PG Marquessas Cruise on Jan. 22

kaystief

Anyone going on the PG Marquessas Cruise on Jan 22 ? This is our first Radisson Cruise and we are extremely excited. Ten years ago we took a very large cruise ship and said we'd never cruise again, even if it was free. This cruise is just too tempting to pass up and it's definitely not free (or even close). I've read all the postings and don't think I've read anything bad at all. We'll be happy for any advise or fellow cruisers on Jan 22.

We just got back from the Nov-Dec Marquesas cruise. It was great. The PG is a fabulous ship, the food is great and the fellow passengers very interesting.We met people from all over the world.The cruise was even better due to the enrichment lectures. The lecturers were experts in the Marquesan and Society Islands culture and history. We got so much more from the shore excursions after the lectures and also from having them along on the excursions. The Marquesas are unlike most other islands in that they are very remote and sparsely populated. When you but a carving or other piece, you are buying it from the person who made it. Be advised that the locals do not speak English, only French and Marquesan, and they do not take American $$, only FP francs. All the shore excursions we took were great except for one which was way overpriced and terrible. If you want specific info on shore excursions, I'd be happy to provide it.

Be also advised that it is VERY HOT there. Some days we changed clothes 3 times. There is no self service laundry on the PG but their laundry rates are very resonable.Take plenty of heavy duty sunscreen and bug spray with DEET. I am usually a mosquito banquet but covered myself with OFF and only got 3 bites. The snorlel gear supplied by the ship is very good but we took our own masks. When it rains, it gets very muddy on shore so take shoes that you don't care about for those times.

Most people dressed for dinner- not formal - but nice dresses and some sport coats.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Thanks, Trinadad for the great information! I also will be interested to know which excursions were great and which were not. Also, everyone speaks about the insects and I wonder if its possible to keep the cabin window or balcony door open at night (are there screens?). Are mosquitos a problem on the ship as well as on the islands? Also, some people have said that they would have liked more shaded areas around the pool and on the sun deck. I am uncomfortable in direct sun for too long and am wondering if this came up on your cruise.

In an unrelated matter: In your travels around the islands, considering there are many carvers in the Marquessas, did you hapen to notice any chess sets for sale (we collect)?

Thanks again and I'm so happy that you had a great time.

Kay

Kay,

My impression is that the ship is fairly well booked. We originally opted for a Window cabin and were told that only Cat. D was available. We accepted that and were not given a cabin #. I then had buyer's remorse, deciding that I'd rather be in a balcony cabin. We were able to get a Cat. C and assigned a cabin #. So my impression was that it was the last one available. Most of the websites I checked all said balconies were sold out.

As for the name, I could tell it was a mistake as soon as I posted a message. Ishmael and Typee are literary references to Herman Melville's books (Moby Dick and Typee, specifically.) I've never actually read either, but may have to take a stab at Typee. It is described as: "Typee is the first "romance" of the South Seas, a semi-autobiographical account of life in the Marquesas Islands in the 1840s. A blend of personal experience and the narratives of explorers and missionaries, it influenced many later writers on the Pacific, including Robert Louis Stevenson and Jack London." And if you're still with me this far (and most likely you are planning to hide for two weeks or even change to a different cruise date), the name is actually Mark. (And I'm not at all like this makes me sound.)

Call me anything, but don't call me late to a glass of champagne.

The excursion I do not recommend was on Nuka Hiva (Hatiheu), the cultural tour. First, we had to report for the tour at 7:30 and got to town by 8ish. We drove a short way to an overlook for photos, then to an archeological site that was very interesting. Next, we drove back down to the Cultural center. It was interesting with locals making poipoi, singing and dancing. BUT THERE WERE NO BATHROOMS. The kaikai or lunch was not until noon and we just stood around for hours. Other passengers just walked up from town and enjoyed the free show and everything except for the lunch. Most people ate very little of the lunch as there were flies everywhere and no one had any idea about what the food was. The poipoi was not bad- pounded breadfruit.

So, we paid $99. for something that everyone else got for free.

The other excursions were great-

Hiva Oa-Atuona to Taaoa- visit to archeological site. very bumpy ride but very interesting. Mosquitos

Ua Huka Vaipaee- Ua Huka Discovery- GREAT. Drive to 2 very remote villages, beatuful scenery, our favorite island. Great wood carvings at resonable prices (not cheap) in both villages.

Nuka Hiva (Taiohae)- Taipivai Valley. Airconditioned ride up and down to the Typee valley. Beautiful. For "Survivor" fans, you can see Survivor Beach.

Moorea- we did Aquablue. You walk on the bottom of the lagoon with a diving helmet on. Absolutely facinating. Got to pet sting rays. They feel like velvet.

We booked all our excursions on-line before we left and had no problem.

Bugs- no problem on the ship. It does rain and gets windy so when you are at sea, do not keep your sliding door open. In port, we had it open whenever we were home. I am a mosquito magnet so when they mentioned mosguitos and nonos, I covered myself on Deep Woods Off and wore a light long sleeved blouse on shore. I only got 3 bites.

Shade- a definite problem on deck. People ran out at daybreak and put their stuff on lounge chairs in shady spots and parked there all day. If you are creative, you can find a spot in the shade.

Chess sets- yes, I did see some but I can't remember where.

It was a wonderful cruise, the service was superlative, the food fantastic. Having a balcony was wonderful. We had coffee every morning and pre-dinner cocktails there every night. Because you are in the middle of nowhere you can sit out there in your jammies.

BTW- I read "Typee" before we went and then found out from one of the lecturers that Melville made up most of it. It was interesting but I skimmed through it.

let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Trinidad,

Thanks for the helpful info. Believe it or not, the Nuka Hiva tour is now listed at $125. :eek:

Additional questions:

How did you spend your time on Fatu Hiva? It looks like a do-it-yourself is the only option?

Did you hear any reports from people who took the church service shuttle on Nuka Hiva (Taiohae)? We're not church goers as a rule, but they say the singing is wonderful and it sounds like a true cultural experience.

Any suggestions for Rangiroa?

At Taha'a, can you do both an excursion and the motu barbeque? Or should we skip Taha'a and just hang out on the motu?

Thanks for the help!

On Fatu Hiva, we went into town. At the "dock" (if you can call it that) there are only steep stone steps with BIG Marquesans hauling you out of the tender onto the dock. Wear rubber soled shoes! They did a great job and everyone, even some fragile older folks made it. You walk a short way into town to the Town Square where they have a show with almost everyone in town participating. It was nice. There is a large handicrafts building. Fatu Hiva specializes in tapa and there were some gorgeous ones for sale. They also had a good selection of carvings. Be aware that here and everywhere in the Marquesas, the locals do not speak English, only French and Marquesan. Also, get small denomonation FP francs as no one had change for the large bills the ship gave us. There is a small but interesting museum and some people hiked to an archeological site that was evidently interesting but mosquito populated.

We didn't go to church in Nuka Hiva but those that did said it was great. We did visit the Cathedral and it is unbelievable. The carvings and the altar are amazing, like nothing I've seen.

On Rangiroa we snorkeled the "Aquarium" which is actually on the calmer side of a small motu in the channel. There were a lot of fish and some small white-tip sharks. The second day we tendered to the village- nothing there. We walked to the ocean side of the atoll and saw the town dump. It was actually neat and tidy. There is really nothing to do on shore. The big thing here is diving and snorkeling. The drift snorkel is something. You drift through the channel REALLY fast. The boat goes ahead of you. We did not do it and talked with some who did. Some people liked it and one woman said she was totally exhausted afterward. It was a very calm day when we were there. This is only for strong experienced snorkelers.

On Tah'aa we spent the whole day at the motu. It is wonderful. Fish all over. You can wade out and just look at the fish without even putting on a mask. Good BBQ, nice facilities, showers, everything you could want. You can take the tour and go to the Motu. Some friends took the tour and said it was good.

Radisson also has a Motu on Bora Bora which is really nice also. There are no facilities there except for a bar, no food however. Here also you can snorkel or just wade in the water and look at the fishies.

Archived