Newbie Coz snorkel with kids

kpoj

We are taking our first cruise this summer on RCCL and will be stopping in Cozumel. We wanted to do some snorkeling, but I'm a little overwhelmed with all the information and threads.

None of us have snorkeled, but are in average physical condition and decent swimmers. In addition to my wife, we will be snorkeling with kids (ages 11 & 14).

Wanted some advice on a decent operator and had several questions.

1) Do you just wear your bathing suit off the ship or are there changing areas?

2) What do you do with your valuables while in the water? Not sure I feel comfortable with the old wallet in the shoe.

3) Do people generally go back to the ship after the excursion to change?

4) Are we better off choosing a vendor off the RCCL website to book the excursion? I noticed the 3 Reef Snorkel Excursion.

5) Is tipping required after the excursion?

6) Is snorkeling with kids a reasonable expectation?

I really appreciate any advice we can get.

KPOJ

We are taking our first cruise this summer on RCCL and will be stopping in Cozumel. We wanted to do some snorkeling, but I'm a little overwhelmed with all the information and threads.

None of us have snorkeled, but are in average physical condition and decent swimmers. In addition to my wife, we will be snorkeling with kids (ages 11 & 14).

Wanted some advice on a decent operator and had several questions.

Mike - Many sites have changing areas, some don't. As a guy, I am probably lucky. I wear board shorts just about everywhere, so I am ready to swim, or shop.

2) What do you do with your valuables while in the water? Not sure I feel comfortable with the old wallet in the shoe.

Mike - I usually take a minimum number of items off the ship. I purchased an underwater plastic bag designed for the purpose on line to store my ship card, a small amount of cash, ID, and credit card in. It can go around my neck, but usually fits in the pocket of my board shorts. I have gotten away with a ziplock bag in my pocket to keep valuables dry. Bottom line, don't leave them on the beach, don't take more items of the ship than you really need.

Mike - My wife and I snorkeled in Cozumel, and then walked around the shopping area in our swim suits before returning to the ship. It doesn't take long to dry off in the sun. My wife sometimes carries a swim suite wrap.

4) Are we better off choosing a vendor off the RCCL website to book the excursion? I noticed the 3 Reef Snorkel Excursion.

Mike - OK, most of the time I discourage going with the ship excursions. A little on line research, and you can usually find a better (and less crowded) deal on your own. In Grand Cayman for example, you can walk to a snorkel site from the ship, and snorkel for free! While we were there, we saw a bunch of paying customers from the ship being herded around. The worst though were the poor folks who paid for the catamaran trip. It was anchored in the same spot. Did I mention it was an easy 10 minute walk from the ship? All that being said, if you have never snorkeled before, sometimes a ship excursion is a great way to get started.

Mike - Like anywhere else these days, tipping probably isn't required, but always appreciated! I try not to bow to the social pressure however. If I had a good experience, I generously show my appreciation. If not, not so much!

Mike - You will probably find your kids adapt to it much quicker than you do! I started snorkeling when I was about 10 years old, and thought nothing of it. My wife started when she was about 30, and had some apprehension to get over. Now she loves it!

I really appreciate any advice we can get.

KPOJ

Please see comments above. I hope this helps!

-Mike

1) Do you just wear your bathing suit off the ship or are there changing areas? I wear my suit off the ship -- usually under shorts and a t-shirt

2) What do you do with your valuables while in the water? Not sure I feel comfortable with the old wallet in the shoe.We purchased a small waterpack at a local dive store that belts around one of our waists. We put our money and ID in it. And we have an underwater camera that we bring into the water with us by attaching it to our wrist. The only thing we leave on shore is our dive bag full of clothes.

3) Do people generally go back to the ship after the excursion to change? You can. However, we usually just put a t-shirt and shorts over our suits and wander around "as is."

4) Are we better off choosing a vendor off the RCCL website to book the excursion? I noticed the 3 Reef Snorkel Excursion. Maybe/maybe not. On one hand, if you go with a RCCL vendor, the ship will wait for you if your excursion group is late getting back to the ship. However, chances are an excursion from the ship will be crowded, so you might not get the best one-on-one help that you may need as a first-time snorkeler.

5) Is tipping required after the excursion? It's not necessarily "required," but we've always done it if we go with an organized excursion.

6) Is snorkeling with kids a reasonable expectation? Very reasonable if you're kids are comfortable in the water. My 8 year old is a fish and swam halfway to Belize while snorkeling in Akumal last summer. I've seen other much-older kids freak in the water their first time out, but they do tend to calm down and enjoy themselves once they relax.

Most people wear their bathing suit under t-shirt and shorts when they leave the ship and plan to get into the water during the day.
Depends on if you are snorkeling from shore or on a boat. IF you are shore snorkeling, then some places have lockers. Chankanaab Park, a recommended shore snorkel site, does have lockers. If you do a boat snorkel trip, you just leave your stuff on the boat, it will be safe there. If you want the best snorkeling, you'll want to do a small boat snorkel trip.
Generally, I'd say no. It really isn't super convenient.
IMO, you are definitely better off going with a private tour rather than one of the ship's snorkel tours. A private tour will be smaller, take you to the better snorkel sites, and provide you with better service. My impression of the ship's tours is that the quality of the snorkeling takes a back seat to other considerations, such as how far the boat has to travel to the snorkel site and how much of a "Party" atmosphere is provided.

I'd recommend going with someone like http://www.eagleraydivers.com or the Mystic Snorkel tour

Also, while the ship is likely to wait for a ship's excursion if it is late, they are not required to wait so it isn't a guaranteed thing.

Required? No. Appreciated, definitely.
Yes, definitely. If your kids are comfortable in the water, they'll enjoy seeing the fish.

My boys snorkeled for the first time in Aruba at 6 & 8. It is one of the best times we have ever had together! Now we can't take a trip if it doesn't include a snorkeling event.

Everyone above has given you great advice. I only have two things to add.

1. When we travel anywhere my wife and I wear no jewlery, put on a $9 Walmart watch, buy a cheap nylon wallet & carry 1 credit card & less than $100 in cash. We store more money cards & passports in the safe at the hotel or ship. It is great never worrying about stuff getting robbed. Snorkeling we have a heavy vinyl ziplock pouch that I tie to my suit and fits in the pocket with one credit card and a few bucks.
  2. Whenever we travel with the boys we always put them incharge of tipping. We teach them it is a way of saying "Thank You"

Archived