Transfers

CRUISERSWITHKIDS

I'll try to make this as easy to understand as possible, but I know it can be confusing.

Princess automatically put the transfers from the airport to pier and from hotel to airport on our booking. According to one Princess rep, on the booking confirmation it is the charges on the Mods line under the pricing details. We explained to her that since we are planning on taking a taxi to the motel, that we did not need the Princess transfers so she removed them saving us $152.00. We later made changes to our booking and asked that Princess rep to remove them and she said "we don't want to do that! It not only gets us from airport to pier and hotel to airport but also includes the transfers from lodge to lodge while we are on our land tour." I thought all that transportation was included in the cost of the landtour. It doesn't seem to me that it would be so cheap to get from one lodge to the next considering we are going to Kenai to Mckinley to Danali to Fairbanks.

Does anybody know the answer to this or had the same/similar issues?

I know it's not a ton of money to save but there are 4 of us and are already spending a pretty penny to get there. All savings adds up!

I'll try to make this as easy to understand as possible, but I know it can be confusing.

Princess automatically put the transfers from the airport to pier and from hotel to airport on our booking. According to one Princess rep, on the booking confirmation it is the charges on the Mods line under the pricing details. We explained to her that since we are planning on taking a taxi to the motel, that we did not need the Princess transfers so she removed them saving us $152.00. We later made changes to our booking and asked that Princess rep to remove them and she said "we don't want to do that! It not only gets us from airport to pier and hotel to airport but also includes the transfers from lodge to lodge while we are on our land tour." I thought all that transportation was included in the cost of the landtour. It doesn't seem to me that it would be so cheap to get from one lodge to the next considering we are going to Kenai to Mckinley to Danali to Fairbanks.

Does anybody know the answer to this or had the same/similar issues?

I know it's not a ton of money to save but there are 4 of us and are already spending a pretty penny to get there. All savings adds up!

I agree, something doesn't make sense here. Transfers are 'usually' when you arrive and disembark, they aren't to transfer you from lodge to lodge as that is part of your land tour. Did you speak with only one CSR, or did you call back and try to get someone else. I would ask to speak to someone who knew what they were talking about. It sounds to me like you have booked transfers from the airport to hotel, hotel to pier, only. And if you plan not to use them, I agree, it is a waste of money.

One more question though, what about afterward, are you planning to use transfers when you disembark the ship back to the airport?

Call your TA, I don't know the answer it looks like others don't either. AFAIK you're correct, the land tour includes transportation between the lodges. The price you're paying sounds correct for transportation from the airport to your hotel then to the pier.

Are you sure booking the hotel through Princess was cost effective? A poster on betterbidding.com recently got the Westin Bayshore for $86 per night (7/3 to 7/5).

That said I think Princess includes transfers with a pre-cruise hotel booking. I don't know if they'll let you decline the transfers.

Call your TA, I don't know the answer it looks like others don't either. AFAIK you're correct, the land tour includes transportation between the lodges. The price you're paying sounds correct for transportation from the airport to your hotel then to the pier.

Are you sure booking the hotel through Princess was cost effective? A poster on betterbidding.com recently got the Westin Bayshore for $86 per night (7/3 to 7/5).

That said I think Princess includes transfers with a pre-cruise hotel booking. I don't know if they'll let you decline the transfers.

We didn't book our hotel through Princess. We booked that independently. Thats why I thought It seemed odd that one of them would let us cancel and then the other rep made us put them back on when we made changes.

I agree, something doesn't make sense here. Transfers are 'usually' when you arrive and disembark, they aren't to transfer you from lodge to lodge as that is part of your land tour. Did you speak with only one CSR, or did you call back and try to get someone else. I would ask to speak to someone who knew what they were talking about. It sounds to me like you have booked transfers from the airport to hotel, hotel to pier, only. And if you plan not to use them, I agree, it is a waste of money.

One more question though, what about afterward, are you planning to use transfers when you disembark the ship back to the airport?

We are doing the land portion of our vacation after the cruise. We will be at a Fairbanks hotel when we have to get to the airport. I figure it'll be cheaper to take a taxi. And at the Princess Fairbanks hotel, they advertise on their web site that they have free shuttle service to the airport so why pay for a transfer:rolleyes:

I called Princess two more times yesterday. I made sure I verified this with at least 2 more CSR's through Princess. They are in fact the transfers for pre and post cruise to and from the airport. I naturally had them removed.

Thank you all for your input. I didn't want to call again without some advice from cc message board. When I call about something I like to be correct about it instead of being made out as an idiot!

Archived