Transportation from Orlando airport to Cape Canaveral in a wheelchair

dianesp12

In September myself and my 2 daughters going on The Freedom of the Sea. One of my daughters is in a power wheelchair, and we will need to get from the airport in Orlando to Cape Canaveral. Does anyone know a shuttle or if RCI have shuttles and how much it would cost?

In September myself and my 2 daughters going on The Freedom of the Sea. One of my daughters is in a power wheelchair, and we will need to get from the airport in Orlando to Cape Canaveral. Does anyone know a shuttle or if RCI have shuttles and how much it would cost?

First of all you want to go to PORT Canaveral not Cape Canaveral, which is where the Space center is. LOL

Royal Caribbean does have shuttles and you need to arrange accessible shuttle with the RCL special services division. I assume you have a HC cabin already booked with them. I am not sure what the cost would be but it would be the same cost as their regular shuttle, no additional cost.

I believe you could also arrange with Mears or one of those companies for accessible shuttle as well.

I personally would not use RCI's shuttle. My DH & i were stuck at the airport the last time we used their service. They kept calling for the accessible bus & were told it was coming but it never did. Finally when the cruise employees were ready to leave the airport they got one for us & we rode back to the port with them. Ended up having a flat tire on the bus which made the bus a little lopsided. Therefore the wheelchair lift door would not function. DH was stuck on the bus!!!!!! They ended up calling the captain of the ship to have him hold off on sailing until we could get on!!!! It was a total nightmare!!! I believe you would be better off just going to the taxi stand & asking for a w/c equipped van. they usually can get you one quickly!

• 4 weeks later...

Mears offers a shuttle to the port. You would most likely be the only ones on and they are great with the service they provide. They also run the taxis in the Orlando area but they would be more expensive then the shuttle.

• 1 month later...
Call CareVacations... 877-478-7827.

They have a new accessible transportation program in the Central Florida area which would be a perfect fit for your needs.

Do you by chance work for CareVacations? :rolleyes:

I just want to add that the cruise lines don't own their own accessible transportation. They contract it out just like everyone else. so everyone is using the same accessible suppliers, and on cruise arrival and departure days, those resources are stretched very thin. Just make sure and give yourself plenty of time. If in doubt, some in a day early so you won't (literally) miss the boat.

Candy

Archived