Do you repeat outfits?

NeedaVac

I'm leaving next week for our cruise. I REALLY don't want to overpack or bring a lot of stuff that I'll only wear once. Do a lot of you repeat outfits?:confused: I'm specifically speaking about outfits for dinner.

Maybe not the SAME outfit. I've worn capris twice with different blouses and the same blouse with other capris or shorts. Just mix and match.

I find myself doing this even when I've waaaaaaay overpacked. Just seems silly to me to only wear something for a short while and then ditch it. So this time, I'm going to keep to this way and leave the rest of the stuff at home.

Most definitely.

I will wear the same thing lets say on Monday and the again on Friday night. Most people won't remember after 4 days anyway. But, mix and match is a must.

I tend to only pack dresses for dinner as they are only one piece instead of 2 pieces - a top and pants. So they really don't take up much room.

I am a carry on bag traveler, so you know my space is limited.

Mix and match is a must. After 3 cruises I'm still learning how to cut down on the packing. I find that many things I only wear for such a short period of time, it can be hung back in the closet and worn at a different time later in the cruise. Most people will not remember what you have already worn - I don't watch other people that close. And if you have anytime dining you probably won't dine twice with the same people anyway.

but even tho I have a lot of colored long skirts and slacks..something black always goes with me...I especially love my carwash pants..in Black, Brown, and cream..lots of silky camis, and strappy tops. I do change out seasonally..more light colores in spring/summer, dark in winter. I'm mad over my 12 Spenser Alexis tops. But tend to wear jackets of silk and tapestry in winter months. guess I'm the fashion "poster child"..I jess lovit alllllll

Yes, absolutely. Both my husband and I will wear the same clothes the first and last nights dinners. We'll also wear the same clothes for embarkation/disembarkation. That cuts out 4 complete outfits right there.

We'll both wear slacks more than once, with different tops/shirts. Anywhere we can cut back on packing and still look good works well for us.

Think about it! Do you wear something only once or twice at home and then never again? I sure don't. And my husband and friends see me all the time. On a cruise ship, with 2000 or more other people running around, nobody would care, even if they remembered what every woman wore! I dress for my husband and as far as other passengers are concerned, we'll probably never see the same people twice anyway.

I definitiy repeat pants, capris, jeans & a lot of daytime clothing. Like others have said, I wear these for such a short time before Im changing into a bathing suit or changing for a nap or dinner, etc.

I typically don't repeat the tops I wear to dinner & part of the reason is so that I'm not wearing the same outfit in every picture we take!

I pack mix and match (3 solid color slacks/capris) and multiple tops. For "Formal" you can bring one black dress and change it upwith a different wrap and jewelry. Travelers (or similar) knits are a good choice for non-formal nights. Thay dress up or down with accessories too.

I guess I am an odd one, but I try not to repeat outfits on a cruise. I love planning my outfits - and don't mind overpacking for cruises! They only outfits I repeat, as a rule, are my swimsuits/coverups. Other than that I pack a Day outfit and a Night outfit for each day - and really complicate things on Formal night when I pack an extra - post dressy dress - outfit for hanging out late on the ship. :p

I repeat dressy (brown and black) capris at dinner and shorts/capris in the daytime and in port. I bring multiple tank tops for day and dressier tops for evening. Like the above poster mentioned, I don't want to be wearing the same top in all my pictures. :) Also, sometimes, you are only in a top/outfit for an hour or two, so of course I will wear it again. I bring two dresses: one for each formal night. If you plan your outfits carefully, you shouldn't overpack. :) (Although, easier said than done. I have to "plan" for a 13 night cruise soon, which I have not done)

Good luck! :)

I'm leaving next week for our cruise. I REALLY don't want to overpack or bring a lot of stuff that I'll only wear once. Do a lot of you repeat outfits?:confused: I'm specifically speaking about outfits for dinner.

I mix and match and plan to get 2 days out of everything except underwear.

Everything goes in a 22" roll on board....no matter where I'm going or for how long.....it's imperative that I plan on getting more than one wear out of most items.

If the OP had asked this question before "freestyle" type dining I would have said absolutely never the same thing twice. However, now I mix/match as much as possible as very seldom do you see the same people and even if you did - who would be so crass as to comment? We don't take pix so no worries there either. For me it's become all about comfort and packing light - keeping it simple.

I absolutely repeat. After 8 cruises, we discovered that even among ourselves, we didn't remember what we had worn more than 2 nights previously..and after all, who are we impressing?? ...the waiter?? Someone we saw in a bar, but didn't even speak to? Airline restrictions have also changed the way we pack. We mix and match. I found that I overpacked and while I had other clothes to wear, I had "favorite" capris or shorts or tops, that I would prefer and would repeat, therefore bringing the others back home unworn. Besides, if I get my favorite dirty, the ships laundry is quick with reasonable costs and my favorite is crisp, clean and ready to re-wear. Love the convenience of light packing and never thought I could live with it!!

I don't repeat an entire outfit, but I will often repeat pieces of an outfit. For example, I will pack a pair of black slacks. I can wear them several nights with different shirts. You can do the same with shorts, slacks, skirts, and capris. This is my strategy. I pack a limited amount of pants that go with everything, and then pack several lightweight tops to go with the pants.

Most definitely.

I will wear the same thing lets say on Monday and the again on Friday night. Most people won't remember after 4 days anyway. But, mix and match is a must.

I tend to only pack dresses for dinner as they are only one piece instead of 2 pieces - a top and pants. So they really don't take up much room.

I am a carry on bag traveler, so you know my space is limited.

This is me. At first I packed a different outfit for day, than another one for evening. Now its why bother. Less to carry.

I am with most of these posters. I pack 2 or 3 pairs of slacks, depending on the length of the cruise, and multiple tops for each. I usually wear a different top every night, but our next cruise is for 12 nights and I will wear the tops more than once.

For DH, who is fashion challenged, he has 3 pairs of docker types and multiple tops. He will often wear the shirt he wore at night during the next day.

I always send stuff out to the laundry too. That way I can wear my favorites more often.

Just a quick question for those of you who say you only take a carry on bag and no checked luggage - how do you get around the 311 rules? (one ziploc, three 1-oz bottles, etc.)

When I think of all the liquid stuff I need to take - aloe, sunscreen, hair mousse, hair spray, lotion, and the list goes on . . . - I don't see how I could do it!

For dinners I mostly mix-and-match different tops with a pair of capris or my black skirt that I also wear for one elegant night with a lace top. During the day I recycle a couple of the casual dinner tops with skorts or shorts.

I can't see taking my whole closet on a cruise, because I can stay home for that.

I also did the 3-1-1 carry-on rule on the last trip, just to see if I could and had no problem. I took trial size bottles, and put sunscreen into 3 small bottles. I take gel instead of mousse and hairspray, and I made myself pick one lip gloss, one lipstick and one chapstick with sunscreen.

Here's what I took last cruise.

packingplan001.jpg

I overpacked for Europe last May, but this last trip was lighter since it was the southern Caribbean.

Both cruises I never worn anything twice except for swimsuits and a favorite pair of shorts.

I don't care about airline weight limits, and we have no trouble getting around with our luggage, so I simply pack what I want.

I do not pack soda, wine, coolers, games, snorkle equipment, etc, so there is always more than enough room in my big suitcase.

If I forget something, I just buy it in port or on the ship or do without.

Archived