjoy your visit

Cheers

Dennis

Doesn't a bank near where you live have Cnd dollars you can exchange? The rates are great from a US perspective now (awful from a Cnd perspective).

There are taxis that takes credit card. For the purpose of tip, US dollar bills work just as fine (in fact people will be glad, with the exchange rate).

So just exchange the little you need, either at your bank, or at the airport exchange booths.

If you put a purchase on a credit card, due you get the purchase at Canada's rate?

Your credit card will be charged in CAD, and your credit card will convert it to USD at their rate on the day of the charge. Which means you could very well have different conversion rates for purchases made on different days.

Have to agree!! Using the ATM and your Credit Card are the easiest and you aren't going to get stuck with a pocket full of CDN$ change when you heads home. Remember are $1 and $2 are coins, not paper....just try to convince your bank at home to convert the coins back to USD!!! (All they are good for in the US is keep-sakes or 'show and tell' for the kids at school!)

Have to agree!! Using the ATM and your Credit Card are the easiest and you aren't going to get stuck with a pocket full of CDN$ change when you heads home. Remember are $1 and $2 are coins, not paper....just try to convince your bank at home to convert the coins back to USD!!! (All they are good for in the US is keep-sakes or 'show and tell' for the kids at school!)

Most airports now have bins where you can drop your currency and it goes to charity. At least then it will do more good that sitting in a drawer at home... says the woman with defunct currency from all over Europe.

Viv

Most airports now have bins where you can drop your currency and it goes to charity. At least then it will do more good that sitting in a drawer at home... says the woman with defunct currency from all over Europe.

Viv

Viv...they are supposed to leave their unspent CDN currency in an envelope with my name on at the front desk of their hotel, I in turn look after it until they return...no problem.:D

Perhaps we should put the money towards fixing the elevator on the Island Sky - Hahn and the Directors would really appreciate such a commitment from all those who support a local ship building industry.

Canucks are the talk of the town although the soccer people did get some press today with the announcement of the Whitecaps joining the MLS in 2011 in the 300$M upgraded BC Place stadium.

Cheers

Dennis

Loved the game last night and the Whitecaps announcement today, albeit I have only seen one football Ooop's soccer game from start to finish and that was only last spring.:o As for the CDN currency I can put it to much better use for such things the we indigent folks need, you know things such as scotch,vodka, gin and golf balls...not necessarily in that order.:D:D

Viv...they are supposed to leave their unspent CDN currency in an envelope with my name on at the front desk of their hotel, I in turn look after it until they return...no problem.:D

Perhaps we could get government funding for such a program?

Viv

Or perhaps think of it as our own personal economic stimulus plan.

Pouring rain here today so no golf or bike riding today - lot's of time for surfin the web and reading books,

Cheers

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, a great new question...I am stumped on that one unelss someone else can answer, I would be inclined to ask the Visa company who issued the card. I suspect...and that is all it is, that I would just hold it for stateside purchases.:)

Gosh PD - I saw this question and didn't have an answer so I left it for you to answer - I tend to think the same answer as you.

That was a nasty one point in the standings that the Canucks blew tonight - looks more and more like next Tuesday game against Calgary could decide the division.

Cheers

Dennis

We will be coming into Vancouver late so no sightseeing. We will need 2 meals and 2 taxi rides. We are staying at the Best Western Downtown and plan on eating both meals - dinner - breakfast at the White Spot at the hotel (thanks Urban trekker for your advice). We will charge those meals. My concern is the taxi from the airport and then to the pier. Do all taxi's take credit cards? Will they give you the rate in US$ or just Canadian if you are paying cash? If we paid in US$ and no tip would it even out? Am a bit confused as to what to do.

Most taxis now take credit cards. The USD is worth about CAD$1.24. The drivers meter works in CAD. In other words divide the CAD amount by the exchange rate to figure out how many USD. Basically $4 USD is almost $5 CAD

If you are paying him in cash he will likely give you a rounded up exchange rate. For example, if the meter says CAD$20, which should be USD$16.12 he will simply tell you that it's USD$17 or USD$18 assuming that you will give him the rest as a tip if you give him a USD$20.

If you use your credit card the charge will appear in CAD and your credit card company will charge their cheque exchange rate plus their normal percentage.

I went to my bank (Wachovia) today to get some Canadian money and they did not have any. She said they would have to order it and there would be a charge of $15.

We will be arriving by cruise ship in May and staying overnight. Does anyone know if I could get the money onboard?

I went to my bank (Wachovia) today to get some Canadian money and they did not have any. She said they would have to order it and there would be a charge of $15.

We will be arriving by cruise ship in May and staying overnight. Does anyone know if I could get the money onboard?

They may, they sometimes have a small float, but I can't imagine that the rate would be very good. But it's easy enough to get from an ATM. For just a day you might want to just have a small amount and use US dollars. You can also use credit cards. Or just accept the rate they give you elsewhere. It's not a great rate, but if you are just in Canada for a day it will limit how much you have to take home. Remember anything under $5 is coin in Canada.

Archived