Cozumel Advice???

My DH and I are going on first ever cruise to Cozumel and Belize next week. We have an excursion booked in Belize through RCCL but are considering renting a vehicle and driving around Cozumel on our own. We want to see as much as Cozumel as we can. Has anyone done this? Would it be considered safe? If you have done this, where is best place to rent a vehicle?

I'm not sure there's a lot to see, in all honesty. Most of the sites are off the main road and I'm not sure what you'd see just driving about. We usually book a beach break with a private provider in order to sace a few pesos but really, Cozumel has the town of San Miguel, a number of great beaches and not a lot else. I love Coz and it being on an itinerary would be a plus for us but it's not very diverse.

I'll give you some advice for Cozumel. Be careful in the bars. Those drinks are so awesome that youll get so tipsy, lose track of time, and bam the ship is gone. I think Cozumel is the only port where ive always seen people running to catch the ship.

As for Belize, I did the Bannister Island excursion. It was absolutely beautiful. My advice if you decided to do that, bring water shoes. There are millions of tiny sea shells that hurt when you try to wade in the ocean.

My DH and I are going on first ever cruise to Cozumel and Belize next week. We have an excursion booked in Belize through RCCL but are considering renting a vehicle and driving around Cozumel on our own. We want to see as much as Cozumel as we can. Has anyone done this? Would it be considered safe? If you have done this, where is best place to rent a vehicle?

Try the Cozumel Bar Hop. My friends and I did that a few weeks ago. $49 gets you around the entire island, stopping at 5 bars with a shot at each and Tom is the greatest!

www.cozumelbarhop.com

Best $49 I've spent in a LONG time!!!

Try the Cozumel Bar Hop. My friends and I did that a few weeks ago. $49 gets you around the entire island, stopping at 5 bars with a shot at each and Tom is the greatest!

www.cozumelbarhop.com

The bars in Cozumel are dangerous :D

This seems like an awesome tour though.

How big are the shots?

My DH and I are going on first ever cruise to Cozumel and are considering renting a vehicle and driving around Cozumel on our own. We want to see as much as Cozumel as we can. Has anyone done this?
Sure, we have when we've been to Cozumel for land vacations.
Would it be considered safe?
Yes, definitely as long as you drive extra carefully if you go into town. There is usually light traffic to the south of town and very little on the must visit East side of the island.
If you have done this, where is best place to rent a vehicle?
I've used Avis, both thru their online website and thru http://www.cozumelinsider.com Be sure to get the full coverage insurance.

Also, do yourself a huge favor and get the Cozumel map from http://www.cancunmap.com

Hiring a taxi by the hour is a great idea if you plan on doing any drinking during your visit. Drinking and driving doesn't mix, especially in Cozumel (or most other foreign countries for that matter).

Just can't seem to make up my mind on what to do. If we decided to walk in Cozumel about how far would certain things be from the pier, i.e. main shopping area, beaches, restaurants, etc. We have walked alot when been on vacation before. One time I think we walked 9 miles because the traffic was so heavy it was quicker to walk everywhere.

Just can't seem to make up my mind on what to do. If we decided to walk in Cozumel about how far would certain things be from the pier, i.e. main shopping area, beaches, restaurants, etc. We have walked alot when been on vacation before. One time I think we walked 9 miles because the traffic was so heavy it was quicker to walk everywhere.

I would not walk. It's a few miles and there is lots of traffic. I think a cab from the ship to town is $3 each.

If you plan to see the whole island of Cozumel, take a tour or rent a car -- do NOT do what we did, which was rent an electric vehicle (aka fancy golf cart). Sure, it's a fun way to get around if you want to visit places not too far from the ship, but you'll never make it around the island with it. We used it to visit the bars, the mall, and a beach close by. But it's slow and we held up traffic! :D

We rented a jeep as soon as we got off the ship, and drove all around the island. We followed the map and explored nearby ruins, the first church built there, and the beautiful beaches. We stopped at Carlos & Charlie's for lunch. It was one of the best days of that particular cruise!

I'm not sure if you are going this week or next and if it's this week then you are already there......but here's some more advice, just in case.

Do NOT rent any kind of vehicle....especially if you plan to drink anything. The drinks will kick your butt! Also, if you get in even the slightest fender-bender, YOU will be at fault....that's just the way it is, and has been for at least 40 years that I know of, in Mexico.

If you really want to see the island there are some great guides. We use Adrian Argulo, whose family owns Especias Restaurant. He can show you some great places! I highly recommend going to the "wild side" of the island and visiting a couple of the beach bars. I also recommend going to Punta Sur (eco-reserve...costs an extra $10) if you are into nature-type stuff at all. It is REALLY interesting and there is a beautiful lighthouse there.

If you just want to shop and do the touristy things (Senor Frogs, etc) then take a cab to that area.....and take a cab back! It's a quite a walk....

IMG_1717.jpg.57b0c342f801ce0c3076449684661d38.jpg

We rented a jeep as soon as we got off the ship, and drove all around the island. We followed the map and explored nearby ruins, the first church built there, and the beautiful beaches. We stopped at Carlos & Charlie's for lunch. It was one of the best days of that particular cruise!

Do you remember who you rented from? Some of the other posts I have read have said that renting a vehicle at the pier the day of arrival can cost double than renting on-line before arrival.

I've heard way too many horror stories about renting a car in Cozumel.....I have been to Cozumel alot........Love the place,but wouldnt drive myself.....

PS.we did walk back from town last December and it is a lot longer than it looks(esp if its warm out!!!):eek:

It was Budget, right at the pier. The reason it may have seemed double the cost is because at time of rental it's in pesos, so it looks worse. The agent told us that it would show up on our credit card statement in US$ and it did, so it was the correct amount (same US$ amt. he stated at time of rental). Since we used American Express to pay for it and it was Budget, not an unknown or local agency, we weren't too worried, and as it turns out it was a wonderful experience all around. We had our two daughters, ages 12 and 15, with us and we all enjoyed it, and even though we went to Carlos & Charlie's, we didn't drink, so that was no issue.

Have been on this port stop MANY times. To me the best thing to do is look for a beach that you can PAY for the day, unless you book something thru the cruiseline. I wouldn't want to rent a car and go out on my own at this port.

Every time we go to Cozumel, we go to Playa Mia beach, hang out until about noon, and then go to Pancho's downtown and eat. After that it's shopping for a couple of hours and then back to the ship. Cozumel is one of our favorite places.

As for Belize, we did the Talum Ha Mayan Ruins tour. It was fantastic.

The state dept. has issued warnings about being careful in Mexico. We were just in Cozumel a few weeks ago but were on a privately booked excursion and felt completely safe......see below....I'm one of the friends :D

www.cozumelbarhop.com

Hey, I know you! :p What a fun day and yes, Tom IS the greatest!

The bars in Cozumel are dangerous :D

This seems like an awesome tour though.

How big are the shots?

The first stop at Paradise Beach we were given some pretty awesome margaritas. The other stops were shots.....shot sized shots, LOL. I don't think they were pure alcohol though....more of a tiny mixed drink but they were very good. At several of the stops we all ordered additional full sized drinks and even some food which was very yummy. The tour was absolutely awesome and I would do it again in a heartbeat. It was more than worth the $49 per person that is charged.

www.cozumelbarhop.com

At this moment that sounds like a fun tour...doubt my mom would tag along though...:D She thinks I won't even get off the ship at any port, however I did correct her in that I do plan to go see Stingray City in Grand Cayman...she wants to do the sub tour somewhere on the route...I suggested the one in GC since it is a nicer dive spot than Coz.

To OP

I would not rent and drive around unless it is with a driving tour. I hear too many problems and too much payoff to corrupt government cops. Have not tried it personally so can't spear from first hand experience on that one. Try the destination boards for more info on renting and driving.

Enjoy your cruise whatever you decide.

DO NOT RENT A VEHICLE IN COZ!

It is a fools mission to do do so.

Between the crazy traffic, crooked gas station attendents, scary cops, and the language barrier you could be very sorry.

We have been there at least 15 times.

You can charter a taxi for $20 an hour (with a small bit of negotiation).

Do not get in the taxi line at the port!

You may have a long wait and then get stuck with a driver who will not haggle.

Simply walk a block to your left on the main steet over to the time share/resort El Cid.

There will beat least twenty desperate drivers fighting for your business most of whom speak engish (that is why they hang out at El Cid!)

Charter the cab for art least 5 hours @ $20 an hour.

It will be the best and safest $100 you can spend.

We have him drive to the ocean side of the island, away from the below average tourist traps in town.

Have him take you to Coconuts (opens at 11:00 a.m.).

On the drive over, tell him to stop at the "PeePee Station", the best and least expensive place to buy blankets, slver etc.

The drive over has some great scenic views.

Coconuts is located on the highest natural point on the island.

You have to climb a modest set of stairs up the cliff.

Once there great hospitality, food, and view.

The owneres name is cu coo.

He is the only one in bare feet!

Have a great lunch and when done have the driver give you a tour.

DO NOT RENT A VEHICLE IN COZ!

It is a fools mission to do do so.

Between the crazy traffic, crooked gas station attendents, scary cops, and the language barrier you could be very sorry.

We have been there at least 15 times.

You can charter a taxi for $20 an hour (with a small bit of negotiation).

Do not get in the taxi line at the port!

You may have a long wait and then get stuck with a driver who will not haggle.

Simply walk a block to your left on the main steet over to the time share/resort El Cid.

There will beat least twenty desperate drivers fighting for your business most of whom speak engish (that is why they hang out at El Cid!)

Charter the cab for art least 5 hours @ $20 an hour.

It will be the best and safest $100 you can spend.

We have him drive to the ocean side of the island, away from the below average tourist traps in town.

Have him take you to Coconuts (opens at 11:00 a.m.).

On the drive over, tell him to stop at the "PeePee Station", the best and least expensive place to buy blankets, slver etc.

The drive over has some great scenic views.

Coconuts is located on the highest natural point on the island.

You have to climb a modest set of stairs up the cliff.

Once there great hospitality, food, and view.

The owneres name is cu coo.

He is the only one in bare feet!

Have a great lunch and when done have the driver give you a tour.

Thank you sooo much for the very detailed advise/suggestion. I will probably do this. I really want to see the east side of the island and eat at a really cool place with great views. This is our first time out of the continental US and really want to experience as much as possible.

Archived