BAD Virus After Liberty 3/7/09 Sailing

CynamonKis

My husband and I were just on the Liberty and upon returning both of us were EXTREMELY ill with a nasty virus that kept us both out of commission for nearly a week. We are very particular about washing our hands, so we're left wondering how we picked this up, and whether anyone else besides us got sick after this sailing!

My husband and I were just on the Liberty and upon returning both of us were EXTREMELY ill with a nasty virus that kept us both out of commission for nearly a week. We are very particular about washing our hands, so we're left wondering how we picked this up, and whether anyone else besides us got sick after this sailing!

NorVirus is not uncommon on ships it seems. If you are around people who are sick, you are at risk of catching what they have and Norvirus is not only confined to cruise ships.

Sorry to hear that you unfortunately caught the """bug"""... but hope your cruise was a memorable one still.

You didn't mention it was Noro... I guess we are assuming..

But you can pick up anything at any time. Could have gotten it from customs going out, or anywhere going home. The possibilities are endless.

Hope you are feeling better soon. Hope you enjoyed your cruise

So sorry you got sick. It's possible you picked up the bug from the ship. Did you happen to fly to and from the cruise terminal? Airplanes are horrible for catching bugs.

My family of 4 all got viruses (cold, not noro) after our first cruise. Our oldest son, 21 at the time, actually ended up in the hospital due to the virus going into his heart lining.......super scary! I have no idea if we picked up the virus on the ship or on the plane, but it's just one of the unfortunate risks you take when you fly or go on vacation.

Hope you are all feeling better.

We also came home sick from Spirit March 4th, not too sick till we got home though, then it hit me hard. I usually think I got it from the plane, they are awful for spreading stuff.

But there was a woman coughing her head off behind us in an excursion wait area, her whole group thought it was the funniest thing that I didn't want to stand in front of her, and moved elsewhere :rolleyes: more of the "only me counts" folks that are becoming so common.

But as a nurse I KNOW how far those bugs can fly with a cough, and you have an open mouth and breath in when she's coughing a droplet can fly right in your mouth. Appetizing huh? :D;)

Anyway URI after the trip for hubby, noro like symptoms for me.

But half our city is having this, it's not just cruises and planes, tis the season.

You all have made me feel much better, thanks for posting.

No I don't think it was noro-virus, because what we had was not gastro-intestinal in nature, but severe head and chest mucuous congestion, which made us very lethargic w/sore throat. We asked our families not to call due to the fact that it hurt to talk!

I'm certain we did not contract it on the plane because I began coughing before we arrived at the airport. It could have been the ship, cruise terminal, cab, hotel, anywhere, as others have said. Just our luck of the draw, and while we both felt this was among the worst viruses we have ever had, we realize things could have been much worse!

We love cruising and certainly don't want to let this one bad experience ruin things for us!

Kyrisong1 I am so sorry you got sick also, I hope you are feeling better! You were so smart to move away from that woman who was coughing--makes me more conscious of how important it is to cover our mouths with tissue before coughing or sneezing, just like our Mother's taught us!

Thanks again for your support!

My family was EXTREMELY sick also! My mom started getting sick while we were on board the others of us were sick coming home and after. This was our 3rd cruise with Carnival and 6th overall. I can say our room steward was sick and the rooms were never all that clean. This was not the best cruise we have ever been on, if the crew is ill, they should stay away from the cruisers!

No I don't think it was noro-virus, because what we had was not gastro-intestinal in nature, but severe head and chest mucuous congestion, which made us very lethargic w/sore throat. We asked our families not to call due to the fact that it hurt to talk!

Consider yourselves lucky that it was not noro. As far as the rhinovirus, you'd be surprised how often people touch their noses and mouths. Easy enough to get a cold even when you are meticulous about washing.

On a side note, I got the "cruise ship sickness" (noro) last week, but was nowhere near a cruise ship. Just shows you never know.

My husband and I just got over that. It was horrible. We haven't been near a ship in almost a year though. You could have picked it up on one of the islands. Who knows. Glad you are feeling better because that was a really bad virus.

Oh that is going around here!!! I didn't go on a cruise but caught it and after 2 months of having it I'm so sick of it!!! I got antiobiotics too and it still stayed around. It's not as bad as before but it's still there every so often.

I hope you feel better soon!

I'm certain we did not contract it on the plane because I began coughing before we arrived at the airport. It could have been the ship, cruise terminal, cab, hotel, anywhere, as others have said. Just our luck of the draw, and while we both felt this was among the worst viruses we have ever had, we realize things could have been much worse!

We love cruising and certainly don't want to let this one bad experience ruin things for us!

Kyrisong1 I am so sorry you got sick also, I hope you are feeling better! You were so smart to move away from that woman who was coughing--makes me more conscious of how important it is to cover our mouths with tissue before coughing or sneezing, just like our Mother's taught us!

I had the same thing after out cruise in January. Was down for two weeks. Then my wife had it a couple of weeks later, then found out it is a serious virus going around everywhere. I have one child with it even now. But if you are going to get it then what better way than from a cruise.

smiley-laughing006.gif

I was on that sailing, and we were not ill at all...the only sickness came from my heart when they made me get off the ship :(

My family was EXTREMELY sick also! My mom started getting sick while we were on board the others of us were sick coming home and after. This was our 3rd cruise with Carnival and 6th overall. I can say our room steward was sick and the rooms were never all that clean. This was not the best cruise we have ever been on, if the crew is ill, they should stay away from the cruisers!

Hmmm...you've never posted before this post? Odd timing...

Hmmm...you've never posted before this post? Odd timing...

Guienevere_Arianette,

They did wait almost three years before posting. Perhaps they don't have much to say? :o I guess it's proof positive that people are more likely to speak up with something negative instead of positive. ;) :D

We sailed March 2-7 from Galveston, Had a fabulous cruise for our anniversary, On the shuttle from ship to airport woman across the aisle coughing her head off, not always covering her mouth. Two days after arriving home, upper respiratory, major chest congestion, sore throat, headache.....enuf said!!! I am still nursing this cough! Knocked me for a loop!! I think to much good time cruising depleted my resistance :( Im dumb huh!!! Still had a great time, don't think it came from the ship Hope everyone else heals up soon!!!!! Happy Cruising!!!!:)

Sailed Independance the week before Christmas. First day back high fever 103 bone chills staff infection to the artificial knee. Shouldn't have gone in the hot top i guess is the only thing they can think of. Didn't lose knee but they had to flush it and i haven't been back to work yet. A super long vacation......................................

I don't think it was a 'ship' thing. That little bug has been making the rounds at work for months. I'm sure other paxs where 'blooming' at the time of your cruise. But even without a cruise I got that the same thing, along with about 60 percent of my co-workers in the past few months. No ship involved.

Starts out as a 'cold'..but not a cold, sore throat, head congession, feaver,..settles into upper respiratory, makes you feel very tired, 'sick' not like just a common cold. Then you cough up oysters for a couple of weeks. Great fun! And yes, it's the worse I've been sick in a few years.

See all you people that get sick, its because you don't wash your hands.:confused:

Don't you think they would be happy to stay away? They are not given time off for illness, they just keep going because they have to.

It's the Air Conditioning folks. Just like on planes, the air is being recirculated and I find that the closer the ship is to going to drydock, the bigger chance of getting the creeping crud. Will it keep me from cruising, well let's see, I've done 37 so far and deposited on 9 more, so I guess the answer is no.

Archived