Eastern vs. Western

Could someone give me some feedback/comparisons on Eastern vs. Western Itineraries? I have sailed the Western twice and am looking for something different, but it looks like Eastern itineraries don't have as many "stops" (which I like, husband could just sit on the ship the whole time!). How do they compare as far as activities and "Fun"? Any difference as far as passengers, moods, etc? Anything you can say, would love to hear it! Thanks!

I understand exactly what you're saying and feel the same way.

I've found I really prefer the southern islands. You can make lots of stops (we have five islands on our up-coming Serenade cruise) and the islands in the south are so different from the typical close-to-Florida ports. The catch is that you have to fly to San Juan first. I've found the San Juan cruises are often a little less expensive than comparably eastern/western Caribbean cruises, so it sometimes balances out. Depending on where you're flying from, it's not a much longer flight to go to San Juan than it is to go to Miami.

However, if flying is NOT an option, my recommendation would be to look for a western sailing that visits some of the less popular stops that are less touristy and more "different".

Roatan is very pretty. It's a poor island and not a walk-around place like Grand Cayman, but lovely mountains and beaches.

Belize is another very poor island. There's a shopping area at the dock, but you wouldn't want to walk beyond that on your own. There are Mayan ruins, rain forests, rivers and waterfalls and fabulous snorkeling on the barrier reef.

Ochos Rios gets a bad rap and I avoided ships that cruised there for YEARS and YEARS because of it. I was plesantly surprised recently when docking there on Freedom of the Seas. I found it to be a quite lovely place. We climbed Dunns River Falls, then went over the Jimmy Buffet's Margarittaville. We didn't wanter around the city, but we also felt quite safe.

You'll probably still visit Grand Cayman and Cozumel - AGAIN - no matter what itinerary you pick. You will also be stuck doing the tender thing in the western Caribbean. (Grand Cayman, Labadee and Belize are all tender ports.)

I would really highly recommend you investigate the southern Caribbean. If you can swing the flight to San Juan, you will NOT be disappointed. And with the late departures out of Puerto Rico (ships leave at 8 or 10PM), it's easier to fly in day-of the cruise and avoid the cost of the over-night in Florida.

Worth considering.

Could someone give me some feedback/comparisons on Eastern vs. Western Itineraries? I have sailed the Western twice and am looking for something different, but it looks like Eastern itineraries don't have as many "stops" (which I like, husband could just sit on the ship the whole time!). How do they compare as far as activities and "Fun"? Any difference as far as passengers, moods, etc? Anything you can say, would love to hear it! Thanks!

Personally, we much prefer Eastern over Western - actually love Southern the best! But if you have to go out of a port here, then I for sure choose Eastern, just because I love St Thomas and St Maarten

The Eastern caribbian has geat shopping specifically if you are interested in purchasing jewleary. St Thomas and St. Martin are two great places to shop. The customs allowance when you stop at the U.S. Vergin Islands, of which St Thoms is one is significantly higher. If you go to the eastern caraibbian make sure you stop at Ballerian Jewlers in both St Thomas and St Martinand In St Thomas ask for James . There are two stores and he is in store #1.. Tell him the guy that lives in Scottsdale Arizona sent you. When you get to St Martin, Balerina has two stores across the stree from each other and ask for Toney and also tell him that the guy that lives in Arizona sent you, I am sure you will be well satisfied.

Eastern? Western?? What a wonderful thing to have to decide, ahhhhh. :D

I love them both, but I think if I had to decide it would be SOUTHERN!!!

Aruba, Barbados, Dominica, Curacao!! Leave from San Juan and in two divine sea days you arrived to the splendor of the Caribbean. And, oh yeah, you get to hit a few Eastern islands on the way back. Heaven!!

I love both Eastern and Western. Western is nice b/c you often get the Mexican stops and some Mexican culture. But, I've had awesome cruises in all parts of the Caribbean. Some of the nicest beaches I've ever seen are at the Eastern ports.

Archived