Ruby Princess anchor

Adventures ahead

We were located midship on the sea princess, and we were awoken one morning with a sound similar to a ship hitting an rock or ice burg. We later learned that this was the anchor being dropped.

Due to the size of it, you can hear it thorughout the ship.

Do you know how many tender ports you have on your cruise, becasue the anchor will only be used then.

We are only tendered in Santorini.

Years ago on a Royal Caribbean ship, I remember someone saying that they woke up each morning to a very loud sound when the ship docked and assumed it was the anchor (I'm blonde, LOL). They booked last minute and had a very forward cabin.

We're in E203 so I was wondering if we'll have this early-morning wake-up call and won't need to program one on our phone. LOL!:D It's the Med cruise so we'll want to get up early anyway.

Thanks for your replies.

Where is the anchor in relation to cabin E203? Will this be a noisy cabin early in the morning?

The closer you are to the bow the closer you will be to the anchor. Realize, however, that the ship only uses its anchor when you have a tender port, not when you dock.

The closest cabins to the anchors are the forward Plaza deck cabins. The Emerald deck cabins are above and a bit aft of the forward deck area, which is forward of the Princess Theater on deck 6. That said, you have to expect ship noises while on a ship. Here's a short video I took when we left Port Everglades on the CB last year. You can hear the vibration of the ship as the thrusters pushed us from the pier. We were in Riviera deck cabin R714. If I had known the noise would show up in that video I would have kept it going for another minute to show how quiet it got when they stopped using the thrusters.

Another thing to watch out for noise wise are the large motor launches used for tendering at tender ports. The extension and lowering mechanisms are rather loud. The noise comes from the floors of certain Dolphin mini-suites and the ceilings of those ocean view (obstructed) cabins below them on the Emerald deck. Just look on the deck plans for the cabins right above the largest motor launches that are used as tenders and avoid those cabins and those right under them unless you are normally an early riser,,,

It's funny how the noise is not quite as loud in the afternoon when the are recovering the tender launches and you're not asleep!

Archived