What are you going to do in Belize?

staylor

I have done both Goff's Caye and Coral Sands Beach Resort. The latter I just did on my own in October. With small children I would not recommend Coral Sands since the water drops off rapidly and the sand is coarse. Goff's Caye is a great option from the ship and you can snorkle from the island. Good option for children and much nicer sand.

Joan

Sail on

Is there any whitewater or is it a calm float. We kayak in the Gauley and New Rivers here in West Virginia. Are the sites pretty cool?

The cave tubing is a very calm , serene and very interesting excursion. Extreme Tours was totaly professional and reasonable.

STAYLOR: If you do not already know, Belize is not much of a city. Any excursion should involve some type of eco trip. Stay away from the city, the shopping is not that good. Check out the different Cays, the snorkeling is awesome, the scuba diving is even better.

I have been to both Goff's Caye and to Coral Sands Beach Resort. If traveling with small children, I would not recommend the Beach Resort. The water drops off very rapidly. And yes the sand is rather coarse. It is much softer on Goff's Caye and snorkeling is much easier there and can be done from the shore. Coral Sands Beach Resort offers a day a beach for those who do not want to go to the zoo or go to ruins or have done some of the other excursions in Belize. This place will soon be an excursion offered by Carnival. Any questions feel free to ask.

Sail on...........

Joan

We did Coral Breeze's Shark Ray Alley snorkel excursion with our 3 kids (6, 10, 13) and had a great time, even if there wasn't as much time in the water as I'd expected. We didn't do the lunch but walked around Caye Caulker a bit. We heard mixed reviews of the lunch, so we were glad we saved the money and got to beachcomb instead. Our youngest would not have eaten it, and knowing this, we packed her a pb sandwich along with drinks for all of us.

I did the Coral Breeze Shark Ray Alley excursion in Nov. 2003 with 5 friends and we had a fabulous time. We had lunch at the Rainbow Restaurant on Caye Caulker and it was delicious. (Our lunch was included- never had an option not to include it, but it was great) Also had the best, freshest margarita I've ever tasted.

The crew was very friendly and helpful. We had a guide in the water snorkeling with us, pointing our things, etc.

Relaxing after lunch in the sun on Caye Caulker was heavenly.

I have no hesitation in recommending Coral Breeze.

:)

We have used Coral Breezes , and they are wonderful. We went to Caye Cauker, had lunch there, and swam with nurse sharks and stingrays. They give you a lot of local information, and have added other tours since we were there. They know how to keep you safe, and informed. Also they brought us back to the ship and we didn't have to come back on Carnival's tender. Check them out on the net...

The pharmacy in town is always a good stop when in Belize...many things available w/o Rx and at good prices.

We did the tour with Coral Breeze last winter and were very disappointed. We complained and did get a 50% rebate from the owner.

When we return to belize in June '05, we will choose another tour operator.

Regarding shopping in Belize, the only recommended shopping is at the Belize Tourism Village at the pier. There are quite a lot of shops or shopping stalls at the pier. I have not heard of any large shopping areas in Belize City proper. Shopping on your own in Belize City is not recommended.

Guest Time2gocruzn
djklove,

If you really want to snorkel then how about doing Goff's Caye from the ship? In my family I snorkel but my wife and 5 year old will just go to the island and play on the sand and shallow water while I snorkel. And there's no hassles about waiting for the tender or about getting back on time or if you will get to snorkel.

I thought I read somewhere that the ride to Goffs Caye is even FARTHER than the ride to Caye Caulker, and after you get there, there isn't much there. Is this wrong? I was just trying to avoid spending a LONG time on a boat to get to wherever we decide to go. Any more info on this is appreciated.

The pharmacy in town is always a good stop when in Belize...many things available w/o Rx and at good prices.

We did the tour with Coral Breeze last winter and were very disappointed. We complained and did get a 50% rebate from the owner.

When we return to belize in June '05, we will choose another tour operator.

WEDOFISH... what made you guys disappointed? We have this booked next week!

We did the snorkel trip to Goff's Caye and loved it. The boat trip there is fun and not that long a ride. You have plenty of time in the water and then lots of time on the tiny island. You can continue snorkeling from the island if you would like to. Remember to take a little cash for purchases on the island. When we were there, they were grilling fresh lobster that was to die for!!! I believe it was $10 for a whole lobster. The smell alone was worth the trip.

Guest Time2gocruzn
We did the snorkel trip to Goff's Caye and loved it. The boat trip there is fun and not that long a ride. You have plenty of time in the water and then lots of time on the tiny island. You can continue snorkeling from the island if you would like to. Remember to take a little cash for purchases on the island. When we were there, they were grilling fresh lobster that was to die for!!! I believe it was $10 for a whole lobster. The smell alone was worth the trip.

Pungo or anyone else who may know...I guess I am picturing this as a TINY island. Is there plenty of shade? Are there bathrooms/showers? Is their lots of shops, or just a few? How long would you say the boat ride was? Was the boat covered? Is their time to do this excursion and still go the the national handy craft center? My parents (in their 60's) are going as well as my 2 yo and 4 yo. Do you think this is a good excursion for all ages? I am driving myself crazy trying to decide what to do here, lol. Thank you. :) :)

for all of us blood donors....if you go OUTSIDE of Belize city you will be deffered from donating blood. its considered a malaria zone and they will not take your blood if you have been to the countryside.

We did Geoff's Caye with three little ones (1,6,10yo at the time), and loved it. Very gentle surf and sandy beaches for the littlest one, and great snorkeling right from the shore. We chose to snorkel right from shore, but you can also take the boat out a little further, too.

One of my most memorable underwater encounters occured here - snorkeled within ten feet of a 6-foot long great baraccuda.

The beer and soda at the little hut were cold and reasonably priced, but I'm not sure I'd try the burgers:eek: ......

I can't wait to see the Mayan Ruins in Belize. A close second would be the zoo- I imagine it will be more primative than here in the States but I've also heard it has a wonderful collection and it shouldn't be too hot in January- I hope.

Sensation Feb 2002

Conquest Feb 2003

Elation Sept 2003

Destiny May 2004

Elation Jan 2005!!

Last January we went to Belize and found a local with a horse and buggy and took his tour of the city. He stopped at a local store and we got some beers then on with the tour. After the tour we went to a bar called the Wet Lizard. Friendly service and good cold local beer. I personally liked the Lighthouse ale.

When you get off the tender, with your back to the water, look to your left and up a little. That green balcony is the Wet Lizard.

Originally Posted by rsjc

stay on the ship.....

Why do you say that???

This is my personal feeling only… I have been there before on a cruise and yes they do have fun shore excursions. But I will be there again on the Grand Princess in March and we have four port days. I will treat that day as a way to enjoy the pools because a large percentage of people will be heading of the ship. I personally enjoy sea days and really don’t care too much about the ports. I will get off in Grand Cayman, Cozumel, and Costa Maya. Belize was a real hassle when we went there on the Pride. Very Long tender rides. We could barely see the land from where we anchored. I would say if you could get a shore excursion that picks up at the ship you will be a lot better off. Unless you want to go into the town (not to much there) That’s just what I’m going to do in March….

What ever you decide to do, I’m sure you will enjoy you cruise……..

We also did Coral Breeze when in Belize last April. We recommend it highly.

It was a blast. The snorkeling was great and the boat ride to Caye Caulker was beautiful. We had a good lunch with the price of the excursion. We recommend it. Get off the ship and have fun!

Teena and Tim:o

We also did Goffs Caye. Let me be totally honest. The boats used to get there are varied. Ours was open with no sun protection. Ours was very crowded and there was a constant up and down banging into the side of the boat. Our backs did not feel that great from the ride. I actually grabbed a life preserver and put it between my back and the side of the boat. We were packed in like sardines. They must use any boat that is available because no two were alike. It is a rather long ride to a small piece of land in the middle of nowhere. There is a small hut ( if you could call it that)where they sell drinks and barbecue. I don't think I would eat there. They haul the food there everyday and cook it. There are no bathroom facilities just a small old wooden dock. Believe me this is not a typical island, it is a small piece of land with not much sun protection. Yes we did snorkel. We chose to be let off at Goffs Caye while the others went out deep. I would suggest that you bring bottled water sunscreen, and your own food if you must. Though we did enjoy the snorkeling ( average) I do not believe we would take this excursion again. Its a long ride there and back. The tour guides were great and told us about Belize etc. Just too much time wasted getting to a rather small piece of land. We also went into town to the little shopping area. Did not take long to shop. I think I may stay on the ship this time around.

Archived