First time in Belize

nancyv58

This will be our first time in Belize and wondering what to do. We have always been fairly active (ziplines, tubing, snorkeling etc) But just about 1 year ago I was diagnosed with cancer and my pain is pretty severe on most days. Wondering what we should do for a shore excursion would love to do the cave tubing but am worried about the walk to and from the caves. Also would love some suggestions for Cozumel (probably Paradise Beach) and also Roatan. Thanks for any and all suggestions.

This will be our first time in Belize and wondering what to do. We have always been fairly active (ziplines, tubing, snorkeling etc) But just about 1 year ago I was diagnosed with cancer and my pain is pretty severe on most days. Wondering what we should do for a shore excursion would love to do the cave tubing but am worried about the walk to and from the caves. Also would love some suggestions for Cozumel (probably Paradise Beach) and also Roatan. Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Hi Nancy, When we went to Belize we did a combo river trip and visit to Altun Ha ruins. We saw a ton of wildlife on the river and the ruins were in easy walking distance of where the tour bus parked. The problem you may have is the poor road conditions going to the ruins though, if a bumpy bus ride would trigger pain [i have a bad back and did fine though]. Snorkelling on the reef is supposed to be really nice and from a pain perspective I think swimming or enjoying a nice beach would be nice. My sister and I are going in April and are planning on catching a water taxi to Caye Caulker. This is a small island that's supposed to be very quaint. you can rent golf carts to tour the island. The taxi runs fairly frequently so you could stay as long as you wanted. You can google Caye Caulker and Caye Caulker water taxi for more info. Since I have not yet done this, I can't speak from actual experience. The other option is to check out Coral Breeze tours that have been recommended on these boards. They have a snorkel trip that goes to Caye Caulker or other options. You could also check your cruiselines list of excurisions to see what looks interesting to you. Do something away from the port though- other than shops there is nothing to do here.

For Roatan, consider doing as island tour with Victor Bodden. You can read unlimited reviews of his tours and guides. We used him 2 years ago and will be going again this year. Your guide will have plenty of suggestions for places to see and do and you can spend as long as you like at the destinations. Again, you will be at your own pace and there are many things to see and do.

In Cozumel, we went to Passion Island for a private beach day on a beautiful beach. This year we are still deciding what to do- just keep checking the port boards for ideas.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise. I too suffer from chronic pain, but cruises are the highlight of my year. I hope your doctor and you can find the right combo of medications and treatments to keep your pain at bay so you can focus on having a great trip:)

Archived