St Maartin's Ships or Octupus Discover Scuba

theump

Blood Pressure check and rest of physical and got the clearance from my doctor for diving today. Now to decide who to do the Discovery Dive with.

1) The Ship, Know it goes out at 1 pm and is associated with RCCL. Do not know how good equipment is, who they use, type of dives but do know they pick up[ and drop off at ship so a 3 + hour tour starting at 1 should be back in time. But also heard that with the number of people if one has a problem they bring all up.

Octopus Dives I have been in touch with and the use Cerole Reek and Turttle Reef and what I read and seen of the site and the dive organization it looks good. Down side to them might be the deapth of the waiter (if that should be consider), they are located in Grand Case, do no supply transporation to or from, class is around 1 - 4 or so. Cost for dives are pretty close to same if only doing one dive, someone hear cruise did 2 divesa sometimes at no extra cost. Plus Taxi cost of add $30 (not sure one way or round trip) and if I get done around 4 to 4:15 could there be a problem getting back.

The

Ump:cool:

:eek:

Blood Pressure check and rest of physical and got the clearance from my doctor for diving today. Now to decide who to do the Discovery Dive with.

1) The Ship, Know it goes out at 1 pm and is associated with RCCL. Do not know how good equipment is, who they use, type of dives but do know they pick up[ and drop off at ship so a 3 + hour tour starting at 1 should be back in time. But also heard that with the number of people if one has a problem they bring all up.

Octopus Dives I have been in touch with and the use Cerole Reek and Turttle Reef and what I read and seen of the site and the dive organization it looks good. Down side to them might be the deapth of the waiter (if that should be consider), they are located in Grand Case, do no supply transporation to or from, class is around 1 - 4 or so. Cost for dives are pretty close to same if only doing one dive, someone hear cruise did 2 divesa sometimes at no extra cost. Plus Taxi cost of add $30 (not sure one way or round trip) and if I get done around 4 to 4:15 could there be a problem getting back.

Would the Octopus dive in Grand Case worth the extra? Havew been in contack with them and they have been very nice and straight forward. Ships Discover Scuba is a mystery.

The Ump

john

Celebrity and HAL used to use Dive Safaris in downtown Phillipsburg for their shore excursions---easy water taxi ride from the ship.I have dived with them twice and they run a decent operation.They are right at the edge of the downtown shopping distance so you would have plenty of options after your diving.

Not sure where they go for Discover Scuba--might be a sheltered cove.Open Water dives are out in the ocean from the harbor and the conditions were pretty rough the last two times I was there--definitely needed the transderm patch--we almost had a mutiny when I insisted on my second dive due to most everyone being seasick!!!

Yes, depth definitely matters !!! Most Discover Scuba programs only allow 20-25 maximaum depth for your safety----you can suffer an AGE in 10-15 feet of water if you panic and rush to the surface.Pay very close attention to your Instructor and you will do great----almost guarantee you will sign up for full certification.Hope this helps and enjoy your cruise.

Celebrity and HAL used to use Dive Safaris in downtown Phillipsburg for their shore excursions---easy water taxi ride from the ship.I have dived with them twice and they run a decent operation.They are right at the edge of the downtown shopping distance so you would have plenty of options after your diving.

I'm just back from a crusie on Celebrity Solstice with a stop in St Maarten. The ship uses Scuba Fun http://www.scubafun.com/ Their web site shows they do a Discover Scuba course. I did a 2 tank morning dive with them (booked privately) and was impressed. About 15 divers on the boat, divided into 3 groups with a DM each group. I would dive with them again.

Not sure where they go for Discover Scuba--might be a sheltered cove.Open Water dives are out in the ocean from the harbor and the conditions were pretty rough the last two times I was there--definitely needed the transderm patch--we almost had a mutiny when I insisted on my second dive due to most everyone being seasick!!!

Yes, depth definitely matters !!! Most Discover Scuba programs only allow 20-25 maximaum depth for your safety----you can suffer an AGE in 10-15 feet of water if you panic and rush to the surface.Pay very close attention to your Instructor and you will do great----almost guarantee you will sign up for full certification.Hope this helps and enjoy your cruise.

We were with Princess in 1/08 and they too used Dive Safariis - second here for them. We had a great experience with them (DH wasn't certifies at the time so we did a Discover tour so we could be together).

Archived