PORTAUTHORITY We need you!

CHIEB2812

This is a question for Port Authority, I couldn't find his thread. We have travelled the Mexican Riviera several times, and always feel comfortable, we know the ports very well, however, this is our first trip into Acapulco and are not very familiar with this port. Our plans are/were taking a ship shopping excursion in the morning, which takes us back to the ship, then we were going to catch a cab for all 5 of us to the Hard Rock Cafe, then a cab from there to the restaraunt you mentioned (La Perla?) Where you can see the cliff divers, and then a cab back to the ship. How "safe" are our plans? How has the violence spread in Acapulco? Have you noticed any major changes? This is honestly the first time we have ever been aprehensive with a port of call. We leave April 27th on the Star Princess. Thank you for any help, I hope you get this! -The Goldston's-:confused:

This is a question for Port Authority, I couldn't find his thread. We have travelled the Mexican Riviera several times, and always feel comfortable, we know the ports very well, however, this is our first trip into Acapulco and are not very familiar with this port. Our plans are/were taking a ship shopping excursion in the morning, which takes us back to the ship, then we were going to catch a cab for all 5 of us to the Hard Rock Cafe, then a cab from there to the restaraunt you mentioned (La Perla?) Where you can see the cliff divers, and then a cab back to the ship. How "safe" are our plans? How has the violence spread in Acapulco? Have you noticed any major changes? This is honestly the first time we have ever been aprehensive with a port of call. We leave April 27th on the Star Princess. Thank you for any help, I hope you get this! -The Goldston's-:confused:

All the troubles in Mexico are in the boarder towns, particularly Juarez and T.J. Go and enjoy!

Mark.

I would call our TA or Princess, but would rather trust that information to someone who is there. PortAuthority is actually in Acapulco, so I figured we could certainly trust his judgement. If we decide to nix our plans, we'll still get off the ship, but just stick around the port instead. We have stayed on the ship while in port before, it was wonderful! Very quiet. Nice day to people watch :D We have indeed heard that most of the violence is in and around the border towns, however, we have heard twice within a news briefing, them mention Acapulco, so are still a little unsure. We would love to go explore a little bit before Acapulco becomes too touristy and all of the new resorts are finished. Do either of you or anyone else have any reccomendations in Acapulco? Something we shouldn't miss? We aren't huge beach people, nor will you find any of us on a zip line somewhere :rolleyes: but we love shopping and exploring the sights!

Go here. It is the Acapulco forum board of TripAdvisor (CruiseCritics parent company). They have "destination experts" for Acapulco who either live there or spend a lot of time there. They will let you know what is going on. Note: you will have to join (to ask questions) just like here on CruiseCritic but in most cases, you can probably keep your same screen name/password (for simplicity).

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g150787-i177-Acapulco_Pacific_Coast.html

Here are also ones for Zihuatanejo

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g153445-i356-Ixtapa_Zihuatanejo_Pacific_Coast.html

And Manzanillo

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g150791-i474-Manzanillo_Pacific_Coast.html

Archived