Union Discounts

PreciousPetal

That is correct about the AFL-CIO affiliation. The teachers union I belong to--NJEA-- is NOT an affiliate of the AFL-CIO. The NEA and the AFT(the major teachers unions) are not affiliated with the AFL-CIO, as far as I can determine. Apparently the local chapters can affiliate with AFL-CIO, but most do not. I didn't want to chance booking the union rate (although I would have saved 20% off my total price) and then finding out I owed NCL money.

They should really have the Union Plus logo link to that website on the NCL page. It would clear things up quite a bit.

I just thought that Union Plus was NCL's name for the program, so it never would have occured to me that it was an AFL-CIO thing. The NCL website really ought to state this.

NTEU is not AFL-CIO or part of Union Plus. Oh well.

What unions are these for? All unions? Certain unions? I'm just curious.

It is not that easy, the union needs to AFL-CIO affilliated and the discount is only good off retail pricing... I gave up trying to get any answers from NCL. If your Cruise price is reduced as the sailing date nears, the union plus deal will not apply

I have received a union discount after I have booked a cruise. I just had to fax my union ID card to NCL and within a few days they had taken off $400.

Also, I noticed today that my cruise fare went down $200, and they took that off also and it did not interfere with my union discount. The only problem is that I lost my $75 OBC.

I haven't seen any California teachers posting on this thread, but in case one reads this; NCL accepted my CTA (California Teachers' Association) affiliation but not my local NEA.

The CTA discount was really nice for my Alaska cruise. I wish that I had known about it for my previous cruises.

We, too, received the union discount, 15%. We were told that the union had to be AFL-CIO affiliated. Our TA just notified NCL. Our bill was adjusted and we were told to bring our union card. As said before, it applies to everyone in the cabin.

we were quoted moreso 20% for end of june sailing last week, slightly more $ than military

We didnt even get 5%.....maybe because we booked so close.

i was told by NCL it varies as to the cruise, etc.; minimum of 5% up to 30%. for end of June sailing it was slightly more than military rate would be...note we wound up booking a special rate thru TA that gave us a minisuite for same price as military balcony we booked a day earlier...

my point, check it elsewhere jik somebody can beat it

Ah, thanks. Doesn't help. Oh well.

But wait...where did you read it had to be AFL-CIO? Because this link doesn't say that at all: http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=UnionPlus

It says nothing about AFL-CIO. Just "union members".

NCLs program is affiliated with unionplus, I was told u can provide their ID card also @ checkin...don't ask me the requirements the join their group;)

NCL told me if using an ID, specifically it had to be AFLCIO (even though DH is USWA-there is the AFLCIO logo on his ID,so we'd be good)...further told prepare to show it @ checkin

I read on another thread that anyone can join workingamerica.org and receive the union discount. There is no cost but you can make a donation. I joined and emailed my TA for our Jade cruise to see if we could get a discount and saved almost $200. I didn't email for our Pearl trip since we were already past final payment. For the Jade cruise, the TA asked for our member number, since we didn't have one yet I copied the confirmation email that I received and that was all they needed.

Like others I belong to a couple of teachers unions not affiliated with the AFL/CIO that didn't qualify on their own so this seemed like a great way to still receive the discount.

I just booked the Dawn for May 31, 2009 - inside guar. - for $721.50/pp including port charges, taxes and fees (advertised price is $699 plus taxes/fees of $153 totaling $852pp)

- a savings of $50 - $130/pp compared to other sites including NCL( who quoted with a union - past pas. discount $781/pp.) -

The union discount was pretty good. - I searched the internet for a few sites that mentioned the union discount - What I read is that the discount is only for the cabin of the union member.

I just booked the Dawn for May 31, 2009 - inside guar. - for $721.50/pp including port charges, taxes and fees (advertised price is $699 plus taxes/fees of $153 totaling $852pp)

- a savings of $50 - $130/pp compared to other sites including NCL( who quoted with a union - past pas. discount $781/pp.) -

The union discount was pretty good. - I searched the internet for a few sites that mentioned the union discount - What I read is that the discount is only for the cabin of the union member.

Come join our roll call and meet other passengers going on the same cruise.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=808661

Archived