Dubrovnik- which beach and how to get there?

Thinking a walk thru old Town and some time at the beach might be the way to go.

Any advice on which beach and the easiest way to get there? There will be 6 of us. Thanks.

There is only one beach close to Stari Grad (old town), it's called Banja beach. Also note that it is not a sandy beach, but as many beaches in Croatia are, small pebbles. Part of the beach is free and the other is a must pay, for chairs or umbrellas or massage bed.

Personally I don't believe that a walk through town and down to the beach is the way to visit Dubrovnik is the way to go. Walking the city walls is an experience not to be missed and the views are amazing. There is more to Croatia than beaches....

we did the city last year and loved it but as we are returning for a second time this year we want to do something different, the cruise line has few options, I would like to see some of the out islands or do something else that is as memorable as the old city was, any suggestions?

Yes- Which is what made me want to go to the beach!!

Dubrovnik Lady- I completely understand your point of view..however we will have our 2 children with us, and are needing to mix a little fun for them into the trip as well.. Making sure there is a little something for everyone.

In your opinion, would you walk the wall with a 2 YO? I had heard it was not an activity for children... Do you have any other recommendations? Clearly you know alot about the port, and i welcome additional thoughts.

Thanks!

Yes- Which is what made me want to go to the beach!!

Dubrovnik Lady- I completely understand your point of view..however we will have our 2 children with us, and are needing to mix a little fun for them into the trip as well.. Making sure there is a little something for everyone.

In your opinion, would you walk the wall with a 2 YO? I had heard it was not an activity for children... Do you have any other recommendations? Clearly you know alot about the port, and i welcome additional thoughts.

Thanks!

Yes I do know about Dubrovnik, as I live here. Walking the walls with a 2 year old might be tough, I wouldn't try it. You could take the shuttle to Lokrum, about a 15 minute ride. The island might be more to the liking for a child, as it does have peacocks wandering around. Also there's a small area called "Dead water" which you can swim with a small child.

You could also take the shuttle down to Cavtat, a wonderful small town just south of Dubrovnik. Small, quiet but a nice place for lunch on the waterfront. Again, small boat ride may be fun for your youngster.

You don't mention time of year. Do remember that the Adriatic is not a very warm body of water. I can hardly swim in it in August, but that's only because I lived in Hawaii and love the warm water.

Thank you so much!! I saw Lokrum on TV last night- it looked nice.. annd I also thought of Cavtat...

Do we get a taxi to Cavtat? How far is it? Or it sounds like you recommend by boat? Sounds like a lovely spot to enjoy the beauty of the country...what little of it we will be able to see!! We are avid boaters so both kids will enjoy a boat ride, as will hubby. Would I arrange that in advance?

We are coming mid May- so thanks for that- probably too cool to swim... Appreciate the heads up!

I thought it was Paris Hilton lol- don't know my blonds too well, anyhow it did make me think of the beach as well - we will be there early July but was wondering if Dubrovnik Lady could give us any other suggestions, loved the old city and the walls (one of the best meals I had on my trip was in old town) but want to see something new.

There is only one beach close to Stari Grad (old town), it's called Banja beach. Also note that it is not a sandy beach, but as many beaches in Croatia are, small pebbles. Part of the beach is free and the other is a must pay, for chairs or umbrellas or massage bed.

Personally I don't believe that a walk through town and down to the beach is the way to visit Dubrovnik is the way to go. Walking the city walls is an experience not to be missed and the views are amazing. There is more to Croatia than beaches....

Dear Dubrovnik Travel Lady,

Delighted to make your acquaintance. We are going to be in Dubrovnik in June, off the Ruby Princess. Unfortunately we will only be in port from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm. We spent two days in Dubrovnik 31 years ago during our honeymoon and have wonderful memories of just walking through the city. The options from the ship are very limited but the time available is as well. We are traveling without children and still young enough to walk and take in the sights. What would you recommend? Cavtat? The Beach at Banja? Or walking the walls, the town and sitting at a wonderful restaurant to people watch? Could you recommend a restaurant for lunch?

Danny and Jill

Phoenix, AZ

Thank you so much!! I saw Lokrum on TV last night- it looked nice.. annd I also thought of Cavtat...

Do we get a taxi to Cavtat? How far is it? Or it sounds like you recommend by boat? Sounds like a lovely spot to enjoy the beauty of the country...what little of it we will be able to see!! We are avid boaters so both kids will enjoy a boat ride, as will hubby. Would I arrange that in advance?

We are coming mid May- so thanks for that- probably too cool to swim... Appreciate the heads up!

Your ship will probably be docked in the new port. Take a cab or the ship shuttle service to Stari Grad (old town). Go down to the old port, located on the eastern most point. You will find several small ferry services to take you to Cavtat, nothing fancy for a short ride. Can't remember perhaps 20 minutes...Lovely small town, not too busy and just an easy walking area with many small restaurants at the seafront.

The Adriatic is not a warm body of water, for me. I barely can get in it during August, but that's because I loved the waters in Hawaii. It's doubtful you'll be swimming in May, although many locals are going full force as early as May 1....

I thought it was Paris Hilton lol- don't know my blonds too well, anyhow it did make me think of the beach as well - we will be there early July but was wondering if Dubrovnik Lady could give us any other suggestions, loved the old city and the walls (one of the best meals I had on my trip was in old town) but want to see something new.

My first question is did you really visit Dubrovnik or just walk the walls and around town? There are some lovely sights, which are not on the main drag...For example did you find Buza bar or Rupe? Did you get a chance to take a ride up to the top of Mt. Srd (Surge) where the large cross is located and visit the old museum? There is a small mini van which will take you to the top, however it does not bring you back. This means a walk down the mountain, following the main path. It's not a difficult walk and the view is well worth it. You can also hire a taxi to take you to the top but you MUST negotiate the price.

May I suggest that you all take a good look at the Dubrovnik tourist bureau website, it is filled with very good information. And again there is a town map on the site, please do download it.

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/english/index.php

Dear Dubrovnik Travel Lady,

Delighted to make your acquaintance. We are going to be in Dubrovnik in June, off the Ruby Princess. Unfortunately we will only be in port from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm. We spent two days in Dubrovnik 31 years ago during our honeymoon and have wonderful memories of just walking through the city. The options from the ship are very limited but the time available is as well. We are traveling without children and still young enough to walk and take in the sights. What would you recommend? Cavtat? The Beach at Banja? Or walking the walls, the town and sitting at a wonderful restaurant to people watch? Could you recommend a restaurant for lunch?

Danny and Jill

Phoenix, AZ

There are many restaurants in town, some good and some....well not so good and overpriced. Nava, just on a side street opposite the Mala Brac bell tower, has good Dalmatian home cooking. Also the Orhan, located in Pile bay with a view which is breathtaking. Good food, fresh fish and they have lamb under the peka but that does require a 24 hour advance request. Another interesting place is the Tah Mahal, it is Bosnian food and my favorite are Cevapci which is a small type of sausage, definetely a meat lovers choice. Back alley, hard to find and always very busy, very small with only a few tables both inside and out. You can have lunch at many good restaurants and after plan to do your people watching at the best spot in town - Gradska Kavana. You can have a cool drink, pastry or coffee and it is the best people watch place in Stari Grad.

Walking the city walls is a must, as the views are so worth the 2 kilometer trek with a grand total of 650 steps....do it early, bring water and make sure you have a hat and camera. What time of year will you be in Dubrovnik?

Did anyone see Bridgett (Heff's girlfriend) with her show on the Travel Channel last night "Sexiest Beaches? She was in Dubrovnik.

Since we don't get the travel channel in Dubrovnik, please tell me just exactly which beach was the sexiest beach. There is a part of Lokrum which is for nudists? Was she in town at Banja? Did they happen to mention when she was here. When a celebrity comes to town, it's all over our papers and there was nothing about her in the past year. Hvala

I'm not sure what beach the went to. They got on a boat and went around to a very small beach. They played "picigin" with a group of guys. I't did not look like the pictures I have seen of Banje Beach. They did mention Banje Beach and showed Lokrum Island from the mainland. They filmed the girls walking around town and also finding the "hole in the wall" bar. They sat out at one of the tables and talked with some men that were in the water swimming. (very large rocks)

She mainly spoke of the Croatia coastline in general as being beautiful.

Ok, I went to the Travel Channel website to see when she was there but I couldn't find a date. She was at Banje Beach with the guys in the water. She went to Buza Bar and she said she did go to Lokrum and did some cliff jumping.

The web site is: bridget-blog.travelchannel.com/read/croatia

Ok, I went to the Travel Channel website to see when she was there but I couldn't find a date. She was at Banje Beach with the guys in the water. She went to Buza Bar and she said she did go to Lokrum and did some cliff jumping.

The web site is: bridget-blog.travelchannel.com/read/croatia

Thanks for the information, I did visit the website and noticed that she was here sometime this past October. Our local newspaper didn't even bother to mention it, guess they were impressed. It appeared to me that this was some type of bikini commercial as I didn't see them doing anything except posing at a beach which was not Banja. Also they show a photo which is labeled Banja, but it is not. Frankly you can get a better view of Dubrovnik by watching the video of Matt Lauer when he was here in 2005.

Didn't think it was worth my time, so I went into my yard and looked down on the old town for my daily fix....

There are many restaurants in town, some good and some....well not so good and overpriced. Nava, just on a side street opposite the Mala Brac bell tower, has good Dalmatian home cooking. Also the Orhan, located in Pile bay with a view which is breathtaking. Good food, fresh fish and they have lamb under the peka but that does require a 24 hour advance request. Another interesting place is the Tah Mahal, it is Bosnian food and my favorite are Cevapci which is a small type of sausage, definetely a meat lovers choice. Back alley, hard to find and always very busy, very small with only a few tables both inside and out. You can have lunch at many good restaurants and after plan to do your people watching at the best spot in town - Gradska Kavana. You can have a cool drink, pastry or coffee and it is the best people watch place in Stari Grad.

Walking the city walls is a must, as the views are so worth the 2 kilometer trek with a grand total of 650 steps....do it early, bring water and make sure you have a hat and camera. What time of year will you be in Dubrovnik?

We will be in Dubrovnik in June 2009

Danny and Jill

We will be in Dubrovnik in June 2009

Danny and Jill

Ruby Princess will be in docked in the Gruz on Thursday, 11 June at Pier 10. The only other ship, Crystal Serenity, will be at anchor in the old port. It should be a wonderful day to see our sights and find a lovely restaurant which serves our local Dalmatian cooking. Total cruise count is only at 3800 which is means old town will not be overly crowded. You will have your choice of restaurants as in June everything will be open.

To the op...

I see you are from the NorthEast...

the beach won't be anything like what you might experience at the jersey shore or down in florida..

as a Calif girl..it didn't look appealing to me as it was very rocky.

We were there in mid May for a week as part of our land vacation and the water while beautiful was freezing.

Honestly, I don't have any suggestions with a 2 year old in tow.

Around the corner from St. Blaise near the Konzum supermarket is an area that periodically has a farmers market...and lots of pigeons your little one

can chase around.

I wouldnt chance the wall with a little one, it's steep coming up and down from the wall and I would be concerned for the balance and safety of the person carrying the precious cargo :)

Ruby Princess will be in docked in the Gruz on Thursday, 11 June at Pier 10. The only other ship, Crystal Serenity, will be at anchor in the old port. It should be a wonderful day to see our sights and find a lovely restaurant which serves our local Dalmatian cooking. Total cruise count is only at 3800 which is means old town will not be overly crowded. You will have your choice of restaurants as in June everything will be open.

Dubrovniklady, thanks for your really valuable information. How to check how many cruise ships wil be in Dubrovnik August, 19th 2009?

Dubrovniklady, thanks for your really valuable information. How to check how many cruise ships wil be in Dubrovnik August, 19th 2009?

Normally Saturday & Sunday are the busiest days for cruisers and August is high, high season. The best news that I can give you is that Dubrovnik has a new ship policy in force, no more than 5 mega cruisers in port on any one day. This is much improved over the difficult June, July & August of last year. Notice I am trying to soften the blow and it's not bad at all.

MSC Armonia with 2199 guests, legend of the Seas with 2050 both in port of Gruz and Costa with 3470 at anchor in the old town. It will be busy so plan your day accordingly. Make sure you download the map from the Dubrovnik tourist bureau.

Hello Dubrovniktravelady,

Thanks for your contributions, I appreciate your wealth of information. I am wondering if you can provide your insight in my case as well. My family and I, total 4 people, will dock in Dubrovnik May 30 on Brilliance of the Seas. We do not have anything planned as yet. I am a wheelchair user, cannot walk but I use a folding wheelchair so I can get into a taxi. I know walking the walls will be impossible but I wanted to find a way to see some pretty sites. Any ideas or suggestions for a wheelchair user?

Thanks in advance! :)

My first question is did you really visit Dubrovnik or just walk the walls and around town? There are some lovely sights, which are not on the main drag...For example did you find Buza bar or Rupe? Did you get a chance to take a ride up to the top of Mt. Srd (Surge) where the large cross is located and visit the old museum? There is a small mini van which will take you to the top, however it does not bring you back. This means a walk down the mountain, following the main path. It's not a difficult walk and the view is well worth it. You can also hire a taxi to take you to the top but you MUST negotiate the price.

May I suggest that you all take a good look at the Dubrovnik tourist bureau website, it is filled with very good information. And again there is a town map on the site, please do download it.

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/english/index.php

Thnk you for all of your wealth of information. We did see old town inside and out, found the hole in the wall to go to the great restaurant on the cliffs, this time I want to do something totally different. Can you recommend any private guides who would take us away from the tourist spots?

Hello Dubrovniktravelady,

Thanks for your contributions, I appreciate your wealth of information. I am wondering if you can provide your insight in my case as well. My family and I, total 4 people, will dock in Dubrovnik May 30 on Brilliance of the Seas. We do not have anything planned as yet. I am a wheelchair user, cannot walk but I use a folding wheelchair so I can get into a taxi. I know walking the walls will be impossible but I wanted to find a way to see some pretty sites. Any ideas or suggestions for a wheelchair user?

Thanks in advance! :)

Best you have something very lightweight and folding. Is there any way you can get up a few steps at all? There is the Cabrio bus which is a wonderful 2 hour ride all around the upper part of the old town and into the Lapad area. If not, my suggestion is that you think about hiring a taxi to do the same kind of trip. You will be able to travel into the old town and see most of the sights from the outside, but there are steps into most churches and museums.

My niece has MS and she also uses a chair, just got a new titanium.

She still lives in California but I hope next year....so I've done some checking but not enough.

Please give me some time on this, I need to take a much better look around town. I need to know some specific personal details, please do contact me directly via the blog. Dubrovnik is not a wheelchair friendly town, but I will figure out something.

Archived