GO FLY A KITE !! Just wondering if you could fly a kite from the ship ?

planooldfamily

In exchange . . . I wanted to point out your grammatical error . . . it is called a "double negative" (something I learned in 10th grade (at least)).

You posted: Fortunately NO people are not allowed to do such idiotic things on board . . . the construction of that statement is illogical . . . almost sounds like anybody can do whatever they want . . . if course, commonsense would dictate differently . . . .

Actually, if you want to be picky about it, it wasn't a double negative, just poor punctuation. It should have read: Fortunately, no, people are not allowed...

But we don't criticize people for their spelling, grammar, etc. on these boards... :rolleyes:

Well actually I would love to fly a kite off a cruise ship. In fact I love it when the grandchildren come to visit so that we can fly kites but as a man in is mid 60's I feel rather silly flying one unless the gc's are around..I know I shouldn't but I do...

If the person asking is a 1st time cruiser, I don't think the question was all that bad. My only question is "Why?" would one want to fly a kite with so many other things to do? :confused:

Because it's fun!! Warm day, out on the open ocean, relaxing on your balcony, cool drink,

no worries, you're on holidays. Why not??

Pearl

"Why not?" No reason, unless the cruise line forbids it. I wouldn't do it even if allowed because, if the kite string broke and the kite went into the ocean, the string and parts could be a hazard to marine life. The other issue would be that kites sometimes do what they want. I can imagine one veering over and "bonking" someone in the eye or doing other physical damage. That's just not worth the risk, IMO.

beachchick

If the person asking is a 1st time cruiser, I don't think the question was all that bad. My only question is "Why?" would one want to fly a kite with so many other things to do? :confused:

A hobby is a hobby & sometimes cannot be explained to non-believers, much like religion.

Steve

"Why not?" No reason, unless the cruise line forbids it. I wouldn't do it even if allowed because, if the kite string broke and the kite went into the ocean, the string and parts could be a hazard to marine life. The other issue would be that kites sometimes do what they want. I can imagine one veering over and "bonking" someone in the eye or doing other physical damage. That's just not worth the risk, IMO.

beachchick

The cruise line forbidding it is the best reason "why not." I agree.

However, if your concern is for marine and human life, be more worried about the tons and tons of pollution in the form of sewage and fuel, left in ports and the open ocean, by any cruise ship out there, IMO.

Pearl

My husband and I flew a kite off the aft of the NCL Spirit about 4 years ago coming back from Alaska. It was one of our fondest memories of the cruise. We felt like giddy children and it was a wonderful feeling. We had a small heavy duty kite with heavy duty line. We actually brought two kites but let out just one. That kite had quite a ride! It took us quite a while to reel her in and you really have to hang on to the kite or it is gone in an instant. We plan to take the kite with us again when we sail to Alaska on the Star in May although it might be much colder in May.

Archived