Machu Picchu information

woodley

Finally booked the hotel in Cusco, we ended up at Casa Andina private collection for three nights and one night at the Sanctuary.

I hope I have made the right decision, I know it is expensive but it is my husbands birthday so i thought it would make it special.

Greatam -can you give me the name of a decent hotel in Lima, we have an early morning flight on 11/28 (5.30am)so would need to be fairly close to the airport. Our flight from Cusco arrive at 10.30am on 11/27 so we would have all day in lima. I saw one you had reccomended on another post but could not find it again.

You will be fine. I personally prefer the suite room at the Sonesta Posada on the Square (Plaza de Armas), but your choice was good. I am so glad you were able to book the Sanctuary WITHOUT the Monasterio. Orient Express has just gotten too "big for their britches"-controlling the hotels AND the train.

Since you are staying at Casa Andina, look into the Casa Andina hotels in Miraflores (Lima). There are often discounts if you book more than one hotel on the same trip. While the Park and the Marriott are very decent hotels and they do overlook the ocean, I personally prefer San Antonio Abad. Old mansion made into a hotel. http://www.hotelsanantonioabad.com/index.php

I have ONLY stayed in the first floor room with the little patio. IF that room is booked, I have not stayed there, as there is no elevator and all except one other room are upstairs. I LOVE the service. Breakfast (full breakfast including made to order eggs and meat), beer any time you want it ($2.00 per bottle), and one way transport from the airport INCLUDED in the hotel price. It is $25.00 per trip to return to the airport. I love this little hotel. While not fancy, it feels like home. I have always had the best service. There are twin beds in the first floor room I like so well. Large, newly redone shower/bathroom. LOTS of wood. VERY Peruvian. And the restaurant around the corner has great food. Ask for Luis at the hotel. He will attend to all your needs. Enjoy!!!

We tried for the Sonesta first but it was fully booked fo the dates we had.

Thank you so much for the information you provided us. In the end we decided to stay at the hotel at the airport in Lima because our flight was at 5am meaning we would have to be there at 3am, if we stayed further away we would have had to get up so early it would not have been worth having a hotel at all.

We are hoping we can book some kind of tour from there for during the day in Lima.

Once again thank you for your valid information. liz

Thanks for all the information generated on this thread regarding Machu Picchu. We'll be visiting there next February on our way to BA. Hope everyone has a great trip.

Greatam, we 've made our flights arrangements, as I mentioned on the other thread. Last week I emailed the San Antonio Abad hotel, but haven't had a reply as yet. I'll wait until the end of the week, and if I still haven't had a reply, I'll try again. Just wondering if communication has ever been a problem with them as far as you know?

Thanks,

Mary

AS was mentioned in a previous post, you will not want to do anything the day you arrive in Cusco due to the altitude - 11,000ft +/-. Instead of spending the night in Cusco why not consider taking a taxi or private tour to Ollantaytambo as soon as you touch down in Cusco. Ollantaytambo is a lovely low key town, significantly lower in elevation, you will sleep MUCH better and you will have a short train ride from there to Aguas & on to MP the following morning. Along the way, you can arrange to see Pisac and other Sacred Valley sights. Why waste the afternoon doing nothing when your time is limited? After you have spent a couple of days in Sacred Valley & MP, you will be much more acclimated and comfortable for the altitude of Cusco and can take in the sights there with a lot more energy upon your return. As well, the cost of a taxi/tour back from Olly to Cusco is not that expensive and will save you some time & hassle versus the train. Just one person's opinion.

Thanks for all the information generated on this thread regarding Machu Picchu. We'll be visiting there next February on our way to BA. Hope everyone has a great trip.

Greatam, we 've made our flights arrangements, as I mentioned on the other thread. Last week I emailed the San Antonio Abad hotel, but haven't had a reply as yet. I'll wait until the end of the week, and if I still haven't had a reply, I'll try again. Just wondering if communication has ever been a problem with them as far as you know?

Thanks,

Mary

Never had a problem, but I will email Luis and let him know that someone in the office is NOT responding to their emails. I hesitate to give out his personal email, but will do what I can.

AS was mentioned in a previous post, you will not want to do anything the day you arrive in Cusco due to the altitude - 11,000ft +/-. Instead of spending the night in Cusco why not consider taking a taxi or private tour to Ollantaytambo as soon as you touch down in Cusco. Ollantaytambo is a lovely low key town, significantly lower in elevation, you will sleep MUCH better and you will have a short train ride from there to Aguas & on to MP the following morning. Along the way, you can arrange to see Pisac and other Sacred Valley sights. Why waste the afternoon doing nothing when your time is limited? After you have spent a couple of days in Sacred Valley & MP, you will be much more acclimated and comfortable for the altitude of Cusco and can take in the sights there with a lot more energy upon your return. As well, the cost of a taxi/tour back from Olly to Cusco is not that expensive and will save you some time & hassle versus the train. Just one person's opinion.

While going directly to the Sacred Valley (Ollay, Urubamba or even Pisac) reduces the chance of AMS, IMHO, you MISS a lot. You miss the fantastic train ride (even though this year it will depart from Poroy) through the rivers and valleys. You miss the stop on top of the hill via either car or train where they sell all the sweaters and giant ears of corn. You MISS the little kids that are so poor-Mom's dress their kids up in typical Peruvian costumes just so you can take pictures from the train window. OK, call me a sucker.

And even going to sea level in Lima to 8500' is a LOT on most people's bodies. Yes, lower than Cusco by about 2500 feet. But STILL very high.

I always recommend taking the LATE night flight from Santiago, just hanging out at the Lima airport and taking the EARLY flight into Cusco. By the time your luggage shows up and your hotel provided car shows up and drives you to your hotel, it will usually be about 9:00. PERFECT time to go to sleep for 6-8 hours. Acclimate, get up and go eat a nice easy meal. Back to bed and ready to go the next morning. Has worked for me for almost 8 years I have been going to Cusco.

Good advice.

We just returned from a Trafalgar tour in Peru in March. We stayed at the Casa Andina Private Collection in Miraflores which was quite nice. It seems most of the tourist hotels are in Miraflores which is south of the city centre, while the airport is in Callao(sp?) on the north sde. Traffic in Lima is brutal, I couldn't believe our taxi made it to the hotel with both wing mirrors intact!:eek:

We stayed in the Casa Ansina hotel in Urubamba not far from Ollantaytambo. Our guide explained he felt that the tour operator was wise in trying to get us to the lower elevation in order to better aclimatize to the thinner air. Fortunately Machu Picchu is even lower than this at around 6500'. Our guide also suggested avoiding alcohol on the first day at elevation.

We stayed at the Sumaq hotel in Agua Calientes (Machu Picchu Village if you like) and it was great, the food was excellent. Fortunately the cost was buried in the total tour cost but if you check their website, it sure is expensive.

You may wish to pack a lunch as the buffet at MP was US$32 for mediocre fare. Also rain wear. We had unseasonably warm temperatures in the high 70's and sun in the morning, then it rained for two plus hours around noon and then cleared up again.

There is a great deal of climbing at MP and I took a very stout walking stick (well technically a camera monopod) and that helped me quite a bit as arthritis in my knees had recently become an issue.

We could have done with out the Pisac Market, but Ollantaytambo was very worthwhile. We also stopped at a baby alpaca sweater factory on our way through Cusco and they explained to us how to tell the difference between the real thing and the imposters. We paid US$220 for two sweaters and two scarves. Significant discounts for cash!

The train rides are long because the trains don't go that fast. I was glad we boarded at Ollantaytambo station, which got us into Agua Calientes pretty early and to MP around 10AM. The return trip to Poroy was very long.

And drink the coca tea.

Bodger

Archived