Brugge on Ascension Day Question

I'm doing a Baltic cruise which departs from Amsterdam on May 21st, Ascension Day. We were going to spend a couple of days directly before the cruise in Brugge. We are concerned that the 20th, the day before Ascension day, will be crazy in Brugge because of the Procession of the Holy Blood. We'll have to leave for Amsterdam before the Parade of the Holy Blood, so it isn't really worth it to stick around the night of the 20th if the crowds will be very bad. We could spend the night of the 20th in Brussels or even Amsterdam if we need to. We know the hotel rates go up quite a bit for the night of the 20th, so at least the hotels seem to be expecting the crowds to be there. Has anyone been in Brugge on Ascension Day? Is the city very crowded the day/night before?

I'm doing a Baltic cruise which departs from Amsterdam on May 21st, Ascension Day. We were going to spend a couple of days directly before the cruise in Brugge. We are concerned that the 20th, the day before Ascension day, will be crazy in Brugge because of the Procession of the Holy Blood. We'll have to leave for Amsterdam before the Parade of the Holy Blood, so it isn't really worth it to stick around the night of the 20th if the crowds will be very bad. We could spend the night of the 20th in Brussels or even Amsterdam if we need to. We know the hotel rates go up quite a bit for the night of the 20th, so at least the hotels seem to be expecting the crowds to be there. Has anyone been in Brugge on Ascension Day? Is the city very crowded the day/night before?

I had been considering visiting Brugge at this time too, quite accidentally. My caution is that public transport appears to be disrupted on the 21 May.

Hi, the historic centre of Brugges is very compact, with narrow cobbled streets. Many of the hotels are in this area, and vehicular access to the hotels can be slow, even without such a complication. Assuming you'll have luggage, I'd be inclined to avoid city centre hotels, or at least stick to those near the rail station where exiting the centre & onto the freeway system is much easier.

Or mebbe book a hotel in Ostend, a delightful seaside town though it doesn't have the history/architecture of Brugges, and use the excellent cheap & frequent rail service for the short journey to spend a day in Brugges. .............John Bull

Archived