How Do You Insure 'FREE' Trips

kooljamming

How do you go about insuring your trip when apart of your airline ticket or resort/hotel was purchased with credit card points. My airline tickets and accommodations are domestic and international. My out of pocket cost will be far less due to using points. I usually purchase insurance but never used points before.

Thanks

I use FF miles just about every time I cruise, and unfortunately, most travel insurance policies exclude the cost of any fees to re-deposit your miles if you have to cancel. They also do not assign a dollar value other than what you actually paid in taxes and fees to tickets obtained with FF miles.

With credit card points it would depend on how you actually paid the airline. For example, one time I use Diners Club points to purchase a ticket on Continental to Copenhagen. Diners club did not pay Continental directly...they issued a certificate worth $800 on Continental, which i then used to pay the fare. When I looked at my Continental receipt it appeared as though I had simply paid them the $800. In that case, it would be no different than if you had actually paid the money, since in case of a claim you could provide the insurance company with a paid receipt for the full amount of the fare.

Best to check with your credit card company and take a look at your receipt from the airline.

There ARE policies out there that will cover any fees to redeposit points/miles to your account if they were used to secure air travel and or hotel rooms. Just read the policies VERY carfully.

The website "insuremytrip.com" allows you to compare prices and coverages of MANY policies from many companies at the same time. You can also call them and ask the reps which companies have the redeposit fees included in them which will save you lots of time - they do know their stuff...

There ARE policies out there that will cover any fees to redeposit points/miles to your account if they were used to secure air travel and or hotel rooms. Just read the policies VERY carfully.

I'm sure that's true, just like there are a few policies that will include the pre-existing condition waiver if you purchase the policy within 24 hours of final payment rather than within a certain number of days of the initial deposit the way most do. Just make sure you compare all of the other coverages to make sure that you are not giving up something else to get the re-deposit coverage. Insuremytrip.com is an excellent suggestion!

Do check how your airline is being paid, however, given that you are using credit card points and not FF miles. You may find, as I did, that in your case it doesn't matter :)

I fly a little on Delta on award tickets and sometimes use hotel frequent stay awards on the same trip. Delta recommends travel insurance and provides a link to Access America, which has a product called Award Trip Protection. I would think that if Access America has such a policy, the other companies would too.

I couldn't find the Access America award trip protection policy on insuremytrip, but with a little research on some of the other companies you might find comparable policies.

Archived