Stingray Sailing

saintsnh

We are thinking of using Stingray Sailing for our excursion curious about others experiences

Thanks

Scott

We used Stingray Sailing in February and it was great. Captain Chip limits the number of people on the boat to 25 or less. On our trip there were only 11. It gives you space to layout in the sunshine and interact with Chip, Bert (his 1st mate) an the others on the trip.

• 5 weeks later...

Just wanted to follow up and let you know our day with Chip was great! He was easy to find at the port and, despite some bus "issues", we still got to the boat in plenty of time and had a great day. Michelle (Chip's wife) even made a green St. Patrick's Day cake for us!

We were on the sandbar for about 30 minutes, then took a quick trip to the snorkeling spot where we were for about another 30 minutes. We made it back to the bus in plenty of time and had a great day.

If you have specific questions, please ask!!!

We also just got back from our cruise and loved our time with Stingray Sailing. Chip and Bert did a wonderful job showing us the sea life around Grand Cayman (and, oh, that beautiful green water!!). Our trip was full - in fact they had had to turn some folks away - but even so, the boat was uncrowded. We went first to Stingray City and got into the water to see and feed the stingrays. It was absolutely the high point of my 7 day cruise. After we used up our squid and the rays went off to find another boat, we went a short distance to snorkel. There were brightly colored fish and very pretty corals and sea fans. The current wasn't bad, but it was enough that I could float on the surface and let the current carry me along to see everything and then swim back to the boat and do it again in a different spot - very relaxing. Bert offered to use my underwater camera to take a picture of us snorkeling together - he swam down to the bottom and snapped the photo of us snorkeling along on the surface. On the way back to the dock, Chip would occasionally jump off the back of the boat to retrieve an interesting item for us to see: starfish, sea potatoes and a broadleaf conch.

On the day we went, there were unusual northwesterly winds expected, so the ship cancelled a number of shore excursions and moved up our departure time by several hours. I was afraid our tour would be cancelled, but Chip assured me that while he had cancelled his afternoon tours, we would be fine in the morning. The ride was very smooth except for the few times we passed over another boat's wake and we were back on board the cruise ship in time for lunch. It was a great day and I am actually planning another Caribbean cruise so that we will be able to do another trip with Stingray Sailing - it was that cool.

To all who sailed with Carnival. Valor cruisers especially: Did the ship get in port early enough to meet the morning tour at 8:15am??

We're considering booking this & are afraid that we will not get into port early enough.

Thanks,

To all who sailed with Carnival. Valor cruisers especially: Did the ship get in port early enough to meet the morning tour at 8:15am??

We're considering booking this & are afraid that we will not get into port early enough.

Thanks,

We were on the Liberty in Feb. and the ship arrived at 7:30 am. Because Carnival services paxs that have purchased the ship sold tours , you should plan on arriving at the lounge early so you can get on a tender early, but you should not have any problem making the tour. Captain Chip is aware of this and doesn't leave exactly at 8:15 He will try and wait as long as possible for those who have booked with him. We got to the lounge about 45-50 minutes before we were to meet Chip and were about 10 minutes late and he said he understands the logistical porblem of getting people to the dock and builds it into his schedule.

Saintsnh: Are you on the RCCL Freedom of the Seas? My wife and kids (3 daughters) are as well and leaving on Sunday for our cruise. If you are on the same cruise, we'll see you on this excursion; we reserved AM trip last week; if not, hope you enjoy it. (we're also from NH), John :cool:

We were on the Liberty in Feb. and the ship arrived at 7:30 am. Because Carnival services paxs that have purchased the ship sold tours , you should plan on arriving at the lounge early so you can get on a tender early, but you should not have any problem making the tour. Captain Chip is aware of this and doesn't leave exactly at 8:15 He will try and wait as long as possible for those who have booked with him. We got to the lounge about 45-50 minutes before we were to meet Chip and were about 10 minutes late and he said he understands the logistical porblem of getting people to the dock and builds it into his schedule.

We have booked Stingray Sailing for early July. We will be on Freedom of the Seas. The arriving should be 8:00 AM with tende boats.

We have pick-up between 8:15 and 8:30. The tour operator explained: "Freedom of the Seas has been arriving here in Grand Cayman between 6:50 and 7:00 am local (Cayman) time for the last month (since daylight savings March 08, 2009). We have been accommodating customers off the Freedom of the Seas and have not had anyone miss the meeting time."

Can I be confident with the arrangement? Will we have enough time? Will we find the tour operator easily? I am first time cruiser. I am not living in US or Canada and we know quite little about cruising. Is it too risky to take private tour in the first cruise?

We have booked Stingray Sailing for early July. We will be on Freedom of the Seas. The arriving should be 8:00 AM with tende boats.

We have pick-up between 8:15 and 8:30. The tour operator explained: "Freedom of the Seas has been arriving here in Grand Cayman between 6:50 and 7:00 am local (Cayman) time for the last month (since daylight savings March 08, 2009). We have been accommodating customers off the Freedom of the Seas and have not had anyone miss the meeting time."

Can I be confident with the arrangement? Will we have enough time? Will we find the tour operator easily? I am first time cruiser. I am not living in US or Canada and we know quite little about cruising. Is it too risky to take private tour in the first cruise?

Remember, Grand Cayman is in the Eastern timezone, but they do not observe daylight savings time.

So when we sprung ahead last month, their time stayed the same.

So for the duration of DLST, the ship's times will be 1 hour ahead of Cayman Time.

So you will have an hour and 15 min - an hour and a half to get yourself ashore.

I don't know how RCCL runs their tenders, so I can't help you with how long that will take.

I know on Carnival's Freedom in February, we started tendering at 8AM and I was ashore by 8:30AM on the first tender.

Good luck...

I think you'll be fine.

Bill

Archived