Fins vs water shoes//going in vs getting around

POTOMACRUISER

BRING IT ON!!!! MANY FOLKS SAY I'VE GOT TO USE WATER SHOES TO ENTER FROM ROCKY/CORAL (NON SAND) BEACHES. OR................

**MUST I USE FINS WHEN SNORKELING??****** I'm talking close-in beach stuff, not out in the Channel.

(it's also a matter of supply...there seem to be plenty of masks and snorkels, but only expensive fins, and few of them. )

NONE of this would be a problem if Princess still rented their own fins and masks...............

Help.

THANKS THANKS THANKS

BRING IT ON!!!! MANY FOLKS SAY I'VE GOT TO USE WATER SHOES TO ENTER FROM ROCKY/CORAL (NON SAND) BEACHES. OR................

**MUST I USE FINS WHEN SNORKELING??****** I'm talking close-in beach stuff, not out in the Channel.

(it's also a matter of supply...there seem to be plenty of masks and snorkels, but only expensive fins, and few of them. )

NONE of this would be a problem if Princess still rented their own fins and masks...............

Help.

THANKS THANKS THANKS

Fins help you move through the water easier and quicker. If you're snorkling from the shore and are happy just floating on top and watching, you'll be fine without fins. If you want to move more quickly, or dive below the surface, fins would be helpful.

Water shoes are nice for some rocky areas. Where are you headed to, others can advise how rocky the entrance may be?

Fins are NOT useful AT ALL for entry into the water or 'walking' over the first shallow rocks. If you must walk a short distance in fins, do so walking backwards. Otherwise the fin portion in the water will have you falling all over the place.

Fins are not required once you get in, but I would say in the times I have not had them - I wished I did. They make movement and getting to/from so much easier. If you drift 'out' with the current and then have to swim 'back in' with no fins...you will wish you had.

The rubber black fins are cheap, may have to search around for them in your town. However, fins are heavy and in today's airline rules - may not be worth the upcharges.

I assume you are just headed to a beach on your own, because every cruise/independent tour these days (and most beach shacks, bars, clubs, etc) all have gear for rent.

Help.

THANKS THANKS THANKS

I aways equate fins to canoe paddles. You can paddle a canoe with a stick but it's really hard. Swimming in the ocean, in water over your head, is like that. Fins make all the difference, not just in manuvering but safety as well. If you had to get back to shore because of a rogue current (they can come just feet from shore) to you get a sting, or you get too close to coral and get cut, fins will get you back. As far as shore, even neoprene socks work, depends on how much you walked on hot asphalt and gravel as a child. I've walked across rocky shore barefoot before just being careful where I step. It's really a personal thing on how well entries are on your feet.

Randall

If you're going to buy fins, consider the open-heel type where you also wear neoprene booties (with harder rubber soles) and adjust the strap to ensure a good fit. This way, if you need to enter the water in a rocky area you can carry yor fins and wade in far enough to where you can put the fins on and swim.

I aways equate fins to canoe paddles. You can paddle a canoe with a stick but it's really hard. Swimming in the ocean, in water over your head, is like that. Fins make all the difference, not just in manuvering but safety as well. If you had to get back to shore because of a rogue current (they can come just feet from shore) to you get a sting, or you get too close to coral and get cut, fins will get you back. As far as shore, even neoprene socks work, depends on how much you walked on hot asphalt and gravel as a child. I've walked across rocky shore barefoot before just being careful where I step. It's really a personal thing on how well entries are on your feet.

Randall

I agree that fins are needed. They provide added safety for sure. Currents can catch you unexpectedly. I've even invested in a snorkeling vest after being caught in a strong current in open water that quickly separated our small group. If fins are too much weight for the luggage at least bring and wear a snorkel vest. They are very light, pack flat; you only inflate them with air if you are in danger. They are available on line if you can't find one locally.

Archived