Verizon Service - Hilo

beachnut41955

For anyone who might know....will I have Verizon cell service from the ship while we are anchored at Hilo???? Late afternoon before we sail I need to be able to talk to a friend who is having a very important event and was not sure if I would be able to get reception from the ship. I know someone here might know. I will be on the March 28 sailing of the POA. Leaving for Hawaii on Tuesday (24th) so would like anyone who might have the answer to please post your experience.

Thank you for your help.

Yes. We have Verizon and have not had any trouble in most areas throughout the islands, especially in and near cities. Hilo will be fine--but don't call from the middle of the ship because all that metal can decrease the signal significantly. Best to call from, oh let's say, one of the outdoor decks while relaxing on a lounge and sipping a tropical beverage.:D

beachchick

On the island cruises with NCLA or specificallly, the POA, I don't believe there are any ship's towers. The only signals you will get are from the towers on land. The ship spends most of its time in ports, so this should not be much of a problem.

In Hilo, most of the major cell phone carriers will work fine. There are areas on the Big Island where you cannot get a signal (like my house :D) but these are in the more remote areas. And, if you drive a bit in another direction, a signal will pop in.

We justt got back from POA last Sunday and use Verizon. We had good reception pretty much every where. But as beachchick said, in the interior of the ship we had trouble. This didn't surprise me as I get NO signal in the building where I work either. Dh and I would just make our way to the deck area. We had an interior cabin, so if you have a balcony, you should be fine.

For anyone who might know....will I have Verizon cell service from the ship while we are anchored at Hilo???? Late afternoon before we sail I need to be able to talk to a friend who is having a very important event and was not sure if I would be able to get reception from the ship. I know someone here might know. I will be on the March 28 sailing of the POA. Leaving for Hawaii on Tuesday (24th) so would like anyone who might have the answer to please post your experience.

Thank you for your help.

We had NO problem. In fact pulling out of ports I could still be on the internet on our Verizon data card. For a bit anyhow. Would wake up the next morning. Take the phone and laptop out to the balcony and was online or on the phone before most people wer up. LOL It was great.

Again, we had no problem at all in any of the ports.

Archived