First cruise snorkel questions....

I have a teen age grandson who likes snorkeling. I suppose teen girls do, too.

Surprisingly for a ship sponsored trip, the catamaran was not crowded.

The snorkeling, at the third largest reef in the whole wide world, is excellent.

It's a nice boat ride and great snorkeling. What's not to like? :)

http://www.furycat.com/key-west/snorkeling.htm

Need some input from anyone who has done the 3 HOUR FURY SNORKEL gig in Key West....anyone have ANY info???? Did you like, where did you go, would 2 teen girls like it???

The fury can get crowded depending on how many people book the excursion. I actually prefer the Floridays. It's a sailboat that only takes 16 people max. You should be aware the snorkeling takes place in 15-25ft. of water in the open ocean (the reefs rise up but don't quite breach the surface). So you should be a competent swimmer and not afraid of the ocean (which you shouldn't be, people naturally float in seawater). You didn't say when you were going. If it's from now to mid-spring, the water will be in the very low 70s so snorkeling in a rash guard or neoprene shorty wetsuit is very appropriate. Mid- to Late-spring into summer, swim suit is fine. Also visibility is much worst during early spring. The sand beds to the south of KW can swirl up if the winds are blowing (think lots of sugar in a water glass) so visibility can be questionable.

But with all that said, the reefs are fun. Lots of fish, crabs, turtles and, if lucky, nurse sharks (which are more like large catfish that just sit on the bottom and are totally harmless). If you can provide information on the dates I can provide more specific information (one of my favorite places on earth).

Randall

Archived