Drive to Lamani Ruins

scteacher31

Its a good thirty minute or more drive to the boats, and another hour plus by boat. There is no road that goes directly to the Lamani ruins. Once there, there is still a good half mile walk under the monkeys over a dirt/gravel path.

The trouble with all of the ruins is that the paths are dirt/gravel. You are NOT walking on a flat concrete or asphalt sidewalk, like amusement parks in America.

plus you are stepping over tree roots, walking up stone steps (just to get to one of the ruins). it's not a hard walk, but it can get muddy as well.

photos in the webshot link in my signature. our bus trip was more of 45 mins to an hour, we stopped for some belize history. (didn't get off the bus). it's a long, all day tour...and it was excellent.

2092019778_Jewellwithourtour.jpg.4719288f79625207e30f1aa4d00d50a6.jpg

717122497_UptotheMaskTemple.jpg.2de3fde17b5b24061479eb03f99e5e1d.jpg

We did this last October.

You are NOT walking on a flat concrete or asphalt sidewalk

...you are stepping over tree roots, walking up stone steps (just to get to one of the ruins). it's not a hard walk, but it can get muddy as well.

Both of these statements are very true. It had been raining the day before we went. While the ride was OK, walking through the ruins area was an adventure for some (most?). One person fell on the rocks trying to walk up the ruins, as the rocks were moss covered, and wet. Another fell in the mud. We all came out with very muddy shoes. We enjoyed the trip, but for someone who "has knee trouble" I was say 'no.'

Rich

Rich,

Gotta agree with you on that one, it sure was muddy and slick!

And I can personally account for one of the falls!:D One wrong step and.......

One wrong step and ...

John? John! John, are you OK? John?

Yea, be careful of those steps.

Rich

I am tempted to cancel this, really! Please fill me in on the details. I have a gimped leg on top of breathing problems...

Our cruise did not stop in Costa Maya. For Lamani, there was a good bit of walking, nothing was very steep. A few sections of the trail were approaching it. The main issues were 1) wet - it was very muddy, a slick & slide type of mud, and 2) over uneven terrain, with no handrails. It is a rain forest type of place after all. Its been five months now, but I remember benches only in one place to rest. Everyplace else you are standing. Oh, if you are on a trail and start to slip, don't grab for a tree. It might just be the type of tree with triangle branches with sharp edges.

NCL calls this trip a Level 2: Take them at their word:

Level 2

Tours with this symbol involve a considerable amount of physical activity such as substantial walking over uneven or cobblestone streets, climbing stairs or steep terrain. They are not recommended for guests with walking difficulties. Comfortable, sturdy shoes are recommended.

Rich

• 1 month later...

True there was a lot of walking, but if you choose not to actually climb on the ruins there are some benches and lots of grass to sit on and take in the sights.

At one point along the trail to the first big ruins they take you to, there is a "short cut" that bypasses it and goes right to the second stop, where there were benches for a couple in our group to sit and wait for us to catch up.

One of the best excursions we have ever enjoyed on a cruise stop, but definitely challenging if you have trouble walking and/or breathing.

Also....I know this kind of defeats the whole purpose of a "ruins" tour, but if you wanted to go with the rest of your party and skip the walking portion of the tour to the main ruins sites, the first place you stop is the picnic area where you have lunch. You could bring a book and spend the time there sitting in the sun and waiting for the others in your party to finish the tour. There is also a little museum there with some basic ruins maps and information to explore. After all, the bus and boat portions of the tour were great too!

:)

Even if it's not muddy, the walk through the forest is tricky ... as has been said, LOTS of tree roots & rocks sticking up through the trail. There are a few small slopes as well. One person in our group had to turn around before making it to the 1st structure so they didn't see any of the ruins. Our tour guide kept reminding us to not look up while we walked ... keep looking DOWN!

Our bus ride was about an hour each way, plus the boat ride.

Its a good thirty minute or more drive to the boats, and another hour plus by boat. There is no road that goes directly to the Lamani ruins. Once there, there is still a good half mile walk under the monkeys over a dirt/gravel path.

The trouble with all of the ruins is that the paths are dirt/gravel. You are NOT walking on a flat concrete or asphalt sidewalk, like amusement parks in America.

Yes, we just did this! It was beautiful. We had an elderly lady on our tour that held hands with her daughter the whole time. She made the tour very well, such a trooper. She had some obvious obstacles in her mobility, but she did great. I MUCH prefer this one to the Altun Ha excursion. Definately worth it. Watch for tree roots poking up and you'll be fine.

I went on this excursion two months after having knee surgery, while still using a cane. While I couldn't climb on up the ruins, I did enjoy the tour quite a lot. I still have trouble with my knees, but I would not hesitate to do it again if the opportunity arose.

DH & I also did this excursion and had a wonderful time even tho it had only been a little over 7 months since DH had DOUBLE knee replacement. He had no problems what soever, but of course did not climb the ruins with me. It is a great experience. Loved the boat ride, but the van ride took alot longer as the roads where terrible from the recent flooding that had been going on right before we arrived in Belize.

I think if a person has help and is careful it would be something enjoyable. The little museum they have at the site is very interesting and the lunch we had was awesome!!!

We loved the tour!!! :D However, it is a Level 2 excursion for a reason. Getting on and off the boats (both tenders and the speed boats on the New River) can be challenging, and the dock ramp at Lamanai is at an extermely steep angle and there is no railing to help pull yourself up with. The paths themselves are rocky and have roots and stumps crossing them, just as everyone has already pointed out. Even for us in our 30's - we were very cautious because if you would get hurt, medical attention is over an hour away. It is an all-day tour beginning at 8 am, a tender ride to the port city that is about ten minutes, 50 min bus ride to the boat launch, 75 min on the boat to Lamanai, and then the same coming back. We arrived back at Belize City at about 4:15 and we both dozed off on the bus coming back. It would be an expensive tour to just take the boat ride and sit in the picnic area, I think. On a side note, I am a physical therapist and would hesitate to advise my patients with knee stability or weakness problems or ankle or balance issues to do this one just because of the risk. It is beautiful but there are many other ruins to see in the region that might not have the same challenges. :)

Archived