Cruising Panama Canal with disabled family

kmavb

Hi there...I'm wanting to take my parents and 94 yr old grandma on a Panama canal cruise. Dad uses a cane and/or walker...and grandma can walk slowly, but she will need a wheel chair to navigate around the ship. Will they enjoy a Panama canal cruise. As a family we've only been on a 7 day Alaskan cruise...and IT WAS FABULOUS!!! Just right for my family!!! But I'm wondering how they'd fit a Panama canal cruise??? Will they have mobility difficulties on board the ship, or during excursions while in the different ports??? PLEASE HELP!!! We need advice from the experienced travelers...especially those who use a walker/wheelchair while on board the cruise ship.

THANKS!!!

I too have done the Alaska cruise and was amazed at the amount of older folks with walkers,scooters and oxygen tanks on the cruise. IT' great to see that people don't have to be house bound these days.

As for your question I think Panama (full transit cruise) would be good for them as they wouldn't have to get off ship to see the ships transit through the docks.

I would also call your cruise line re: excursions as I have seen in the past(NCL cruise line) has used buses that have the wheelchair lift.

• 1 month later...

I use a wheelchair fulltime and we did Valparasio to FLL in March 2008. I'm about to hit 50 and other than some mild problems coughing from missing muscles around my lower ribs in reasonably good health. I do notice some wheezing outside on code red ozone days here near Baltimore. All that said, after two hours on our aft balcony from 6:30 to 8:30 am I suddenly didn't feel so hot. Actually felt too hot. Went inside and in those 2 hours with no real sun out yet I was at 102.0F and glad I brought that stupid little inhaler. Some ice water and splashing a lot more ice water on my face and neck had me feeling tired but fine. We used the indoor viewing areas until the very end of the canal when we went out to watch the canal fade a way.

Older folks tend to have problems with high humidity and high temperatures also. Although at 8:30 I was still comfortable in my light weight jeans and a tee shirt so it wasn't 80 yet I should have kept a better eye on my temp. I don't sweat properly so it is hard to guage. I'd suggest a good check up for grandma and especially ask about high humidity/high temperature and then decide on excursions.

We'll be doing the PC again in October and I can't wait.

kmavb, Unfortunately in most Latin American countries they have no concept of "accessibility" . . . at least not like in the US and Canada. So there are limitations on availability of shore excursions: you need to check with your cruise line and then when you get on the ship check with the shore excursion people who have the most up-to-date information.

That being said, a transit through the Canal is ideal for folks with mobility problems because the "main event" is visible from the deck of the ship. Holland America accomodates lots of folks with mobility problems and they seem to have no problem getting around the ship. The Crow's Nest area provides ideal, air conditioned viewing throughout the Canal transit.

Hope that helps!

Regards, Richard

Archived