Novices Planning First Snorkeling Adventure

Oca

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are going to be cruising around the Great Barrier Reef (next week!) and plan to take a snorkeling excursion offered through the ship. We are wondering: what do we wear when we are debarking the ship? Do we wear our bathing suit and wear our shorts and shirts on over them? Does the ship (HAL) give us towels for the trip or do we have to bring our own from home or can we take them from our cabin? What do we wear on our feet? Sneakers when leaving the ship or should we just wear flip-flops or something similar? We have bought our own snorkel and mask and will bring sun screen. Do we carry a back pack to keep all our paraphernalia in? As you can tell, we are totally ignorant in regard to this whole 'adventure'. :eek:

We would really appreciate any and all help you can give us.

You obviously do not know enough about this topic. So please mail your tickets to me ASAP so I can handle everything for you!;)

Relax, it will be GREAT!

I like to bring a small backpack with bottled water, sun screen, 2 T-shirts each (if the sun is bright I snorkel in one and then change into the dry one for the trip home), towel from the ship, half a dozen large and small zip lock freezer bags, $20 and I like reef shoes or tevas instead of flip flops as they give more support getting on and off boats and finally pick up an underwater disposable camera at Walmart.

The camera takes terrible picture of the fish but great shots of you and your spouse having the time of your lifes!

You usually can just wear your bathing suit and bring a tee-shirt or whatever to wear at the end.

One thing I like to bring is a plastic waterproof case. They usually sell them on the ships, and they have a rope and are large enough for a wallet, some cards, a bit of cash, some keys. It's nice to not leave your valuables on the boat or island or whatever. You just put the container around your neck. You will absolutely love snorkeling, it's beautiful. The Great Barrier Reef! I'm jeaolous.

Thank you, Islandbear and frayedend, for the information which was very helpful to us Snorkeling 101 students. And, Islandbear, if only you had included your postal address the tickets would be in your hands by now but . . . since we are leaving in just a matter of hours, I'm afraid it is now too late. Next time, perhaps! ;)

Archived