Lunch in Key West

rainbow30

Sloppy Joes has great lunch food (its on Duval) Also, my favorite place is off the beatin path.. At the end of Palm On Rt 1... Captain Runaground Harvey's.. its a floating restaurant.. very small and unique but the best conch fritters and key lime pie I had on the island and we had lots on the 4 trips we made to the island..

I'm not a picky eater. My best friend loves to eat. Looking to find someplace that we can talk about later.

Blue Heaven has very good food and you will certainly talk about it later after eating under the tree canopy with cats and chickens underfoot.

http://www.blueheavenkw.com/

Sorry; but Sloppy Joes has terrible food imho and is nothing but a tourist trap.

Mike:)

If you aren't turned off by a high end meal, book the free boat out to Sunset Key and eat lunch out there. Then your return trip on the boat is also free. You ahve to book the boat with the consierge at the Hyatt Hotel. The boat leaves from the docks right in front of the Hyatt Hotel. I think it leaves about every twenty minutes, but you must book it ahead of time.

Unfortuanately, you won't be permitted to walk around Sunset Key. It is a lovely place.

Another vote for Blue Heaven. A close 2nd for me is BOs Fish Wagon. I go to Sloppy's for a drink or for the entertainment, not to eat.

BO's was my favorite! Went there twice for the soft shell crab sandwich and once for a burger in the two and a half days we were there! Funky place for sure!

We tried to eat at Blue Heaven. Was a two hour wait so we put our name on the list and went and did some sightseeing. Came back after about 90 minutes and waited about 30 more for our table so they were right on with the amount of time.

But after sitting down and getting our menus we realized they were still serving breakfast. It was like 12:30pm! Guess they serve breakfast late (on Sundays anyways!)... we had already eaten breakfast so we took off. :( Cool place though...just very very busy!

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I ate at Blue Heaven when we were down in Key West last time. Food was just ok. You are paying for the atmosphere. It was kind of interesting to eat with chickens walking around your table. Remember it is not a four star restaraunt and doesn't pretend to be. It is a tourist attraction and charges like one. We enjoyed our time there but if you think the food is worth the price....probably not in our opinion or those that ate there with us. But we are going back as we are traveling with some who have never been there and will take them to eat at this place.

What did you eat at Blue Heaven that was "just ok"? I've eaten dinner there 4 or 5 times, and I've always thought the food was outstanding. We were staying in Key West last week, and found ourselves there for dinner twice. I'd recommend this place to anyone...

Also, my favorite place is off the beatin path.. At the end of Palm On Rt 1... Captain Runaground Harvey's.. its a floating restaurant.. very small and unique but the best conch fritters and key lime pie I had on the island and we had lots on the 4 trips we made to the island..

Captain Runaground's is now called Thai Life - http://www.thailifekeywest.com/aboutus.html

I was on the Majesty of the Seas last week. While in town we ate at BO's. I had the best cheeseburger I have ever had. If you go, bring cash, they don't accept credit cards.

As for key lime pie; we stopped at the Blond Giraffe on Duval. The frozen key lime pie on a stick was sinfully delicious. I would, however, recommend stopping at a different location. The employee at this particular store was very unfriendly and rude. Maybe she was having a bad day, but why take the chance of ruining your experience of frozen pie on a stick.

If you like crepes go to the Croissants De France at 816 Duval st. This place has been around for 20+ years and serves outstanding crepes in a very nice outdoor settings.

• 3 weeks later...

The back of the Westin Hotel facing the water has a great waterfront bar and restaurant.

You can see the ships, people watch, and enjoy great food and service.

And if you get "hung up" there and have too much fun you are right by your ship.

Jimmy the bartender has been the Westin Hotel employee of the year for the last TEN years.

Tell him Bob and Linda from Florida said Hi and he'll know you know someone and treat you like a local.

We will be there off the Enchantment on the tenth.

The back of the Westin Hotel facing the water has a great waterfront bar and restaurant.

You can see the ships, people watch, and enjoy great food and service.

And if you get "hung up" there and have too much fun you are right by your ship.

Jimmy the bartender has been the Westin Hotel employee of the year for the last TEN years.

Tell him Bob and Linda from Florida said Hi and he'll know you know someone and treat you like a local.

We will be there off the Enchantment on the tenth.

Bistro 245. A great place for brunch...eggs Benedict on a small, grilled fish.

Pjk

Archived