1st timer in Belize with 9yr old, suggestions?

G8RGRAD92

• 2 weeks later...
My ten year old was eight when we did cave tubing with Yhoni. She lists it as one of her two best excursions ever.

On our next trip to Belize we are going to do the NCL excursion to Lamanai.

We are in Belize next week and have been debating going cave tubing over and over. I'm a little concerned about the safety (I have read EVERY thread about tubing) but really want to go. We have 2 boys (ages 9 & 12) and I think they would love it too but I just want to be 100% sure they will be safe. My youngest is very accident-prone!!

I believe this time of year the water level is low and isn't running as quickly as it does in the Fall so that may make it more safe.

What to do, what to do?? I'm also a little worried about being late back at the tender. I would book with Yhony or Major Tom and not with the cruise ship as RCCL only allows kids 10 and over.

I guess I better make up my mind as we leave for Florida on Saturday!!:eek:

The water was VERY shallow when we went (hence, the phrase on the t shirts we bought- "Butts Up!") There was absolutely no issue getting back to the ship on time with Yhoni. We had a delicious meal on the way back and had time for a cold drink back at the port before we took a tender to the ship.

As far as safety, I was very impressed with our guide's attitude toward the safety of the guests and much less impressed with the philosophy of the cruiseline excursion operators. They appeared to turn the guests loose at the start of the tubing and pick them up at the bottom whereas our guide stayed with the group which was linked together.

I would not hesitate to take my daughter on this excursion again.

Have fun!

Barb

Just wondering if any of you brought your passports with you in Belize or left them on the ship?? I really don't want to a) loose them b) get them soaked but I also don't want to be without them if for some unforseen reason we miss the ship.

p.s. I booked with Yhony today so I'm really excited to have finally bit the bullet!

Yhoni gave us flashlights. DH is absolutely terrified of caves in general and is clauustrophobic but had NO problem on this excursion.

I don't ever take my passport ashore but I make a photocopy of everyone's passport before we leave home and I take the photocopy in a plastic sleeve in my bag when I go on an excursion. (I take my driver's license as ID on shore excursions.) You can leave your stuff on the bus with no worries about its safety.

Have fun.

We were there last week; you don't need passports or ID ashore, just your sea pass. All your gear stays in a locked van during the tour. The caves are long and dark but everyone has a headlamp and the caves are huge, no low ceilings. They are spectacular and you'll never see anything like it again.

Wear an old T Shirt over your bathing suits, it helps when you are carrying the innertube.

I hope you picked the lunch included; you'll be hungry and the food is fabulous. We went with Ivar from Coral Breeze and it was our best day of the week.

Archived