Fun in......Belize

august1963

Hi! I've been there twice. The first time we went on a tour called Shark Ray Alley. It was fun but it takes a long time to get there via boat (45min - 1hr). We snorkeled, went for lunch at this really quaint place right on the water, and then went to see the rays and sharks. We saw a ton of rays, a barracuda, and other fish but no sharks. They really shouldn't call it "Shark" Ray Alley because from what I understand it's very rare to actually see a shark. Anyway, we did enjoy ourselves but I didn't like the long boat ride there. The second time to Belize we went cavetubing. Great adventure, tons of fun! It's a long ride (about an hour) to the place and then like another 45 minute walk to reach the first cave. I guess that varies though, depending on what company you choose and how many caves you tube through. The dock area has a few bars right on the water that we really enjoy before catching the tender back. I wouldn't venture outside of the port area. You'll see it's all fenced off. Not safe from what I understand. Hope this helps!!!

It really depends on how long you are going to be there. If you have just one day, I would either head out to the second largest barrier reef in the world for some scuba or snorkling or to the jungle and see some of the Mayan ruins. If you have more time (i.e. before or after a cruise) you could try an eco-tour of the jungle or even take a tubing trip through a river cave.

I'm not sure how it is now, but when we went back in the 90's Belize City was no place to hang out (lots of crime). So we spent half our time exploring the Mayan ruins and caves while staying in a screened cabana in the middle of the jungle and half our time out on Ambergris Cay sailing and snorkling. Made for a very memorable and fun trip.

I have no idea what the cruise lines have to offer, but it can be an "interesting" place to try to navigate by yourself.

Take Care,

Most cruiselines are in Belize from 8am till 5pm so really one tour is about the most you have time for ie. cave tubing, or bannister island, etc...... Agree that anything outside the fenced area is kinda scary.... the locals although friendly, sometimes make you feel a tad nervous.

Belize is wonderful... Ambergris Caye is gorgeous and if you want to go to a sleepy fishing village... Caye Caulker.....

The barrier reef is a great snorkeling adventure, but anything you do In belize is time consuming getting there !

Can anyone tell me something fun to do in Belize? Thanks!
At the pier....."The Wet Lizard" bar/semirestaurant......it is the Carlos and Charlies of Belize. Great gathering place. Try the local Bilikins beer there...yummmmmm:D:D

I am hoping to be in Belize next week aboard the Legend
I am doing it (Legend) in Oct. Will be my 4th time in Belize......Have been there twice on HAL and once on Celebrity....

If you have had enough of tours there or what you do is done early outside the pier to the right one street back is the Smoky Mermaid Restaurant. It is one of my favorite places to eat. Just google or yahoo Smoky Mermaid Belize. They have pics and the menu. It is now a small hotel that used to be the government building. Very English Colonial. It has a large enclosed courtyard out back. They have tree hut type of thing also but it is only used at night. They will serve you off the lunch or dinner menu. Just ask nice on the dinner menu thing and they'll do it. Wonderful lobster.....and great owner and staff......;)

I am doing it (Legend) in Oct. Will be my 4th time in Belize......Have been there twice on HAL and once on Celebrity....

If you have had enough of tours there or what you do is done early outside the pier to the right one street back is the Smoky Mermaid Restaurant. It is one of my favorite places to eat. Just google or yahoo Smoky Mermaid Belize. They have pics and the menu. It is now a small hotel that used to be the government building. Very English Colonial. It has a large enclosed courtyard out back. They have tree hut type of thing also but it is only used at night. They will serve you off the lunch or dinner menu. Just ask nice on the dinner menu thing and they'll do it. Wonderful lobster.....and great owner and staff......;)

Have eaten there one time... you are correct... EXCELLENT !!!

I have an investment/retirement condo being built on Ambergris Caye (hope to be ready for personal use or rentals within the next 6 months).... will take a visit over there for our day in Belize if this cruise falls into place next sunday.

The one thing I found with Belikin was that no two were ever exactly alike. Don't know if it is the quality control or the weather, they were all good, but each one seemed to have its own variation in flavor. :rolleyes:

The one thing I found with Belikin was that no two were ever exactly alike. Don't know if it is the quality control or the weather, they were all good, but each one seemed to have its own variation in flavor. :rolleyes:

When we stayed in Belize for a week about 8 yrs ago we discovered that they have a Belikin for tourists and a different one for the locals. Perhaps that was the difference.

Archived