Who's getting stiffed on pre-purchased drink cards?

Fat Boy

I wouldn't pay any attention to statements like those of the poster you quoted unless he/she is currently a bartender or waiter onboard a ship and is speaking from personal experience.

Dopes can say anything.....and usually do.:cool:

Well it looks like that dope is a Carnival employee........could be his friends work as waitstaff.........

The drinks coupons and soda cards say they include gratuity but carnival keep this and do not pay anything to the bar staff. It's the same with open bar functions, if a group has paid for 1-2 even 3 hour open bar, the bar staff get paid $5 for being there, regardless of how long the function is.

Thanks Eddy, I always wondered about the soda card gratuity. Is it the most hated thing on the ship? lol

BTW, I loved the Q&A thread you had 1+ years ago, wish I had printed it.

The drinks coupons and soda cards say they include gratuity but carnival keep this and do not pay anything to the bar staff.

Thanks, Eddy. I was afraid of that... I'm all for saving money where I can, but not at the expense of the people on board that deserve it most (the people who get paid the least and DO the most). If they don't get a tip with those pre-purchased cards, I won't use them again.

I wouldn't pay any attention to statements like those of the poster you quoted unless he/she is currently a bartender or waiter onboard a ship and is speaking from personal experience.

Dopes can say anything.....and usually do.:cool:

Actually I have worked for Carnival for the last few years and have many friends who are bartenders, and they've advised me of this.

But as i'm a dope i'll say anything... don't feed your towel animals after midnight... YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Thanks Eddy, I always wondered about the soda card gratuity. Is it the most hated thing on the ship?

Not the most hated thing but it is part of their job unfortunately, I saw one bartender nearly totally lose it as she had been working for about 5 hours on Lido handing out sodas & water and a guy came up and said "and now smile"... if looks could kill. I think she was having a bad day.

I know a lot of the bar staff find the captain's party hard work, not only do they have to serve the drinks for the 2 parties but they have to be at the bars 1 hour before to make all the drinks & prepare the bar, then they have to go to the dining rooms in between the 2 parties... it's a very long day for them.

The drinks coupons and soda cards say they include gratuity but carnival keep this and do not pay anything to the bar staff. It's the same with open bar functions, if a group has paid for 1-2 even 3 hour open bar, the bar staff get paid $5 for being there, regardless of how long the function is.

This is very good to know!!! I have a roll call doing an open bar event & I'll be letting everyone know how that works.

... do you happen to know how this works on non-revenue open bar cruises? I plan to bring cash along - but very curious!

We got drink coupons the 1st and 2nd cruise. We always tip the bartender anyways. Just because cash seems to make the drinks a litle bit stronger!! The only disadvantage we found was that just about every day they have drink specials that cost less than $5 somthing a drink. In that case you end up overpaying by $2. We always have coupons left over. We have used the leftovers and we have also givin them to friends going on a cruise. Just make sure they wait a day before using them. This time we are just going to start putting money on our sign and sail earlier, that way if we don't drink a lot we get money back.

Maybe this will be better than the coupons.

the funship drink card is a good deal. That is like one free drink.

Fun Ship Card Program (Drink of the Day Deal)

Effective 12/15/2008

Program details subject to change at any time. Program subject to cancellation at any time.

Fun Ship Cards, which allow the purchase of multiple Daily Specials/Tropical Cocktails at a discounted price, are available for purchase by guests on all cruises from all bar locations.

· The "Fun Ship Card" is a discount card which allows the guest an opportunity to enjoy a variety of daily tropical drink specials at a discounted price.

· The Fun Ship Card is sold for $23.00 + gratuities

· With the card, the guest will receive:

1 Daily Special Tropical Cocktail served in a Souvenir Hurricane Glass (first drink ordered with the card)

4 Daily Special Tropical Cocktails served in standard glass

· Daily Special Tropical Cocktails included in the card are:

Does the daily drink special card for $23 include a drink of the day every day, plus the four refils?

:confused:I am thinking once you are done with the number of drinks on the card you are done. But for 23. it is still a good bargain, you get one drink free.

1 Daily Special Tropical Cocktail served in a Souvenir Hurricane Glass (first drink ordered with the card)

4 Daily Special Tropical Cocktails served in standard glass

Archived