can you swim to creole rock??

searoses

According to what I read, you aren't allowed to go out on your own because it's a marine preserve. It sounds like you have to go with guides (or something similar). I'm not sure if that is true, but it might be. I also don't know what the water conditions are or how far the swim would be. It's off a point, as I recall, and possibly not accessible to swim by "direct" route from the closest point from shore.

beachchick

I'm not aware of any restrictions on visiting Creole Rock on your own just because it is part of the Reserve Naturelle. So is Tintamaare and most of Pinel, all of the bay at Le Galion, etc. It is quite a large area. The most popular portion of Orient Bay is excluded.

Creole is a good half-mile swim from the closest accessible beach, which is at the Grand Case Beach Club, and that swim would be across an active route for any boats coming from the north and headed into Grand Case and could be for any headed to Marigot, as well.

There is no beach to rest on at Creole, and as it is a preserve, you shouldn't stand on the bottom, as you would disturb sealife. How long can you tread water?

The watersports desk at GCBC rents kayaks and offers water shuttle service out to the rock if you might be interested in that.

gary

Thanks, gary. I was dredging my mind and remember reading a review some time back that mentioned people not being allowed to go out on their own. Could have been some "hype" by one of the boat operators to get more business, for all I know.

beachchick

Gary,

Do you need a day pass for GCBC? We will be there for a day with 2 kids in June. Can we use their pool and facilities? I am interested in the snorkeling trip out to Creole Rock.

What is the best and most economical way to get there?

Thanks!

We rented a car (about $30) on our cruise a couple years ago and drove out to Grand Case. I remember it being a bit difficult to find the entrance to the beach, but we finally did. You can see Creole rock from the beach (about half mile out--not swimmable) and there was a stand where you could rent snorkel equipment and hire a guide to take you out. I think the cost was about $30-40 per person, but it included our own private guide who took us out on his little boat. Our guide was great and pointed out many things we wouldn't have seen on our own. Plus, he was able to dive down pretty deep and pull up some cool starfish and sea slugs for us to see and touch. The water was a bit rough that day so we couldn't do a full tour of the rock, but we did see a lot and it was definitely worth the money. A couple of people in my group are overweight and still had no problems getting in and out of the boat. The guide also provided snacks and water.

After the snorkeling tour, we were able to hang out on the beach and use the facilities. I didn't ask about using the pools, so I can't help you with that. The beach was very nice, though.

The beach at GCBC is public and you can get to it through gate (just tell them that you are going to watersports desk) or you can walk past GCBC (from town) and fairly easily (but not "handicapped accessible" by any means) walk down to beach between GCBC and the relatively new villa next door. If you want chairs/umbrella, talk to beach guys.

Sebastian is one of guys who has been there at GCBC Wastersports and doing the snorkel tours out to Creole Rock for some time - think he is still there but not sure. Used to be $30 a piece but that could have changed. He does a good job and it is good value.

You could swim to Creole Rock if you are a swimmer but I would not do it and I especially do not think it a good idea for a tourist or visitor to try. There is a local guy who for years swims the bay and is out there and, again, some do it, but I do not think it safe and it is not worth it.

I did a snorkle trip to Creole rock in September from Simpson Bay- Peligan resort. The boat docked and we swam in the shallow. From swimming around the Creole towards the edge the current is very strong, and I would not recommend swimming from shore to the snorkle area due to current. With fins it was difficult to stay localized.

Archived