Do you bring a laptop cruising with you?

Roadtripster

Everyone I would want to tell goes with me. Thats why we love cruises. No computers, phones. video games, etc. Paradise.

yep. getting away from all that is my purpose. plenty of time when I return home to organize my pics. don't wanna spend precious cruise time on mundane chores like that. In the moment, not on the laptop.

I personally would never take a laptop on a cruise, though I completely understand why others choose to do so.

I'm an IT manager, so I'm pretty much "plugged in" 24 x 7 in my "regular life". On a cruise is the only time all year when I can be completely "off the grid" and truly relaxed. It'd take someone with a firearm to get me into the internet cafe and checking my email!! :D A great deal of the enjoyment I get from a cruise is the fact that I have no email, or cell phone and therefore the real world (work) can't intrude!!!

My DW will probably bring hers, for downloading pictures from the cameras and whatnot, but I'm not touching it while we are onboard!!:cool:

Since we got our laptops, we take them with us. I like downloading the pictures that we take on a daily basis because I will know which ones need to be taken again if possible. I found that some that I took on our last cruise on the ship needed to be taken again and I was able to do it since I knew ahead of time that they didn't come out. I do it late at night when we return to our room for the night. I bought a netbook before our last cruise and took that with us. The case for it is not much bigger than a good size purse. I took it out of the case when we went through security and they told me that wasn't necessary. We have left them on the desk and never had a problem. When we do a land based vacation, I take my regular laptop and we have a little printer that we also take with us. When we go to Branson, we can order show tickets online and print them out ourselves. We did a vacation in Galveston several years ago and I took my photo printer and had most of our pictures printed before we got home. I started using Snapfish and have found that it is cheaper than doing them at home. When we are somewhere where we have free internet service, I upload the pictures to Snapfish and they are ready when we get home.

I personally would never take a laptop on a cruise, though I completely understand why others choose to do so.

I'm an IT manager, so I'm pretty much "plugged in" 24 x 7 in my "regular life". On a cruise is the only time all year when I can be completely "off the grid" and truly relaxed. It'd take someone with a firearm to get me into the internet cafe and checking my email!! :D A great deal of the enjoyment I get from a cruise is the fact that I have no email, or cell phone and therefore the real world (work) can't intrude!!!

My DW will probably bring hers, for downloading pictures from the cameras and whatnot, but I'm not touching it while we are onboard!!:cool:

I worry about these people in the internet room browsing or reading cnn. I could see if you were on a long 14+ day cruise but most cruises if you can't be detached for a week there is a problem/.

yeah, I'm IT also. Surfing the internet? The thrill is long gone.

I'd rather be taking pictures than sorting thru them.

to each his own. maybe some people don't get enuf computer time in their daily lives?

I agree. To each his own. That is what makes us all unique!!

For some people (like me) I enjoy the computer be it online or offline, just as much as the people who bring books with them on a cruise.

I love to research/surf stuff and the internet allows me to explore new things, just like a book lets people escape to a different world.

You will find me in front of a computer before I sit in front of the tv or read a book.

Took my laptop along for the first time on our last cruise(2 weeks ago.....sigh). I will now continue to take it. I would go out on our balcony 1-2 in the morning and email our son. He had the duty of watching the house and taking care of the dog. However the only emails I would open were from my son....the rest of the world was on hold for the week! The other plus was the ability to go online, at my convenience, and check prices on several watches that had caught my eyes.

I have take mine on the last two cruises.

Although I am not in IT, I am plugged in all the time. However, I am very discipline that when I am on vacation, I am on vacation. I do not VPN into my office. I cannot check my office Email because I would have to VPN.

I have two personal email accounts (regular and junk). I will sometimes download the messages for that.

My laptop I usually keep in my luggage in the room. On the last cruise, I left it out on the bed (by accident) and the room assistant moved it to the night table. It was never touched at all.

I like to use to download my photos, view them, and possible begin editing them immediately. Unfortunately, I like doing this on the balcony, and that is definitely not the right to adjust the colors of the pictures.

As to security, I have a travel rollie bag that I can quickly partially unzip the main compartment, pull the laptop out, and throw it in a security bin. It takes less than 30 seconds. No hassle at all. I find taking off my shoes to be more of hassle.

Archived