Changing Cabin Due to Noise

Chelly

You don't have to move - you can be pro-active. On the Regal Princess there was a hydraulic noise in the wall. It came at night and would wake us up. Complained to the front desk and they did'nt do much. Then I went down and asked the front desk for a screw driver and a pair of plyers. They said "what do you want that for" I said I could take the panel off the wall and that I could fix it. They looked at me in horror and said "please don't do that sir, we will look into it" --- guess what -- the nose stopped at night any would occassionally happen during the day. They were transferring fluids in hydraulic lines and found a better time of day to do it.

Brilliant. I'll be asking for a hammer as well if ever necessary :)

For some reason the Vista Class (Oosterdam) ships on HAL have their late night Disco/Night Club) called the Northern Lights right in the middle of this on deck 2. This is right above cabins on Deck one and below cabins on deck 4. The noise in our deck 4 cabin was so loud (due to amplified music) that we were kept up until 1:30AM. Fortunately they agreed and moved us.

We are sailing on the Eurodam this summer and we have booked the lowest main deck aft cabin . We don't know what to expect regarding noise, but some threads suggest the lower the less noise. I would expect a small amount of noise but I would also expect that a good company like Holland America would be helpful if we had any complaints. We sailed on Century a few years ago and had cabin noise, they were very helpful and moved us the next day. I would expect a well regarded company such as Holland America to do the same.

I'd like to hear from HAL cruisers who have changed cabins due to noise from above, below, or next door. Has anyone asked to change cabins and been refused?

Never had an issue on HAL, but on the Celebrity Horizon in '99, we were pretty far aft and low. The vibration (must have been a VERY unbalanced or cracked propeller??) made the bed shake so severely, we had to be moved. Went up about 3 decks and a little forward and we were ok. There was a group of New York City firemen on board, several near our cabin, who couldn't be moved and they were very unhappy!!:mad:

Archived