Coffee Question

I am a picky coffee drinker, and the coffee in the MDR on the Serenade was decent. I did not like the coffee in the Windjammer, as it was luke warm most of the time.

If you really don't like the coffee, you can always get it from the coffee shop on board. It is not that much more expensive than paying for a Starbucks.

I've been on six cruises (all in my sig) and I've found the coffee to be, at best, barely tolerable. But I also grew up on Dunkin' Donuts coffee. If you like, say, Starbucks coffee (which, to me, tastes like something that someone let boil for a day and then added cigarette ashes) then you'll find the ships' coffee fine. I think it's because most (if not all) of the crews are foreign and they like their coffee stronger than Americans.

At least, on the ships with the Royal Promenade coffee shop, you can "cut" the coffee with some hot water and/or switch to bagged tea (there for the taking).

On my first cruise, I brought a small coffeepot, coffee, and creamers. It was too much work and hassle, and the remaining coffee opened up in my suitcase on the way home. Since then, I decided it's simpler to bear the awful coffee for a week.

I am picky about my coffee and after reading all of the negative posts I brought my melita coffee filter and own coffee. After tasting the ship's coffee (room service and main dining room) I decided that it was not bad so I have left the coffee behind on subsequent cruises. It you have a GS or above they have a french press in your suite and you can make your own or go to the Concierge Lounge for coffee, latte, expresso.

Patti

With all these diverse opinions why not bring a French press and your own brew in case RCI's coffee is not up to snuff. Personally I'm picky about coffee too and found their Seattles Best Caribbean blend to be fine. I agree that Princess has to improve their coffee. Its awful though their premium brew you can get is pretty good.

If you are a Starbucks drinker, I think Seattle's Best at Cafe Promenade is probably the place to go. Even so, RCI brews it much weaker than Starbucks.

I'm not sure the Windjammer even serves coffee. It is more, "Coffeesque," a simulated java type beverage. :)

Does anyone know if the JS cabins on the Enchantment have coffee pots in the room?

Don't know for sure but have heard that JS and above staterooms now have a french press for making coffee. I think on all ships. The french press works great. Had one in a RFS last fall and used it each morning. I hope this is true since we usually get a JS.

Coffee taste is so individual! My husband likes strong Starbucks..I find Starbucks to be okay if watered down a little. I can't stand Dunkin Donuts coffee..It has this very odd burned flavor that I dislike. I also don't like sold at our local Books-a-Million. I love Barnies coffee though and my favorite is Steep Brew, which I tasted at my brother's shop in Wisconsin and now have to order online!

Thanks so much about the information regarding the free Seattle's Best! I would never have figured this out. I am also bringing my own little flavored creamer packs.

Just back from a Med cruise with the brilliance.I drink my coffee black and in the beginning of the cruise the coffee tasted like hot water with a flavour of coffee.I think they got many complaints because after a few days the coffee tasted better in the restaurant and in WJ.

I was so happy that i took my own small coffeemachine and coffee.

Just off the Navigator last week, and I thought the coffee was horrible. I am a huge coffee drinker, prefer medium to strong blends, and always enjoy a cup after my wonderful dinner in the dining room. Not this trip. I barely choked down a cup in the morning because I would be ugly and hateful otherwise (no joke), but I tried it the first night and left it untouched. Too bad!

No matter - a cruise is a cruise - you'll have a great time!

P.S. I think Dunkin Donuts is too weak, but also think Starbucks equates burnt beans to strong coffee - yuck.

Archived