Questions from a cruising Newbie!

ggriffin

Hello everyone!

From reading the many posts that I've read, it sounds like most people that cruise are people that cruise over and over. Well, this is our very first cruise. I actually went when I was 5 years old, but that was almost 35 years ago and doesn't count, because I think our ship was made out of wood and called the mayflower. ;)

My wife, 2 kids and I are sailing out on the Inspiration for a 5 day cruise on April 6th from Tampa. I've tried to find answers to some questions, but I figured the easiest was to just post a few of them here and hope that some of you will answer. Just a little about us, married 17 years, 14 yr old daughter, and 10 yr old son. We just wanted a "different" vacation for the family.

1. When packing clothes, should we pack something like a suit/tie and really dressy stuff? I see photos of people dressed up, and then I see photos of people in shorts and flip flops.

2. Is the only time you can get food during lunch/dinner or do they have opportunities for food throughout the day. I like to graze...... :o

3. What kinds of show(s) will we have opportunities to see at night?

4. What extra "money" will we need on the ship? I've heard of a card for sodas, but what should we be aware of that we'll need to pay for. I also know about the 10/day per person for tipping, but do you tip people throughout the cruise as well?

5. Do they have any place on the cruise ship for someone to smoke a cigar? Please don't judge me. ;)

6. We are stopping in Grand Caymans and Cozumel. We may never ever come back to these places again. Knowing that, what is the absolute MUST DO at either/both? I heard the stingray city in grand caymans was one.

7. What things should we know about our room? I think we have an outside room with a window, but no balcany. Most of the posts I read are about a cat12 or something. I'm guessing we have a broom closet with pull down beds. What kind of things should we bring for the room?

8. I know this is sad, but does anyplace on board offer Internet access even if it's only at port? I'm an email junkie. Again, don't judge me. :p

9. If this were the only cruise we were ever going to take (possible), what things should we make sure we see, do, or take advantage of on this cruise?

If you stuck with my post this long, thanks for hanging in there. As you can tell, we've never cruised, and this is a whole new kind of vacation for us. We've saved and saved and just want to have a great family vacation. Any tips you can provide are going to be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

The Griffins from NC

Hey Griffins!

I'm going to answer some of your questions in between posts here!

My wife, 2 kids and I are sailing out on the Inspiration for a 5 day cruise on April 6th from Tampa. I've tried to find answers to some questions, but I figured the easiest was to just post a few of them here and hope that some of you will answer. Just a little about us, married 17 years, 14 yr old daughter, and 10 yr old son. We just wanted a "different" vacation for the family.

Cruising is one of the best vacations for families, something for all ages!

1. When packing clothes, should we pack something like a suit/tie and really dressy stuff? I see photos of people dressed up, and then I see photos of people in shorts and flip flops.

Here's the deal...

Here is the actual Carnival dress code guidelines to give you a start...

Casual attire is the order of the day. We suggest shorts, sundresses, tank tops, etc. for the ladies, and for men; shorts, polo shirts, T-shirts, etc. will do. We suggest you wear rubber-soled, low heeled or flat shoes for extra traction while onboard. The use of any footwear with wheels, including but not limited, to Heelys© shoes, is prohibited on board our ships. For dining you may want to dress up a bit and/or bring along a light sports jacket or cardigan.

Most evenings we have a Cruise Casual dress code, but there are those Cruise Elegant evenings one or two nights throughout your “Fun Ship” voyage, where you will have the opportunity to showcase your more elegant attire. For those who want casual attire for dinner time, the Seaview Bistro on the Lido Deck is open nightly, and has a more relaxed theme. Both dress codes for the dining rooms are described below.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs). Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, and sleeveless shirts for men.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too! Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

Now that you have that to read, here is something to think about...

For the Elegant Night, Carnival has some absolutely great photographers set up each night to take pictures of you and your family.

Better price per deal than what you could get at one of the photographers at your local mall portrait center.

So, as long as you follow the dress code posted above, you are good.

But, it can be the best souvenirs and experience to dress up as a family as much as you want!

Take advantage of that opportunity.

2. Is the only time you can get food during lunch/dinner or do they have opportunities for food throughout the day. I like to graze......

You have opportunities to graze as much as you want.

Room service. The Grill. Pizza. Ice cream. Sushi between 5 PM and 8 PM.

Basically Vegas type shows. Could be comedians. Also lots of great live music and bands in various areas.

5. Do they have any place on the cruise ship for someone to smoke a cigar? Please don't judge me.

Absolutely! On your ship, there is a cigar bar on the aft of the Promenade Deck!

8. I know this is sad, but does anyplace on board offer Internet access even if it's only at port? I'm an email junkie. Again, don't judge me.

There is an Internet Cafe onboard. You can also check for less expensive Internet places at your ports, on the Ports of Call Boards here.

If you stuck with my post this long, thanks for hanging in there. As you can tell, we've never cruised, and this is a whole new kind of vacation for us. We've saved and saved and just want to have a great family vacation. Any tips you can provide are going to be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

The Griffins from NC

No problem! I just wanted to get to some of your questions that I could answer quickly.

The other ones require a bit more typing and info, so I'll try to get back to those later...

In the meantime, I'm sure that there will be lots of others with their helpful hints here as well!

Welcome!

6. We are stopping in Grand Caymans and Cozumel. We may never ever come back to these places again. Knowing that, what is the absolute MUST DO at either/both? I heard the stingray city in grand caymans was one.

We did an excursion at Stingray City with a company called Nativeways. It was called the Rays, reef and Rum Point beach. It was the highlight for our group! Very cool!! An absolute must. It is less expensive if you book it yourself than booking it through the cruiseline. Go check out the Grand Cayman forum and there are reviews there for different excursion...

Have fun!!

Hello everyone!

From reading the many posts that I've read, it sounds like most people that cruise are people that cruise over and over. Well, this is our very first cruise. I actually went when I was 5 years old, but that was almost 35 years ago and doesn't count, because I think our ship was made out of wood and called the mayflower. ;)

2. Is the only time you can get food during lunch/dinner or do they have opportunities for food throughout the day. I like to graze...... :o

4. What extra "money" will we need on the ship? I've heard of a card for sodas, but what should we be aware of that we'll need to pay for. I also know about the 10/day per person for tipping, but do you tip people throughout the cruise as well?

5. Do they have any place on the cruise ship for someone to smoke a cigar? Please don't judge me. ;)

7. What things should we know about our room? I think we have an outside room with a window, but no balcany. Most of the posts I read are about a cat12 or something. I'm guessing we have a broom closet with pull down beds. What kind of things should we bring for the room?

8. I know this is sad, but does anyplace on board offer Internet access even if it's only at port? I'm an email junkie. Again, don't judge me. :p

9. If this were the only cruise we were ever going to take (possible), what things should we make sure we see, do, or take advantage of on this cruise?

Thanks,

The Griffins from NC

We took our kids on thier first cruise in June, 10 and 6. They had the best time at Camp Carnival. They take really good care of them there...there is something for all the kids to do. Even the older ones. Definately try the pizza...its amazing. The Ice cream is awesome too. Look for information online or at your local book store, for information on your ports of call. Don't overpack...it happens, the more you cruise the less you pack. you use your sail and sign card for everything on board. Room service is free 24 hours a day, and i suggest tipping a $1 or $2.

On the Elation we had a queens size bed for us to sleep in, and then 2 twin beds pulled out above us for the kids to sleep on. The steward makes the twin beds up every morning so you arent hitting your head on them all day.

I have never been to grand cayman....so not much help there....I loved Cozumel and will be going back again. IN Cozumel we just hired a tour guide and he took us all around the island. We went to Coconuts bar and grill...i loved it there...its a restaruant sitting on a cliff that looks out over the ocean, and is just beautiful view. I are also looking at the ISLA Pasion boat tour. Its a high speed boat ride that takes you to an island for a beach day and some shopping...so theres a couple things to do that are relatively inexpensive for a family.

There will be photo ops all the time. There is no obligation to buy any of them, but is fun to see how they turn out.

The treatments at the spa cost money, and while in port usually the treatments are a lil cheaper then on a sea day...

Have fun and remember your on a cruise.....!!:)

Remember when we say things "cost money" on the ship, it WILL be charged to your S&S card. Very few venues will take actual cash onboard w/ the exception of gambling.

Also, as for internet access, whether you use the internet cafe or your own laptop, it is EXPENSIVE. Like 75 cents/min (though you can buy packages which bring it down to around 50¢/min) and it is slllloooowwwwww. Slower than dial up. Sometimes after 10 min you still haven't connected and you pay for that time while you try to connect. I'd suggest looking for an internet cafe in port unless it's urgent. I usually have withdrawal symptoms when i can't access my email, but I just find it too expensive and too frustrating dealing w/ any cruiseline's internet offerings.

I think most of your questions have been answered already by people who are "in the know".

Paradise Beach, Cozumel - free Internet- they only ask that you spend some money on forod or drink. Great people, great food and great drink. When you get off the pier, ask the taxi driver to take you there. (Note: decide on fare before you get into the cab.) I know there's a Paradise Beach thread on the Cozumel Ports of Call board with lots of info. We had a great time there. Three of our boys (early 20s) went parasailing.

Hello and Welcome to Cruise Critic!

When in Grand Cayman, Yes you have to do the swimming w/ the sting rays, we did this on our last cruise, and it was well worth it. Very unique opportunity !

I think you will be surprised by your room. They are very spacious for cruise cabins. I'd say it's larger than a broom closet! :)

Also i see you are from NC, I am too. What part are you from?

-David.

Hello everyone!

Have never been on a five-day so I don't know about "elegant" nights. Our general thought aout the other nights - if we're eating in the dining room we wear what we would wear to a nice restaurant back home.

Food/drink available practically 24/7 - only time maybe not is a very brief period of time on day of disembarkation

Vegas-type, magicians, hypnotists, ice-carving, ship games and activities, dance lessons

In addition to the suggested tips, we tip in cash whoever, whenever and whatever we feel is appropriate at the time - could be at the beginning, middle or end of cruise.

Info will be in the Capers (the daily newsletter) about areas where smoking is allowed.

Absolutely Stingray City. We've booked excursions when we've gotten off the tender. Lots of tour operators right there, wanting to show off their beautiful island.

Power strip has been very helpful for us.

See my previous post about Cozumel.

Whatever you feel like doing is the best thing to do. Some cruisers are involved in everything, some like to just sit on the deck, and there's a whole slew of in-betweens!

Thanks,

The Griffins from NC

Sounds like you're going in with a great attitude. Don't sweat the small stuff.

In the unlikely event you do have a problem with an employee, discuss it with them immediately. If it is something that cannot be resolved, speak to the head of their department. Treat the staff the way you want to be treated.

Be prepared to say Hey, How Ya Doin? to lots of people you don't even know and may never see again.

Hi, room service is great. They have wonderful sandwiches. It's free and available 24/7. Pizza and ice cream on the Lido deck are good also available 24/7. I would suggest Stingray City with a company outside Carnival. Their tours are very cramped. You can check ports of call board to get a lot of information on this. In Cozumel, you can rent a car from Ace Rent a Car. It is really cheap and Cozumel is easy to drive outside of town. And if this is not your cup of tea, then you and your family are sure to enjoy Chankanaab Park. It has great snorkeling and you can swim with the dolphins for a price. The park is really very nice with clean restrooms a restaurant and bar. It is close to where the ship docks and you can take a cab for $11 for the family one way. The park is $16 for adults. You can check out this site for free coupons. http://www.cozumelinsider.com/. I found my cruise in Feb. very casual. For formal nights (elegant nights) some women were really dressed to he nines and some were wearing dress slacks and blouses. Some men had on suits, some just a jacket and some with just white shirts. Hope this helps a little. I hope your cruise turns out to be the best vacation you have ever had.

Tho the prices are a little steep, they are great pics..and no sitting fee, get as many poses, and diff backgrounds as yu wish, as no extra charge for that. A family pic makes a great Xmas gift for Gma, etc. You can all dress alike,(ie:blue denim shirt, khaki pants, or all same colored Tees, and of course any formal type attire) kids can wear their best, or fave..use their best buddy animal. They are very innovative these days $20 for an 8x10, then a special price for a composit of sizes. People DO scan/copy at home. Just be very selective to keep the price in your "$aved ca$h" reserves, as it is hard to resist pics of the kids. They also sell scrapbooking stuff to embellish, and special frames. Good Luck, and Bon Voyage. Keep posting and asking questions, we;re here to answer them for you

Hello and Welcome to Cruise Critic!

When in Grand Cayman, Yes you have to do the swimming w/ the sting rays, we did this on our last cruise, and it was well worth it. Very unique opportunity !

I think you will be surprised by your room. They are very spacious for cruise cabins. I'd say it's larger than a broom closet! :)

Also i see you are from NC, I am too. What part are you from?

-David.

David, We live in Mooresville, a little north of Charlotte......

For everyone else, thanks so much for posting. You guys have offered a ton of help for us and we really appreciated. Our whole family is excited, and we can't wait to go. if you can think of anything else we might have missed asking about, don't hesitate to post it. Most likely we didn't even know to ask....... :)

The Griffins from NC

Hi, room service is great. They have wonderful sandwiches. It's free and available 24/7. Pizza and ice cream on the Lido deck are good also available 24/7. I would suggest Stingray City with a company outside Carnival. Their tours are very cramped. You can check ports of call board to get a lot of information on this. In Cozumel, you can rent a car from Ace Rent a Car. It is really cheap and Cozumel is easy to drive outside of town. And if this is not your cup of tea, then you and your family are sure to enjoy Chankanaab Park. It has great snorkeling and you can swim with the dolphins for a price. The park is really very nice with clean restrooms a restaurant and bar. It is close to where the ship docks and you can take a cab for $11 for the family one way. The park is $16 for adults. You can check out this site for free coupons. http://www.cozumelinsider.com/. I found my cruise in Feb. very casual. For formal nights (elegant nights) some women were really dressed to he nines and some were wearing dress slacks and blouses. Some men had on suits, some just a jacket and some with just white shirts. Hope this helps a little. I hope your cruise turns out to be the best vacation you have ever had.

A little off the subject. Everyone should go to cozumelinsider link above and read Sherri's story (at the bottom of the page) about the cab drivers overcharging in Cozumel. It's funny. Greg

Hello everyone!

Our first cruise 2 years ago was on the Inspiration. Very easy to get around. After we got on the ship we ate at the Buffett and then walked around the ship. We found the adults only serenty area...it was wonderful. It had lounge chairs and two hot tubs. And we just walked around the whole ship getting used to our new vacation "home".

The only time you will need to be really dressed up is for the formal night. Nice dress for her ..suit for him. That night lobster is on the menu ...YUM YUM. My husband and I wore tshirts and shorts most of the time for our vacation. Every night before the sit down dinner we went to our room and got changed into preppy clothes. Sun dresses or nice top and slacks for her and ...tan slackes and golf shirts for him.

2. Is the only time you can get food during lunch/dinner or do they have opportunities for food throughout the day. I like to graze......

There is 24 hour room service-free (delivery fee not included). Pizza station and the Deli station seemed to be always open. Lunch buffett had extended hours and in the same area you can eat dinner if you skip the sit down dinner. But it is worth it to go to the sit down dinner.

The shows were pretty good sing and dance shows. They also had a commedian---very funny. Casino was a little fun.

The money issue---Ok...here is the deal....You can not use cash on ship...except the slot machines will eat your cash. :) When you arrive at port and check in you are given a sign and sail card. This card looks like a hotel room key and it will open the door to your room BUT it is so much more on a cruise. At check in or when you do your fun pass online..Carnival askes for a credit card. Your sign and sail card becomes this credit card. Whenever you order a drink or play bingo(you can use cash to play bingo I think) or buy candy from the gift store or pay the $10/day per person auto tip or get a massage...or a thousand other ways...Carnival askes for your sign and sail card. The ship is a cashless world. Then Carnival creates a bill at the end of the cruise Carnival then charges that credit card for whatever you buy. Sign and sail bills vary depending on how much you drink and what else you buy..$300-$2000+ I would recomend keeping some cash on had to buy something in port and for tips for Carnival staff ( room service, shore excursion driver, room steward extra tip) Remember keep all valuables including purses and wallets in your room safe.

I can't remember where but I know you can smoke inside. I am a ciggerette smoker and there were inside and outside places

We did a stingray, turtle farm and Hell combo excursion through Carnival. LOVED IT. We considered booking through an outside vender but it is just safer to book through Carnival.

Power strip, alarm clock, personal watch. All cruise ship rooms are broom closets except for the suites. All I need is a bed a sink and a shower and that is all you get...but in your case you get a window too..:)

For an additional charge to your sign and sail card you can use the computer lounge. I am a junkie too...I always have to buy a plan so I can email and surf the net a few minutes a day or every other day. Print outs cost extra

Relax have fun. Each night the carnival capers will apear on your bed. read it. There is a tear off list of the next days activites on the right hand page. look it over and see if there is anything you might want to do... go to the honey mooners game, go to a trivia game, sit in the hot tub, go down the water slide at least once. Sit in the serenity area and read a book. Go to the midnight buffett if you can stay awake. Take a free dance class...WARNING all Carnival actities(trivia, dance classes) start 10 minutes before the time they should start.

Thanks,

The Griffins from NC

You all are going to have a great time relax and enjoy :)

Hello everyone!

You can graze 24/7

singles for tips...at least $50-75 for a 5 day. You will want to tip extra at the end usually an additional 40-50% of total autotips broken up to all service staff. Staff works their tails off and underpaid. maitre di is probably only one we don't tip extra unless requesting something outside the norm

Moby Dick tours is 2nd to none in Grand cayman for Stingray City/Reef snorkel. You will pay 60% of what you would pay Carnival for the same excursion and you won't be part of the cattle heard hundreds and will have a much more personal & relaxed experience and get the better service you will not get through Carnival. People feel they have to book through carnival for many insecure reasons (safety? missing boat??lol, getting kidnapped etc) only to find out many are paying 50-60% of what they paid and are having a much better experience because the group is 1/10th the size and service is top notch. Cozumel-Nache cocum private beachclub provides unlimited drinks and a 3 course lunch. Done this twice and again in April w/ our 2 year old. Very relaxing day on a beautiful beach.

Stingray City, there's nothing like it in the world and will promise to be the highlight of your trip. Your family will talk about it for a long time

Enjoy!

Don't worry about going hungry, the Lido deck has a buffet that is open most of the time and has a large variety of food. There are also numerous other places to grab a bite during the day.

One other hint is when in these ports, make sure you know what the ship time is- don't go by your cell phone either for time. Have a watch and keep it set to ship time. That way you'll make sure you are back in time for departure.

Your room should be bigger than a broom closet, though not typically as big as a hotel room.

Hopefully you'll have a wonderful time, it's the highlight of my year. No stress, just fun and relaxation. Enjoy:)

Hello everyone!

Thanks,

The Griffins from NC

It seems like people are doing a great job of answering. The only thing I might consider is the cost of 2 inside rooms vs. 1 room with 4 in it for an outside room. Sometimes you can get 2 inside rooms connecting that is not much more. And I think the kids would enjoy their own room.

I want to thank everyone for everything that they've provided. This has been such a great group of folks to help out! I never realized I would have 15+ reponses to my questions in less than 24 hours.

We are extremely excited about this and we know with your guidance, we are going to have an incredible time!

Thanks again,

The Griffins from NC :D

Everyone did a great job answering your questions directly, so I thought I would just share some things I did not know until my first cruise.

Someone mentioned to bring a watch, so I just wanted to comment on that. Do not use your cell phones as a watch. You will be on ships time and your cell phone's time will not be on ships time.

It is extremely expensive to use your cell phones...might want to confiscate the kid's cell phones if they have them. Unless you have an international plan, you can't count on your normal calling plan. Texting is not free. Mobile to mobile is not free. Evenings and weekends are not free. You will be charged international roaming rates. I think one 5-6 minute call to my sister in Ohio from the ship was $7 and some change. You may want to use walkie talkies to communicate with your kids on the ship.

One last point that I just learned on this board recently. Many places in many of the ports charge a 20% fee to use your credit card, so you may want to bring enough cash for port days.

In the ports, always establish a price with the cab drivers, people selling excursions, etc BEFORE you do anything or get into a cab.

I hope you have a great vacation. I've been on the Inspiration twice and loved it both times.

It is extremely expensive to use your cell phones...might want to confiscate the kid's cell phones if they have them. Unless you have an international plan, you can't count on your normal calling plan. Texting is not free. Mobile to mobile is not free. Evenings and weekends are not free. You will be charged international roaming rates. I think one 5-6 minute call to my sister in Ohio from the ship was $7 and some change. You may want to use walkie talkies to communicate with your kids on the ship.

Kim...we have Alltel and we would text and send gorgeous pictures to our kids in Ohio from the Caribbean (well as long as there was reception...that was the problem..) and had no extra charges...our plan allows 1,000 texts a month and as long as we didn't go over that no extra fee...

Hi Griffin Family -

Hope you have a great cruise! It is certainly one of our favorite vacations. Both kids (Girl 12, Boy 8) loved the kids programs on both Carnival and Royal Caribbean.

Definitely do Stingray City...we just went ashore and found a tour right on the pier...way less money and all the vans went to the same marina. The boat we were on was the White Rose and the photo package we got is priceless! In Cozumel there are great beaches, hotel beaches, shopping, etc. It is a very nice island and there are lots of options.

Don't forget the ship...there's great nightlife and we didn't even discover the Karaoke bar until the last night at sea...that was some of the best people watching ever! Also, the piano bar, the atrium bar and late night in the aft bar...you look out to sea, it quiets down and they have some good snacks available at the bar.

You guys are going to have a great time!

Everyone has pretty much answered your questions...I just wanted to add some of my own personal favorite tours...As everyone has said, stingray city is a must in Grand Cayman for a first timer...Save money and get this tour on shore. No need to book through Carnival. When you tender ashore there will be people all over selling excursions to stingray city. They are all wonderful and very safe. This is one port you can feel safe doing this in...GC is a British Island, and is very wealthy! A must buy in GC is Tortuga Rum Cake, great souvenir to take home to your friends. They are yummy, and you can buy them almost anywhere on the Island. As for everything else in GC, too expensive!

I have done some amazing tours in Cozumel...it all depends on what you like to do? If you like a beautiful less crowded beach day, you have to go to nachi Cocom...By far my favorite beach in Cozumel. You cannot book this from Carnival, you have to book privatly. They only allow 100 max guest a day, and both times I've been there maybe 50 total were there. Nachi has a large pool and nice size hot tub with swim up bars. The caribbean sea, beach chairs with cushions, hammocks, unlimited drink both alcoholic and non, three course lunch really good food, and I couldn't even eat every course. You can rent all the water sport activities right at Nachi. Chankanaab Park is also wonderful for the dolphin swim or encounter. Entrance to the park is included with price of dolphin swim...this too you can book privatly directly with Chankanaab on line and save big bucks! Once the swim is over you can spend the day at the park, pool, Caribbean sea, lush Gardens...nice park. But food and drinks you have to buy. If you want to do something more land based, I loved the caverns by jeep with a stop at a private beach with lunch buffet. It is booked with carnival. One of my all time favorite tours!! Myan Ruins, if you want a full day with lots of History. Zip line tour is good too, but I prefer to do this in Belize, but if you don't think you will cruise again, and you like that sort of thing do it in Cozumel...Ok, I've given you enough to think about. If you want info on booking any of those private tours, let me know and I'll get you the web addresses.

~Nancy

Archived