Price for baby 6 months

Bowie MeMe

My daughter is interested in cruising out of Baltimore with a baby boy who will be six months and 2 days old. He will still be nursing or bottle fed. Does anyone know how much is charged for an infant? Does the baby have to have a passport or can a birth certificate work? Any other tips -- yeah someone please tell them to take MeMe and Granddaddy:p

Hi!

I think it depends on cruiselines. On NCL my 7 month daughter would pay 2 euros :p and taxes. On MSC she would pay nothing (not even taxes). However the aproximate same itinerary at the same dates would cost me 600 euros less with NCL. I'm still studying it all.

I think you really have to look at several aspects (tax prices, discounts, etc) and not really at how much the child or infant pays. It takes a lot of work, huh?! ;)

On NCL you only pay taxes and port fees for children under two. I think price is similar for Disney. For other cruise lines (RCL, Carnival etc) the infant pays the same price as any 3rd or 4th passanger. It doesn't matter if the child is only nursing, the price is the same. This was one of the reasons we have been cruising NCL recently. (at least until DD turns 2)

As far as the passport goes I'm not sure the official answer on this. I thought everyone needed a passport so we got our DD one before her first cruise at 6 mo. I have seen in posted on here that young children don't need one so maybe I was wrong. I would call the cruise line and get to official answer from them. I still think it is safer to travel out of the country with a passport just in case you have an emergency and need to fly home from a port.

I agree, I got a passport for my little ones when they were six months old and we bring them all the time. I am not sure either if a birth certificate is ok but I feel safe and secure knowing that they have everything that they need.

We have also been cruising on NCL because of the taxes only on a child under two, that can save a lot of money. Plus my boys LOVE the kids club (you have to be 2 or older for it).

Here's the rundown

NCL - taxes and port fees for Under 2's, no babysitting for Under 2's. But they do have the Under 2 Kid Zoo for the kids to play with their parents

Disney - discounted rate for Under 2's. They have Flounders Nursery and a water play area for non-potty trained tots

Royal Caribbean - pay full 3rd/4th rate for the child, no matter the age. But they have in cabin sitting. And they also have water play areas for kids who are not potty trained on 4 of their ships (will be 5 in Dec when Oasis is launched)

Carnival - pay full 3rd/4th rate for the child. But they have Group Babysitting for Under 2's in Camp Carnival. Certain hours and fees apply. But it's there if they need it.

Oh and MAKE SURE they check with the cruise line to see if they accept kids that are 6 months old. It depends on the itinerary for some cruise lines. If they are doing a Trans Atlantic or something exotic, then the minimum age to cruise MAY be 12 months.

And yes, I would get a passport.

You do need a passport for the baby. Our baby is sailing with us this summer and when we booked a few weeks ago, Carnival was sure to tell us we needed a passport for him. New govt rules that went into effect this January mandate all passengers have a passport. Tell you daughter to price out each cruiseline completely. You can do this with any online agency or even at the cruise websites themselves just pretend like you are booking until you get the price and cancel ot out before you get to the payment info . We usually get a better deal on Carnival even paying the 3rd/4th passenger rate because the 1st/2nd rates are so much lower than other cruise lines. We have been sailing with our DD since she was 7 month old (she's 3 now). It definitely helps to have grandparents along! We are bringing them on both cruises this year, especially now that we have a new baby.

Sorry for the mini-hijack, it's related though...

Several posters mentioned that kids under 2 pay only the taxes and port fees on NCL. Do you know of where I can find that in writing from NCL? We're booked for a May cruise and they're charging me the 3rd guest fee for my son who will be 14 months on the cruise.

Thanks.

I think it's a promotion they have now but from what I've read here you can try and see if your TA can lower you the price considering the promotion they have right now.

I don't believe it is a promotion. We have booked 3 cruises with ncl over 2 years and the baby has always only payed taxes. DD is 18 mo old on our up coming cruise. We booked directly with ncl. Try plugging it into their website pricing and you can confirm it for your sailing or you could give them a call

I don't believe it is a promotion. We have booked 3 cruises with ncl over 2 years and the baby has always only payed taxes. DD is 18 mo old on our up coming cruise. We booked directly with ncl. Try plugging it into their website pricing and you can confirm it for your sailing or you could give them a call

Yeah that. When I plug the prices in for an infant into the NCL site, the prices immediatly drop for the 3rd person.

And we had my oldest on NCL when she was that age. We paid port fees/taxes for her.

I just checked NCL Pearl - May 16, 2009 - sailing to Alaska - the price of a 1 year old is $140. What did they charge you? You need to get it changed if its more.

Sorry for the mini-hijack, it's related though...

Several posters mentioned that kids under 2 pay only the taxes and port fees on NCL. Do you know of where I can find that in writing from NCL? We're booked for a May cruise and they're charging me the 3rd guest fee for my son who will be 14 months on the cruise.

Thanks.

Whom did you book through NCL directly or a TA? someone made a mistake and you need to contact them to fix it. here is what it says on the NCL website.

Do children cruise for free?

Kids under two cruise at a substantially reduced fare and certain itineraries offer specials on 3rd and 4th guests in the same stateroom. Infants under six months of age are not eligible for travel on NCL ships.

It also depends on the type of cabin you'll be assigned. With that third "person," you may be assigned to a cabin priced for extra persons, even though those berths may be pull-down ones that are not suitable for infants. You should also carefully examine the cabin's floorplan to determine whether there's enough floor space to deploy a crib or pack-n-play on the floor (some cruise lines will provide one upon request - but bring your own crib sheets from home if you're concerned about hygiene or allergies). And you'll probably need an extra suitcase to bring all the diapers, medicines, and baby food, since there are none sold aboard the ship.

Archived